× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot enable LAN file sharing (NOT USB/ReadySHARE) between Windows 7 PCs

OliB
Aspirant

Cannot enable LAN file sharing (NOT USB/ReadySHARE) between Windows 7 PCs

I have two Windows 7 PCs connected to the LAN ports of a R6400v2. There is nothing in the USB port. The PCs are set up to view the LAN as a Work network, and shared folders are set up on each PC with full permissions for Everyone. Network discovery, file sharing, etc. are all enabled but the shared folders are not accessible in Windows Explorer on either PC, even though the full network maps in the Windows Network and Sharing Center show both PCs with their LAN IP and MAC addresses.

On the other hand, sharing works just fine if I replace the R6400v2 with an old DGL-4300, or with a simple unmanaged network switch, with unchanged settings on the two PCs. That seems to indicate that the problem is with the router, not the PCs. Router settings are factory default, firmware is updated to latest (V1.0.2.60_10.0.44).

Any idea what I'm missing? Thanks in advance for any clues.

Model: R6400v2|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router—802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
antinode
Guru

Re: Cannot enable LAN file sharing (NOT USB/ReadySHARE) between Windows 7 PCs

> [...] The PCs are set up to view the LAN as a Work network, [...]

Is that true even after you start swapping routers?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] The PCs are set up to view the LAN as a Work network, [...]

Is that true even after you start swapping routers?

Message 2 of 4
OliB
Aspirant

Yes, it is. Windows will usually assume a new network as public, in which case sharing is off, but I am checking that and am manually setting it back to Work if needed, with sharing enabled.

Message 3 of 4
OliB
Aspirant

antinode, your remark put me on the right track. Turns out my 3rd party firewall (Comodo) also maintains a concept of public vs private networks, and it had to be taught about the NETGEAR router as well, whereas it automatically accepted the unmanaged switch as a private network. Thanks for responding.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7