× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't log into router after recent firmware upgrade

smoddelm
Tutor

Can't log into router after recent firmware upgrade

Had been using my router as an access point and I don't think option to upgrade firmware was even available - or maybe I just never loggin to to see if it was.  Anyway, I just reset the router to regular use and saw an upgrade was available.  I did the upgrade and can connect to the internet, my network, etc. just finr.  However, I cannot control the router using either the Netgear Genie on my tablet or logging is at 192.168.1.1, www.routerlogin.net, etc. 

I have tried disabling AV and firewall, rebooting router and all connected computers, etc. Have tried onnecting with ethernet rather than wirelessly.  In IE11 and Firefox, I get the standard "this page cannot be displayed" message telling me to try again later. In Chrome the message is a little differrent - it says the connection to 192.168.1.1 was "refused."

I would really love to be able to control my router.  Any suggestions?

Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
smoddelm
Tutor

OK, I guess I'll reset and buy a new one if it ruins it.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
fivesmaster
Initiate

Hi,

Thanks for posting, as I am having exactly the same problem, just factory reset my router, firmware upgrade, now genie will not let me in on admin/password.  Netgear, let me know how to rollback to a previous firmware so I can login!

Message 2 of 12
smoddelm
Tutor

Do you even get a screen to try to login? I just get page not found. 

Message 3 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try follow the reset instructions below:

1. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on the back of unit for 30seconds.

2. Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds.

3. Power on the unit while STILL pushing the reset button and count for another 30 seconds before letting it go.

That should let you access the admin page of the router using the default login.

Message 4 of 12
smoddelm
Tutor

My only concern about doing this is that right now at least I've got a functioning router (can connect to home netwrok and Internet) - I just can't administer it.  If for some reason this didn't work, I would no longer be able to use the router. 

Message 5 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There's no other way to access again unless you reset.

By doing this you will need to reconfigure the router to get back the connection.

Message 6 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In addition, since your routers are set on AP mode do you still remember what IP address you have assigned on the router? What was the firmware version you had and upgraded to?

If you no longer remember, then resetting should work. Make sure that the router is being fully reset. I suggest that you use a paper clip to push it down.

Message 7 of 12
smoddelm
Tutor

Sorry if I wasn't clear, router was previously set as AP but had been just used as a router when I became unable to administer.  The issue arose immediately after doing firmware update.

Message 8 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you still remember from what firmware to what firmware?

In this way, we will try to replicate and see if this is an issue.

Message 9 of 12
smoddelm
Tutor

I'm afraid I don't.  I bought the router on January 23, 2014 from Amazon and would have upgraded the firmware when I set it up if there was something newer at the time than what it shipped with.  I didn't check for new firmware from then until last weekend.  And I would have upgraded to whatever was current last weekend (which I assume still is).  I know the changelog it said there were 2 security issues fixed, among a few other fixes.

Message 10 of 12
fivesmaster
Initiate

I fixed mine by doing the reset option, works well now

Message 11 of 12
smoddelm
Tutor

OK, I guess I'll reset and buy a new one if it ruins it.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7