• 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Can't connect to my R6300v2 externally.

Hi,
Got a Netgear R6300v2, Firmware Version V1.0.3.28_10.0.71.

I have checked Turn Remote Management On and under the Remote Management Address: it says: https://213.xxx.xxx.xxx:8443.
Also I have checked the radio button Everyone under Allow Remote Access By:

When I try reach my router externally I get the following error in my Chrome browser:

This webpage is not available

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
Hide details
A secure connection cannot be established because this site uses an unsupported protocol.

What am I doing wrong? Port Forwarding is working as it should, I just seem to get the interface for the router externally.
I remember this has worked for me earlier...
/IL

Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect to my R6300v2 externally.

Most likely due to the SSL Heartbleed bug.

If you use IE, it will most likely work.

For a long-term solution install a proper SSL certificate.

As a temporary solution, you can set the SSLVersionMin via admin policy or launch Chrome with --ssl-version-min=ssl3. However note that this is only a temporary measure and support for SSL 3.0 will be removed altogether in the future.

http://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3#SSLVersionMin

Not certain if the ability has been removed altogether by now. Good luck!
Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi and thanks for the answer,
Tried using IE and getting the following:

Turn on TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2 in Advanced settings and try connecting to https://xxxxxxxxxx.xxxxx.org:8443 again. If this error persists, contact your site administrator.

All TLS are checked in Advanced settings in IE...
Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
Tutor

This affects a number of Netgear routers. You are far from alone. However, Netgear has yet to write firmware patches. We are all waiting for patches to allow us to use TLS. SSL is dead. No way for any of us to safely use remote connection to our routers until Netgear fixes it. We're stuck.
Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

tomed wrote:
This affects a number of Netgear routers. You are far from alone. However, Netgear has yet to write firmware patches. We are all waiting for patches to allow us to use TLS. SSL is dead. No way for any of us to safely use remote connection to our routers until Netgear fixes it. We're stuck.

OMG. Thanks for the answer. I should have sticked to my Asus Router. :mad:
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

I had this same issue and found a Microsoft Help article that fixed it. Here is what I did:

You need you need to perform the steps mentioned below to reset web security settings-

a) Open Internet Explorer and click on “Tools”.
b) Now select “Internet Options” and select the “Security” tab.
c) Now select “Trusted Sites” and then select the “Sites” button.
d) Click the "Add" button to add your router's remote management IP address to the list of trusted sites
e.) Click on “Apply” and then “Ok”.

After doing these steps, I was able to successfully access my router from a remote/non-LAN location. The connection was a little slow, but it worked!
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi,
Thanks for a great tip! At first it didn't work but then I checked the boxes "Use SSL 2.0" and "Use SSL 3.0" in IE and, BAM, it works!

Huge THANK YOU!

/IL
Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Tutor

The question should be how to "safely" use remote management. Yes, it is possible to use SSL to do remote management, but the professionals are avoiding it. There is a reason SSL is unchecked in all modern browers by default. You might want to rethink that and push for Netgear to update the firmware on all its routers to use TLS.
Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi,
Thanks for your post. So what you're saying is, is that it is not safe to use SSL? If that's true then it's really weird that Netgear doesn't provide an update. Isn't their business to sell safe and secure routers? :confused:
Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Netgear are aware of this and in the process of updating firmware for a number of router models, I don’t have the fine details of which models or when. I will enquire further.
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi,
Good to hear. Let's hope for a quick update soon then Smiley Very Happy
Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for the follow through, Babylon5. Those of us in the community that use Remote Management do appreciate the urgency. It has been over a year since this problem arose and over six months since all the browsers disabled SSL. We realize new firmware for a full line of routers takes time. Please provide a list of which routers will be updated when. It would be helpful to know if our particular router will be updated this Summer, this Fall, or ignored. Thanks!
Message 12 of 12