× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't login to an account

Turvey
Aspirant

Can't login to an account

I have Model R6400 AC1750 Smart WiFi router (not v2) with firmware version V1.0.1.50, and I can't log in to an account.  The home page loads just fine, but when I click sign in the progress circle spins for about 15 seconds, and then I get an error message which says "The site can't be reached......took too long to respond."  I have rebooted both the modem and router, but that didn't help.  I also contacted the site and was told all is well on their end.  I have no problem logging in to any other site.

I took my computer to another location with WiFi, and I could log in with no problem.  So, the problem has to be with my router.

Any ideas as to what's wrong, and how it can be fixed?  By-the-way, I get a similar error with a smart phone when I try to access the site using the router's WiFi, but when I use data or any other WiFi location, I can log in with no problem.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Turvey
Aspirant

My issue is now solved as I installed the previous  router firmware version (46), and I can now access the site which was giving me the error message.  My thanks to all who offered their recommendations, but all it took was to revert to the previous firmware version.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Turvey, welcome to the community! Please try bypassing the router and connect your computer straight to your ISP's modem to check if the issue will persist. Let us know how that goes.

Dexter

Message 2 of 9
antinode
Guru

> [...] I can't log in to an account. [...]

What kind of "an account"?

> [...] The home page loads just fine, [...]

So, some web site or other?

> [...] So, the problem has to be with my router.

Or, your router's WAN/Internet IP address has been blacklisted for
some reason or other by the mystery web site.

> [...] Please try bypassing the router and connect your computer
> straight to your ISP's modem to check if the issue will persist. [...]

That should test the I-hate-you hypothesis.

Possibly interesting:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1833052

Message 3 of 9
Turvey
Aspirant

There are a couple of more sites where I get the error message.  In looking back, I believe my troubles began when I update the firmware to the latest version (1.0.1.50).  Is there any way to go back to the previous version?

Message 4 of 9

@Turvey wrote:

There are a couple of more sites where I get the error message.  In looking back, I believe my troubles began when I update the firmware to the latest version (1.0.1.50). 

Unlikely. But you haven't answered some of the questions that could help to determine this.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

@Turvey wrote:

There are a couple of more sites where I get the error message.  In looking back, I believe my troubles began when I update the firmware to the latest version (1.0.1.50).  Is there any way to go back to the previous version?

Sure. Visit the support page for your device, browse through the firmware library and read the release notes for advice on how to apply it.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

Message 5 of 9
antinode
Guru

> Is there any way to go back to the previous version?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.

In case of problems (after any firmware change, but especially when
downdating), a settings reset and manual reconfiguration might be a good
idea.  If you saved your settings when running a particular firmware
version, then that saved-settings file should be good when you revert to
that same firmware version.  (I'd expect greater risk when restoring a
saved-settings file from a different version, especially one from a
later version.)

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "reset" and
"Manage the Router Configuration File".

Message 6 of 9
Turvey
Aspirant

Thanks for all your replies, and following are a few comments:

1. I have checked for blacklisted and blocked sites, but none were found.

2. I am a little reluctant to reset the router to factory settings.  I read a couple of postings saying that this did not reset the"latest" firmware to the original factory version.

3. I thought about bypassing the router, but I'll need an inline coupler to do this.  The tower of my computer is in a computer cabinet, and it's a real chore remove it together with a lot of cables, and plug in the cable from the modem.  I think a coupler would be the best bet which I can connect the to and from cables at the router.

4. I downloaded the previous firmware version (1.0.1.46), but before I do anything, I want to make sure it will overwrite the currently installed version (1.0.1.50).  Will it do that?  If so, I think that's the route I will take since version ......46 worked with no problem.  What do you think?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Turvey

Message 7 of 9

@Turvey wrote:

2. I am a little reluctant to reset the router to factory settings.  I read a couple of postings saying that this did not reset the"latest" firmware to the original factory version.

Correct. What a reset does do is to erase settings that may be block you from various things and that may interfere with operations.

You don't want to get back to the original firmware. That is bound to be out of date.

If you really want to do that, you can manually "update" the firmware with the original version.

@Turvey wrote:

3. I thought about bypassing the router, but I'll need an inline coupler to do this. 

Thanks for your help and advice.

No idea what that means.

What @DexterJB is suggesting is that you unplug your PC from the router and plug it into the modem instead.

To make this test, unplug PC from router, unplug router from modem, plug PC into modem.

If your setup makes that difficult, then you have a badly arranged system. It is important to be able to swap connections between various devices.

@Turvey wrote:

...I want to make sure it will overwrite the currently installed version (1.0.1.50).  Will it do that? 

Yes.

Message 8 of 9
Turvey
Aspirant

My issue is now solved as I installed the previous  router firmware version (46), and I can now access the site which was giving me the error message.  My thanks to all who offered their recommendations, but all it took was to revert to the previous firmware version.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7