davidra
Aspirant

Cannot access DN4500P router

I have a four year old combo router/modem, model DN4500P, which does not appear on any Netgear site. I purchased it from Cox, my ISP. It has worked fine, and is stil working OK but apparently is having packet loss. I say apparently because I can no longer access the router. I have tried three browsers, I have cleared caches, rebooted the router multiple times, and it continues to work well in both bands, but I cannot access it via either my iMac or mobile devices. I do not have a laptop to connect directly to it. When I try using the website URL's routerlogin, either com or net, I get a page that says I am not connected to my router's wifi network. When I enter the 192 URL's directly, I get a sign in box; when I enter the defaults (I've never changed them), the box just reappears. I am using DHCP. The computer shows the router to be at 192.168.0.1. I am not an expert but I've never had a problem getting into the router. I also don't mind upgrading the combo unit, but I would like to figure out why I can't access it at this point.   Thanks for any help. 

Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

Re: Cannot access DN4500P router

> [...] model DN4500P, which does not appear on any Netgear site. [...]

Is it similar to a WNDR4500[vX] which does?  "DN" sounds like DSL,
but I thought that Cox was cable-TV.

> [...] apparently is having packet loss. I say apparently because I can
> no longer access the router. [...]

Too much interpretation, not enough facts.

> [...] When I try using the website URL's routerlogin, either com or
> net, I get a page that says I am not connected to my router's wifi
> network.

That's a DNS problem/quirk.  Welcome to what may be the worst error
message in the world.  For an explanation, try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1365830

Briefly, the idea is that "[www.]routerlogin.net" (or ".com") should
point to your own router, but that's true only if you use your own
router for DNS name resolution.  Regardless, you should be able to get
to the thing using its IP address, if you can determine (or guess) that.
Normally, that would be something like "192.168.1.1", but it could be
different.  (In your case, apparently, "192.168.0.1".)

> [...] When I enter the 192 URL's directly, I get a sign in box; when
> I enter the defaults (I've never changed them), the box just reappears.

Which "the defaults"?  Apparently, the modem+router does not agree.
I've seen reports of some ISP-specific Netgear devices which do not use
the standard "admin"/"password" defaults.  Ask the ISP?  Otherwise, the
usual remedy for a lost password is a settings reset (and manual
reconfiguration).

Message 2 of 4
davidra
Aspirant

1. This started because I have been using a Ring Pro doorbell, which worked fine for a year. In the last three months, while the video is acceptable, the audio has been broken and impossible to understand. The Ring support people have actually looked at my specific results and they say I am losing 15-20% of packets, which they say is much more than the 1-3% they usually see. They wanted to troubleshoot the router but because I couldn't access it, they couldn't. 

2. I have accessed this router multiple times over the years, using the default "admin" "password" combination. I am the only one who accesses it and I have never changed it. Period. It's not a lost password issue. 

3. I have tried multiple times (in fact, it's the way I have always accessed the router) using the specific IP address (both options) and it has always worked. Now it doesn't. 

4. More specifics: when I try and log into 192.168.0.1/Status_Router.asp I get a message that says: File not found. If I remove the Status_Router.asp and try with just the numbers I get the attached popup box. Note the :80 on the end, which I don't understand at all. When I enter the default admin/password, the box just reappears. 

Message 3 of 4
davidra
Aspirant

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 7.41.18 AM.png

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements