× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't get IPv6 on my MacBook Pro thru WNDR3700 then thru CM1000 to Comcast?

iduff
Aspirant

Can't get IPv6 on my MacBook Pro thru WNDR3700 then thru CM1000 to Comcast?

Hello, I have Comcast gigabit cable service coming into a new CM1000 modem. I get an IPv6 address on my MacBook Pro when I directly connect it to the CM1000. This leads me to believe that:

• Comcast is providing IPv6 addresses,
  • My CM1000 is able to handle and pass thru IPv6 addresses,
  • My MacBook Pro is properly configured to automatically be configured with an IPv6 address.

When I connect my CM1000 modem into my WNDR3700v1 N600 WiFi router and reboot the CM1000, connect my Macbook Pro to the router via either WiFi or one of the router's wired ports and reboot the WNDR3700, I do not get an IPv6 address on my MacBook Pro. <bolded, as this is my issue> I cannot figure out how to get the router to either a) provide itself or b) pass from Comcast an IPv6 address to my MacBook Pro.

I recognize that the WNDR3700 is throttling my connectivity, and plan on replacing it soon, but would like to get IPv6 running through to my MacBook Pro sooner that that router replacement.

My WNDR3700 is running firmware version V1.0.16.98NA, which appears to be the latest I'm able to download from the Netgear site.

I've tried all the "Internet Connection Type" options that seem appropriate on the IPv6 menu:

• Auto Detect
  • Auto Config
  • 6to4 Tunnel
  • Pass Through
  • DHCP

I've rebooted the WNDR3700 after each change.

I've left "LAN Setup" to "Auto Config".

I've set the "IPv6 Filtering" option to "Open", as a way to at least establish IPv6 connectivity before I start screwing security back down.

Can anyone provide any guidance on how to get IPv6 on my MacBook Pro? Configuration on my WNDR3700? Replace the WNDR3700?

Thanks.

Model: WNDR3700v1|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
iduff
Aspirant

Re: Can't get IPv6 on my MacBook Pro thru WNDR3700 then thru CM1000 to Comcast?

@DexterJB, thanks for following up. I discovered I need to reboot both my router and my modem, then all is good. Problem solved, thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @iduff, welcome to the community! What is the IP address that you see when you go to Advanced > Internet Port box? Does it show the IPv6 address from the ISP?

Dexter

Message 2 of 3
iduff
Aspirant

@DexterJB, thanks for following up. I discovered I need to reboot both my router and my modem, then all is good. Problem solved, thanks.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7