Can't update OS and some programs won't get online

AnimatedFreak
Aspirant

Can't update OS and some programs won't get online

Hello

Our family discovered that an Internet port in our home was putting out Internet. So we decided to get a NetGear router to turn this into a wireless network. The process of setting everything up work well and we now have a Netgear network in our home. However we have a problem.

For some reason some programs don’t want to work with it. Skype was one, also running a server doesn’t work and updating the computer OS won’t work. The webbrowser however does work all be it only sometimes.

We are running Ubuntu (16.04). I have been reading some things online that makes me think that it could be the DNS. However I have no clue how to fix the problem. I tried the Netgreat support section on the website but it gave me no real solution. So I am turning to the community with hopes that you can help us.

The firmware of the router is V1.1.0.32_1.0.1

Model: JWNR2010|N300 Wireless Router
Message 1 of 19
TheEther
Guru

Re: Can't update OS and some programs won't get online

Curious, it seems like you weren't aware there was Internet in your house.  Do you know anything more about it, like where it's coming from and whether there is a modem or modem/router?

What DNS server is your Netgear router using?  Try using Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

Message 2 of 19
William10a
Master

Is there fiber running to your home or a home attached to yours ?

Can you update the os if you use a lan cable and connect the computer direct to wall jack by passing the router?

Message 3 of 19

Maybe the issue you are having comes from internet blocking program.

Can you elaborate how is your network built?

Message 4 of 19
William10a
Master

@AnimatedFreak wrote:

Hello

Our family discovered that an Internet port in our home was putting out Internet. So we decided to get a NetGear router to turn this into a wireless network. The process of setting everything up work well and we now have a Netgear network in our home. However we have a problem.

For some reason some programs don’t want to work with it. Skype was one, also running a server doesn’t work and updating the computer OS won’t work. The webbrowser however does work all be it only sometimes.

We are running Ubuntu (16.04). I have been reading some things online that makes me think that it could be the DNS. However I have no clue how to fix the problem. I tried the Netgreat support section on the website but it gave me no real solution. So I am turning to the community with hopes that you can help us.

The firmware of the router is V1.1.0.32_1.0.1

I have the feeling that they did not know the network jack had a Internet signal until they found it and it may be forgotten network from a past network or a internet service such as fiber isp.

Message 5 of 19
AnimatedFreak
Aspirant

@TheEther wrote:

Curious, it seems like you weren't aware there was Internet in your house.  Do you know anything more about it, like where it's coming from and whether there is a modem or modem/router?

What DNS server is your Netgear router using?  Try using Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

The DNS is 79.138.0.180 and 85.8.31.209. It's from alttele. We have contacted them but they say they are not providing internet to our address. However we still get internet from them. We live in Sweden. 

Message 6 of 19
AnimatedFreak
Aspirant

Yes, if I connect directly with a cable all programs, games and the OS works perfectly. But when I go via the netgear router it doesn't. So I figured something must be wrong with the router. 

Message 7 of 19
William10a
Master

Did you buy this house from someone else it may be their old service and require a modem to acess internet correctly with your router to be assigned a ip address.

Message 8 of 19
AnimatedFreak
Aspirant

@William10a wrote:

Did you buy this house from someone else it may be their old service and require a modem to acess internet correctly with your router to be assigned a ip address.

It's not a house it's an apartment. We switched to this apparetment after the previous renter died. 

Message 9 of 19
William10a
Master

Have you asked if anyone else if they have a jack like this in their apartment there may be a Internet service in the apartment building probably in the basement if it has one may be the building is wired.

Message 10 of 19
AnimatedFreak
Aspirant

in our last appartment we had the same situation (it was in the same complex) so when we moved over we tried it again and it worked. There are really just one provider, ComHem. However the DNS for this internet port leads to Alt-tele (at least that's what the netgear router says). However they claim not to provide internet for our appartments. 

Message 11 of 19
William10a
Master

@AnimatedFreak wrote:

in our last appartment we had the same situation (it was in the same complex) so when we moved over we tried it again and it worked. There are really just one provider, ComHem. However the DNS for this internet port leads to Alt-tele (at least that's what the netgear router says). However they claim not to provide internet for our appartments. 

Have you checked with other apartments around you and asked about internet ports?

Do you pay for internet in your rent or do have pay for it your self ?

There must be gateway and some kind of switch or router to all the apartments .

Have you tried the netgear in access point mode?

Message 12 of 19
AnimatedFreak
Aspirant

@William10a wrote:

@AnimatedFreak wrote:

Have you checked with other apartments around you and asked about internet ports?

Do you pay for internet in your rent or do have pay for it your self ?

There must be gateway and some kind of switch or router to all the apartments .

Have you tried the netgear in access point mode?

I haven't, we could. But considering that our last apartment also had it, it's probably safe to assume that we are not alone about it. 

That's whats weird, we don't pay for this internet. We used to pay for Internet from the provider ComeHem whitch uses a speciall plug in the wall. 

How do set the netgear to access point? 

Message 13 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@AnimatedFreak wrote:

How do set the netgear to access point? 

Before you try that - is the router's internet address a public address, or is it private (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, or 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x)?

If it's public you need a router.

Also, have you tried bypassing the router (using ethernet directly to the wall plug), and trying the services that fail?

Message 14 of 19
William10a
Master

More then likely a forgetten network in the apartment building the person who does repairs in the building may know something about connection.

Since you can get internet connection and every thing works ok with your programs and updates when you are directly connected  from the computer to wall jack via lan cable  do you know how to see what the ip address is at the jack when your computer is connected to it ?

If you can get the ipaddress please post it as it may help.

Message 15 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@William10a wrote:

If you can get the ipaddress please post it as it may help.

Generally I don't recommend posting them, as it does reveal some information about you.  Though we already do know the general location and the public DNS addresses.

It's enough to know if the address is private or public.  If you aren't sure, you could just post it, or you could PM me with the address and I can tell you.

Message 16 of 19
AnimatedFreak
Aspirant

I'm very sorry for not replying earlier, as personal things struck I was away for a while and I have been using a mifi device for wireless devices. But I still want to make this work. 

I can try to give a little bit more detail. So every program is inconsistant when connected to the Netgear router. Forexampel, Skype works after a long wait but discord doesn't want to connect at all and if it does voice doesn't work. The web-browser Palemoon doesn't want to connect to some websites while Chrome works fine. It's all inconsistant. But when connected directly to the wall and not bypassing the netgear router everything works great.

I don't want to post my IP but I may send it to @StephenBas he is a SuperUser on this forum I trust him a bit more (no offense to others it's just I don't want to post it publicly) I can say that when connected directly to my wall my IP was different from when it's connected via the router. However only the 3 last digits 

Message 17 of 19
William10a
Master

Yes it would be different as the ip address at the wall is a public address the address from the router is a private ip address translated by the nat fuction of the router so you will have two addresses one the world sees and it does not see unless you let it in.

As you stated before in one of your other postings the ips's are different between the two buildings coud they belong to the same sub company spectrum is using their own name now here but when the even owned bright house the used bright houses name.

If the address is in say the 10.10.:: range your more then likely connected to router some where in the building with in 330 feet or 100 meters.

Message 18 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@AnimatedFreak wrote:

I don't want to post my IP but I may send it to @StephenBas he is a SuperUser on this forum I trust him a bit more (no offense to others it's just I don't want to post it publicly) I can say that when connected directly to my wall my IP was different from when it's connected via the router. However only the 3 last digits 

Both addresses are public (and as @AnimatedFreak says, only the last field is different).  So they are both coming from the same provider.  When you request an IP address, the ethernet MAC address is sent as part of the request.  That lets the DHCP server keep track of the devices on the network.  The DHCP server is seeing a different mac address when you bypass the router, and is choosing to give you a different IP address.  

This isn't creating your problem - though if you want you can use "MAC address spoofing" in the router to prevent it - telling the router to use the PC's MAC address on it's internet connection.  There's no reason I can see to do that in your case, but there is no harm either.

As far as posting IP addresses - it's fine to post private IP addresses, but yours are public.  These forums are indexed by search engines (e.g. google)..  Tying public IP addresses to your user account could help people figure out who you are, where you live, etc.  In my opinion the risk isn't a huge one (since your public IP address can be gathered by any web site you visit).  But you are right to be careful on posting them, especially since the posts are persistant, include your user account name, and dated.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements