Highlighted
Novice

Cannot map/write to readyshare USB drive

All

Not sure if I am doing something incredibly stupid but hoping someone can help.

Running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, have a WNDR3700 and have just added a seagate 1.5tb expansion drive.

USB light is green, I can map from my mini mac and vaio laptop (vista) to play content, but I cant map through my main pc to add files to it whilst it is plugged into the 3700.

When I try and map it to \\readyshare\Sean_Media I receive a windows cannot access message.

When I click on the \readyshare link within the router settings I cannot access it either.

It doesnt appear in my windows 7 network settings either so pretty worthless if I have to keep unplugging it to add files to it before I can share it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

sean
Message 1 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Cannot map/write to readyshare USB drive

I think it will be something to do with Windows 7 security. Something like trusting all devices on the LAN not turned on. I can't help directly, but there was a similar question around here recently I thought. Do a search.
Message 2 of 14
Highlighted
Virtuoso

make sure network discover is "on" Win 7 ( should be at default)

also file sharing "on" on win7 can help
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 14
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks both, my windows sharing is on and network discovery is on.

I found a trust lan post but it was to do with Norton so not sure it applies to me.

I am so close but this thing cant be that difficult to fathom, any other ideas?
Message 4 of 14
Highlighted
Virtuoso

seanpears99 wrote:
Thanks both, my windows sharing is on and network discovery is on.

I found a trust lan post but it was to do with Norton so not sure it applies to me.

I am so close but this thing cant be that difficult to fathom, any other ideas?

any third party firewall is on all watch out.

Kaspersky, McAfee both should be double checked as well
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 14
Highlighted
Novice

I use AVG and the windows firewall is deactivated, still cannot access it, even if I try to use the ip address. still says windows cannot connect.
Message 6 of 14
Highlighted
Virtuoso

seanpears99 wrote:
I use AVG and the windows firewall is deactivated, still cannot access it, even if I try to use the ip address. still says windows cannot connect.

make AVG firewall is checked. AVG has internet security
http://www.avg.com/us-en/home-small-office-security

which means windows firewall is disabled and AVG is taken over
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 14
Highlighted
Novice

Hi

Appreciate the assistance, windows firewall is deactivated and AVG resident shield is on.

My windows firewall is off but it does state that all incoming connections are blocked however as the firewall is off surely this overrides it.

Cheers

Sean
Message 8 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

Does Windows 7 have a Security Center in the Control Panel, and if so, does it show any firewall is active? If you had other products previously, there could be some left over bits.

If not, trying turning the AVG resident shield off and see if the problem goes away. You may need to reboot the router, and possibly your PC to test the changed settings.
Message 9 of 14
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Resident Shield - ON-ACCESS scan

The Resident Shield protects the computer whenever the operating system is running. It works in the background and ensures transparent anti-virus file scanning when opening or executing files. There is also the option to scan when saving files. The Resident Shield runs automatically if a virus is detected, the Resident Shield blocks the opening or running of the infected file. The Resident shield stores information about files it has checked eliminating the need to recheck them if no modifications have been made.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

try going to \\192.168.1.1 which is the address of the router, if it works then its something to do with name translation, if it does not work then it gets more complicated to figure out. you could also try pinging \\readyshare to see if it works on a basic level.
Message 11 of 14
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks for all of your help guys...

turned out to be a noob in the end, when I set up my AVG firewall originally I only had my desktop pc and set it to standalone, when I reconfigured and set to networked it all opened up.

Thanks again, invaluable forum.

Sean
Message 12 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the same problem. The strange thing is that suddenly, all my PC's have the same problem if I use the actual address 192.168.1.1 then it works just fine. So I figured that it has something to do with the name translation. Did a router reset but that did not help. I have tried to change the device name, that did not help. I am puzzled why this is. I have resigned my self to using the address instead of the device name. One odd thing is that the device name shows up in my network places but when I open it, it's empty.
Message 13 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

Just figured it out. My problem was (not sure if this is something others need to do) but I am using another Netgear router as a repeater it uses the same name for readyshare.
Maybe I do not understand how the repeater should handle such conflict but I changed the readyshare name on this second router and now it's all well. I just do not understand why it worked just fine for months with both routers using the readyshare name. My assumption was that the router in repeater mode would simply be just a slave to the master router.
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements