Can't see devices on the wired network from the wireless device (laptop) and vice-versa

wa4ywm
Aspirant

Can't see devices on the wired network from the wireless device (laptop) and vice-versa

I have 2 PC's and a network storage device on the wired network. I have a laptop running WIN 10 on the wireless side. The two sides do not see each other.

The router is a R6220.

I cannot ping the wired devices from the laptop.

I have tried all the usual solutions:

Access Control on the router

Network Discovery enabled

Laptop is on Private Network

Note that this configuration worked with my previous router.

Any other ideas?

Message 1 of 15
IT_Ronin911
Aspirant

Re: Can't see devices on the wired network from the wireless device (laptop) and vice-versa

Had this same problem with one of these routers when trying to connect to a wireless Brother printer.  The network setup was:

1 PC connected to LAN1 on the router.

1 ROKU device connected on 2.4ghz network.

1 Brother MFC-470DW printer connected on the 2.4 ghz network.

1 ROKU device connected on the 5 ghz network.

I had two SSID's on the router for each network; SSIDNAME for 2.4ghz, and SSIDNAME5 for the 5ghz network.  Both used the same passphrase (for convenience).  Symptoms were that I could not setup the printer.  All Roku devices connected fine on their respective wifi networks.

In walking through the problem I found that I could not ping wifi devices on the 2.4 network from the wired network.  However, I could ping the 5ghz network devices from the wired network.  So, I changed the SSID and the passphrase for the 5ghz network and was immediately able to ping the 2.4 ghz devices.  I then changed the SSID/passphrase on the Roku connecting to the 5ghz network and now all devices connect, all devices are pingable from the wired network.  

I think lessons learned are that you need to ensure your SSID's are not similar in name AND the passphrases are different.  I could have done some more testing between SSID and passphrase similarities but since everything is working I didn't want to spend more time.  If this works for you, try a bit more testing and report back.  I hope this helps your situation.   

Message 2 of 15
wa4ywm
Aspirant

Re: Can't see devices on the wired network from the wireless device (laptop) and vice-versa

I tried your suggestion by changing the SSID and passkey on one of the networks - it did not work.

Thanks for the suggestion but on to trying other things.

Message 3 of 15
antinode
Guru

> [...] The two sides do not see each other.

But all devices can see the outside world?  Do all the devices' IP
addresses make sense (all on the same subnet, ...)?

Message 4 of 15
wa4ywm
Aspirant

The IP addresses are 198.168.1.xx for all devices.

One thing I didn't mention in my original posting is that I can access the NAS server from the laptop as well as from the other 2 PCs. I can't access the laptop from either PC nor can I access the PCs from the laptop.

I have access to the internet from the laptop and the PCs.

Message 5 of 15
IT_Ronin911
Aspirant

Are all devices using DHCP or did you create static IP's?  When you say you can't access, I assume that means you timeout when pinging the devices?  Are there other devices on your network like entertainment devices or printers?  

Message 6 of 15
wa4ywm
Aspirant

I need to clarify some things and also answer your questions.

All devices use DHCP.

When I wrote the original message on the forum, I could not ping the PCs. After an update from Microsoft on the WIN 10 laptop I was able to ping the PCs. I don't know which update it was - maybe a coincidence? I can still ping the PCs. The PCs can also ping the laptop.

When I try to access either of the PCs, I get the following:

"... is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource." This is followed by some other text.

Note that I can access the network storage device from the laptop - I did not make this clear before. By access I mean that I have full access to the files on the device.

I do not have other devices on the wired network. The wireless network has an occasional connection by my smart phone or tablet.

Summary:

The laptop and PCs can ping each other.

The laptop and PCs cannot access each other.

The laptop can access the NAS.

The PCs are on the wired network and the laptop is on the wireless network.

Message 7 of 15
antinode
Guru

> When I try to access either of the PCs, I get the following:

Define "access".  What, exactly, are you trying to do?  Shared file
access?

> "... is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource."

That sounds (to me) like a Windows permission complaint, nothing to
do with basic network connectivity.

> The laptop and PCs can ping each other.

So, the network's ok (and the router is not the problem).

Do any of your Windows systems think that they're using a "Public"
network (where Windows file sharing might be unwise/prohibited)?  A Web
search for that (Windows) error message might find better instructions
on that topic than I (as an infrequent/reluctant Windows user) can
provide.

Message 8 of 15
IT_Ronin911
Aspirant

Hey there,

Based on the messages you are receiving, the fact that you can get to the internet from all devices, and the fact that you can ping all devices, it definitely sounds like just a Windows security issue and nothing to do with the router.  I'm assuming the NAS you have is a Buffalo or Drobo or something like that, and that you've set up unique userID's on the NAS to access the device/shares on the device. That would explain why you can access that device and not the Windows boxes.  Also, you haven't mentioned whether you've set up shares for access on the Windows boxes, or if you are trying to just get to the root drives of each computer without setting any security.   

Was everything working with your last router, or is this a new setup?  Just wondering before we totally rule out anything on your router.

Message 9 of 15
wa4ywm
Aspirant

By "access" I mean that I attempt to see what is on the PC. I can't even see the directories.

All networks are private.

Message 10 of 15
wa4ywm
Aspirant

I have set all the permissions for discovery and also share some directories. My 2 PCs (wired) communicate freely in this regard.

I connected the laptop via Ethernet (don't know why I didn't try this before) and the same problem exists.

This setup worked on my previous router when I must have had Vista on the laptop. I'm guessing that it is some sort of WIN 10 issue with the laptop. I have 7 on one PC and 10 on the other - no problems.

Message 11 of 15
antinode
Guru

> By "access" I mean that I attempt to see what is on the PC. I can't
> even see the directories.

"Exactly" seems to mean something different to me from what it means
to you.  Are you using Windows Explorer (or File Explorer, or whatever
it's called this week)?  Are you following the "Network" link on the
left side, or putting "\\other_computer" into the path box, or what?

> All networks are private.

All?  How are you determining this?

> I connected the laptop via Ethernet [...]

Doesn't Windows see this as a different network?

> [...] I'm guessing that it is some sort of WIN 10 issue with the
> laptop. [...]

Perhaps, but I still suspect a security/permissions problem.

Message 12 of 15
wa4ywm
Aspirant

Assume I am using a PC to access the laptop.I am using File Explorer and selecting "Network" in the left pane followed by clicking on LAPTOP. At that point an Open Folder window is displayed showing "\\LAPTOP is not accessible...". The situation is the same if I am attempting to access one of the PCs using the laptop.

Private Network:

Left click on the Window Pane at the bottom of the screen, click on the Settings icon, click Network and Internet, click Show available networks, click on the desired network (e.g. the Ethernet network), click on Network and Sharing Center. This shows the network is a private network.

The Ethernet network is a different network. However, all equipment is connected to the router. I can access the NAS from the laptop but not either of the PCs.

Message 13 of 15
IT_Ronin911
Aspirant

Hey,

When you say the ethernet network is different, do you mean it's a different subnet?

Is \\LAPTOP permissions set to allow sharing of the files to PC/YourUserName?  Same goes other way around.

Are the firewalls on for private/corporate networks on your workstations?

Does the NAS have a static IP and can you reach it from the PC's using the IP address?

Message 14 of 15
wa4ywm
Aspirant

I simply meant that there is a wireless network and an Ethernet network separately selectable. They are on the same sub-net.

Permissions are set for sharing on both the PCs and the laptop. I don't have anything set differently on the PCs than is set on the laptop (at least nothing I am aware of).

The firewalls on the PCs and laptop are turned off. I am using only the router firewall. That way, no possible conflicts on anything.

The NAS does not have a static IP. Just to double-check I pinged the NAS from all devices and pinged the laptop from the PCs and the PCs from the laptop.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements