× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot access WNDR4500 USB Connected Storage from one computer in home network

solojourner12
Aspirant

Cannot access WNDR4500 USB Connected Storage from one computer in home network

I have a couple of external drives attached to WNDR4500 via USB. They are not NAS, just simple backup drives. I can access the drives using Windows 10 Explorer on my laptop by typing \\192.168.1.1 *OR* \\wndr4500-rs into the address bar. However, I cannot access these same external drives from a pc on the same network using the same version of Windows, the same Windows user ID, and the same network share settings. Also, I can access the storage drives through my web browser on the laptop by typing file://wndr4500-rs/usb_storage/, but I cannot do this using a web browser on the pc. On the pc, I've updated Windows, tried disabling firewall and virus protection, rebooted the pc and the router, and some other troubleshooting. Still no joy... Any ideas on why the drives are accessible by one network computer but not another? I have apps on the pc that need to be able to access those drives through Explorer, and not through ReadyShare or ReadyShare Cloud.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
solojourner12
Aspirant

Re: Cannot access WNDR4500 USB Connected Storage from one computer in home network

Nevermind... I found the solution on a discussion board for a different router. This solution worked to access both WNDR4500 and WNDR4000. And, yes, my pc recently had a full Windows 10 reinstall.

CONTROL PANEL => PROGRAMS AND FEATURES ==> TURN WINDOWS FEATURE ON OR OFF, scroll down to SMB 1.0, expand the selection and turn on CLIENT ONLY... Press OK.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
solojourner12
Aspirant

Re: Cannot access WNDR4500 USB Connected Storage from one computer in home network

PS - The laptop is connected to network via WiFi. The pc is unable to access the USB connected drives using either WiFi or ethernet connections.

Message 2 of 3
solojourner12
Aspirant

Nevermind... I found the solution on a discussion board for a different router. This solution worked to access both WNDR4500 and WNDR4000. And, yes, my pc recently had a full Windows 10 reinstall.

CONTROL PANEL => PROGRAMS AND FEATURES ==> TURN WINDOWS FEATURE ON OR OFF, scroll down to SMB 1.0, expand the selection and turn on CLIENT ONLY... Press OK.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7