Re: Cannot reach plugged-in USB drives and printer via wireless connection

cmelby
Novice

Cannot reach plugged-in USB drives and printer via wireless connection

I plugged a printer (LexMark 4270) and an external hard drive (Seagate 500 GB) into the USB ports on the WNDR4500 router.

Through the desktop computer wired to the router, both worked well.

Through a laptop wirelessly connected to the router, neither peripheral is reachable.

Seems like the advertising for WND4500 goes further than its capabilities.

Anyone else having this issue?
Message 1 of 6
Rhyalus
Apprentice

I don't have this problem at all.

Make sure that you don't have wireless isolation activated. It isn't Netgear's advertising...

R
Message 2 of 6
cmelby
Novice

Default installation, so I doubt wireless isolation is activated. Not sure what the rest of the reply means....but thanks for writing something back!
Message 3 of 6
Rhyalus
Apprentice

The rest of my reply was in response to what you wrote; "Seems like the advertising for WND4500 goes further than its capabilities."

Wasn't that obvious?

You should check the configuration for isolation, especially if you are connected via a guest network.

Printing may be different - there are a few threads here about getting that to work, but the hard drive should be there.

On the laptop, have you checked if the wireless network is set to connect to other devices (i.e., maybe you selected public network)? The readyshare will show up as a network share.

Good luck,
R
Message 4 of 6
Accen28
Novice

What is wireless isolation? Where do I go to correct the problem if that's it? I'm having problems getting my shared printer to work on wireless netbook. It works on desktop and laptop.
Message 5 of 6
teknomedic
Novice

another thing to check is what you have your "workgroup" as (both HDD and PC)... I didn't see my HDD until I made sure my workgroups all had the same name.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements