Highlighted
Aspirant

Cannot switch from WPA2-PSK authentication back to WPA-PSK or WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK mode

Greetings all.

I own a Netgear r6250 wireless router gateway.

Recently, we added an older netbook to our home network, which does not support WPA2-PSK (AES). I've been trying to switch the router's authentication method for the Wireless Network (2.4Ghz b/g/n) to WPA-PSK (TKIP) or WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES) ...

Every time I do so and make the change by clicking Apply, the UI automatically resets the radio button back to WPA2-PSK (AES) .. It appears impossible to change it.

I just updated the firmware today to the latest version. That did not help.

Any suggestions? I really do not want to have to reset the router back to factory defaults and redo the configuration.

Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cannot switch from WPA2-PSK authentication back to WPA-PSK or WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK

TKIP is being phased out like WEP is, it’s no longer supported by the WiFI alliance. In addition WEP and TKIP are throughput limited, if you lower the wireless throughput rate to 54Mbps or less (assuming that option exists) then you may find that TKIP becomes available.

WEP/TKIP phase out -
http://wifinetnews.com/archives/2010/06/say_goodbye_to_wep_and_tkip.html

And included here -
http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/network-director1.5/topics/concept/wireless-encryption-an...

Note: TKIP is not permitted for 802.11n-based transmissions. It is only supported for legacy (802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11a) transmissions, which are limited to a maximum of 54 Mbps.
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Cannot switch from WPA2-PSK authentication back to WPA-PSK or WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK

Understood, however even keeping speed at 54Mbps or less makes no difference - the UI auto switches back to WPA2-PSK

If there is another setting in this Router that must be disable or changed in order to enable WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK, that's what I need to determine.

Otherwise, we're looking at a bug in the the Router's Web UI interface.

Finally, regardless of the TKIP phaseout, Netgear built a product that supports both WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES), so how do it get it to function as advertised? Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Master

harmoniker wrote:
Understood, however even keeping speed at 54Mbps or less makes no difference - the UI auto switches back to WPA2-PSK

If there is another setting in this Router that must be disable or changed in order to enable WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK, that's what I need to determine.

Otherwise, we're looking at a bug in the the Router's Web UI interface.

Finally, regardless of the TKIP phaseout, Netgear built a product that supports both WPA-PSK (TKIP) and WPA2-PSK (AES), so how do it get it to function as advertised? Smiley Happy

You may want to consider purchasing a USB connected wifi adapter for your noptebook.
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

harmoniker wrote:

When you make that change, you most likely lose the connection from the computer to the router via WiFi, are you making the change using an Ethernet cable between the computer/router, and if not can you do so?
Highlighted
Aspirant

Babylon5 wrote:
When you make that change, you most likely lose the connection from the computer to the router via WiFi, are you making the change using an Ethernet cable between the computer/router, and if not can you do so?

Unfortunately, the same behavior (flipping the radio button back to WP2-PSK) happens on both wired and wireless connections. I went in through the Remote Management interface (on the wired LAN side) and the same behavior occurred.
Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

OK ... thanks all. I finally found a workaround.

Going in via the Remote Management interface (LAN/wired side), I reset security temporarily to "Open", and then was able to set it to combo WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK after doing so.

Please pass this along to Product Management / QA ... as this apparently is a bug in the admin web UI.
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OK, I will be reporting this at the weekend.
Guide

a similar bug happened to me, an old printer from 2004 i was using only supported wpa instead of wpa2. i changed my mind about wpa as its insecure, and connected printer using ethernet & powerline. however it wouldnt let me change it to wpa2 only. after the printer was disconnected from wifi it let me change it back, so i guess the router didnt want the printer to be disconnected.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements