× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect to WNDR4500 (AKA N900)

125SuperGuy
Aspirant

Cannot connect to WNDR4500 (AKA N900)

I have a Netgear WNDR (AKA N900) Wi-Fi router. I recently removed it from service as I am using my Comcast xFinity router CGM4140COM for Wi-Fi. However, I want to use the Netgear router as a repeater to extend the range of the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi to a distant part of my house. I connected the Netgear Internet port to the xFinity router via a Netgear switch in my wiring closet (I have OnQ wiring in my house). I could see the SSID advertised by the N900 on my phone. I logged in to the xFinity router and could see WNDR4500 as a device connected to the xFinity router. The IP address is 10.0.0.122. I was going to follow the instructions in the N900 manual to set it up as a repeater and tried to connect to it via my web browser (tried Chrome and IE) but they say they cannot connect. I tried pinging from a DOS command prompt and I get no reply. I can ping other devices connected to the xFinity router. What am I doing wrong? I tried resetting the N900 using the reset button but still no connection.

Thanks,

Don

Model: WNDR4500|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Cannot connect to WNDR4500 (AKA N900)

You'd want it in access point mode or you're in a double nat. 

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 8
125SuperGuy
Aspirant

The “Connected Devices” table on the xFinity router shows “WNDR4500” with an IP address of 10.0.0.122 but I cannot connect to it with a web browser (trying Chrome and IE) and ping times out. Curiously, the xFinity router says the MAC is 74:44:01:39:57:0B but on the case of the WNDR4500 it is shown as 74:44:01:39:57:0A (ending in "A" instead of "B")

I first used “arp -d 10.0.0.122” to delete the entry from the arp table then tried “arp -s 10.0.0.122 74-44-01-39-57-0a” to assign the MAC which the WNDR4500 thinks is correct but I get “The ARP entry addition failed: Access is denied.” even if I am running the command prompt as administrator. I also tried Powershell with the same result.

For fun I power-cycled the WNDR4500 to get it back in the arp cache but the reassign command still gives me access denied.

Any ideas?

Don

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

what IP address does the xfinity gateway have? 

Message 4 of 8
125SuperGuy
Aspirant

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

when you tried to factory reset the router, did you push and hold for up to 30 seconds while it was powered on? 

Message 6 of 8
125SuperGuy
Aspirant

Yes I pressed it for 40 seconds. I know the router is reset because the SSIDs for the Wi-Fi networks are the default names and the password has reverted to the default password. I connected to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi SSID with my Android phone and in the Wi-Fi settings on the phone I tapped on the gear and then "Manage router". I was asked if there was another router and I said yes. It then detected it and then asked if I wanted the Netgear router to be an Access Point and I said yes. Then I saw little circles going around and after about 10 seconds I saw a sad face so I guess it didn't work.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

have you tried hardwiring a pc/laptop into it for setup?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7