Highlighted
Aspirant

Cannot Connect EX3700 to Router After EX3700 Firmware Update

After upgrading the EX3700 firmware to the latest version, I could not connect to my Synology router to the extender. All of the setup steps worked properly until the actual connection step. I have tried several times, reset the extender to factory default, and connected via ethernet cable with the wireless shut off. The unit is out of warranty so Netgear is not willing to talk to me. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Model: EX3700|AC750 WiFi Range Extender Essentials Edition
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Cannot Connect EX3700 to Router After EX3700 Firmware Update

a bit more info is needed. 

I'm unsure by what you typed if you've shut off wireless on the router, the extender, or the laptop. 

What did you wire into the extender? A laptop? 

Where in the process is it failing?

Are you setting it up using wps or using the installation assistant?

What firmware is on the extender? 

CAX80-> RBK53-> GS716v2-> TP-Link M9Plus
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

@plemans 

Thanks for the quick response and offer to help. Information is embedded.

I'm unsure by what you typed if you've shut off wireless on the router, the extender, or the laptop.

[AB] I shut off the wireless service on the laptop to ensure I used the ethernet connection to the EX3700.

What did you wire into the extender? A laptop?

[AB] The ethernet cable is between the laptop and the extender.

Where in the process is it failing?

[AB] The step that fails is connecting the extender to the router after selecting the SSIDs of the router, the password, and giving the extender unique SSIDs. I can send a screen shot if that would help, though it will take a few days as I do not have access to the extender or my home network right now.

Are you setting it up using wps or using the installation assistant?

[AB] I am using the installation assistant and the manual option, not wps.

What firmware is on the extender?

[AB] The firmware I saw on the extender was V1.0.0.84_1.0.56. If resetting to factory defaults does not reset the firmware, this is the version on which I saw the failure. If it does restore the as-shipped firmware, I don't know the version, but am experiencing the problem on a version that previously worked.

Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Guru

Did it ever work? 

Have you checked with synology at all? some of their devices use a mesh function and maybe it needs to be disabled with extenders

Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

@plemans 

Thank you. I will check with Synology. I started with Netgear because the failure began immediately after the firmware update. There is a chance that their last update introduced a problem that was not visible until I tried to reconnect the extender. I'll see if I can capture the packets as it attempts to connect.

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

@plemans- Thanks for the suggestion. I got in touch with Synology. They are not aware of other reports of this issue. Please note that it started immediately after a Netgear firmware update.

Is there any way for me to drop back one version of firmware to see if the problem goes away?

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Guru

yes you can downgrade the firmware. You download it from the support site and then follow the "manual firmware update" process from the manual. and instead of using new firmware, you use the old firmware. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements