× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't get USB storage device and USB printer to work together R6300V2

robdog1977
Tutor

Can't get USB storage device and USB printer to work together R6300V2

I've been using an R6300V2 for year with no issues. I've got a 500GB external drive on the USB 3.0 port and it works great. I recently attached an Epson Photo Stylus R260 printer to the USB port on the side of the router and I can't get it to work. I can get either device working fine by itself on the USB 3.0 port but can't get the router to recognize the printer on the USB 2.0 port. I'm using an older firmware because when I try to do an update it tells me the file isn't the correct one for my router. I'm stumped!

Message 1 of 8

Re: Can't get USB storage device and USB printer to work together R6300V2

@robdog1977 wrote:

I'm using an older firmware because when I try to do an update it tells me the file isn't the correct one for my router. I'm stumped!

I'd start by trying to fix that.

What version do you have now?

Don't forget, the V number is important. V1 firmware won't work on V2 devices, and vice versa.

We are talking about a device that is nearly a decade old so it may have problems with newer devices.

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

There was quite a few r6300's made for ISP's that have isp specific firmware on them. So its helpful to know what actual firmware version you're on. 

also, any chance you have a powered usb hub to try it with? 

The R6300's didn't have much power envelope for their usb ports. It might be fine with 1 but 2 being enough to push it over the required power the devices need. 

Message 3 of 8
robdog1977
Tutor

This router is one that was originally supplied by Charter (Spectrum). Right now it is running firmware V1.0.3.6_1.0.63CH, the newest version posted is V1.0.4.2_10.0.74. I realize that the V2 means version 2 and I am trying to install the V2 firmware.

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

Thats a charter communication router. It was sold to isp's and they gave it to customers. So the stock firmware won't work on it (unless you do some playing with ddwrt). 

Message 5 of 8
robdog1977
Tutor

I found this info on another board. There is a DD-WRT firmware that you can use to flash the Charter R6300V2 that will allow you to use any of the factory Netgear firmware or DD-WRT firmware so I guess that's where I'll start.

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

You for sure can try that. And many do with great luck. And some brick their devices. 

Its a risk you run into when flashing 3rd party firmware to it and then back to stock. 

So just be a little cautions. 

Message 7 of 8

@plemans wrote:

So just be a little cautions. 

Very true, but a failure might be a blessing in disguise and prompt @robdog1977 to get something a little newer and more capable than the decade old R6300 series.

But if that happens, be careful to buy something that supports USB. Netgear killed it in Orbi devices a while back.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7