× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot upgrade firmware R6300v2

philly40
Tutor

Cannot upgrade firmware R6300v2

Can not get this new firmwear to update. already tried to manually update and I get this error...Firmware is invalid and I know it's not. rebooted, downloaded another copy of firmware version 1.0.4.24 still same message, any sugestions? Before anybody asks ..R6300v2-V1.0.4.24_10.0.87.chk And I tried to put older versions on and that didnt work eather.

Model: R6300v2|AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
philly40
Tutor

Did Google search of there web site with the name of my model and the firmwear that was on it which was the CH ver. re flashed it with the same ver. they had for my model... that had my router starting up with there dd-wrt program did a firmwere upgradeon the  router with there program, then I had the new firmwere from Netgear on my computer uploaded through the dd-wrt program. Once it put the new fimwear on I unpluged the router for 5 min. pluged it back in waited anouther 5 push the reset... signed on this time and netgear router page came up with the latest firmwere from them on it...so there firmwere remove dd-wrt. 

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] Firmware is invalid and I know it's not. [...]

What's the current firmware version?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1540780

Message 2 of 13

I assume that you are not making the common mistake of assuming that you can upgrade the R6300v1 to R6300v2 with a firmweare update. That has happened before.

(The label will probably say R6300 if you have R6300v1.)

Different hardware. Different firmware.

What happens if you invite the router to find new firmware?

Message 3 of 13
philly40
Tutor

Firmware Version 
V1.0.3.6_1.0.63CH

Message 4 of 13
philly40
Tutor

It's R6300 V2 and the auto upgrade tells me no firmwere update avalible 

Message 5 of 13

@philly40 wrote:

Firmware Version 
V1.0.3.6_1.0.63CH

Unless you have a beta version of the firmware, that's not the R6300v2 or the R6300v1.0

R6300v2 | WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

R6300v1 | WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

Look here:

model number

Maybe the CH thing is region specific for somewhere else, or this is a custom made version for a particular internet service provider. In which case, contact them .

Message 6 of 13
philly40
Tutor

Okay on the bottom it says R6300V2 it was a charter communcations router, so whats the solution?

Message 7 of 13

@philly40 wrote:

...it was a charter communcations router, so whats the solution?

Talk to Charter Communications?

It supplied the thing and is responsible for supporting it.

Message 8 of 13
antinode
Guru

> V1.0.3.6_1.0.63CH

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1525464

Message 9 of 13
philly40
Tutor

Okay every one thanks I installed DD-WRT flashed it then use this program to force the newest firmwear on it. 

Message 10 of 13
antinode
Guru

> [...] I installed DD-WRT flashed it then use this program to force the
> newest firmwear on it.

Interesting.  That may be the first report of success in getting from
ISP-specific firmware to generic.

Message 11 of 13

@philly40 wrote:

Okay every one thanks I installed DD-WRT flashed it then use this program to force the newest firmwear on it. 

I am not familiar with third party firmware, but from various beta tests I do know that there are ways to change the identify of a router so that it will accept "alien" firmware.

It involves diving in with Telnet and changing the "board_model_id".

Then tftp to load the firmware.

Message 12 of 13
philly40
Tutor

Did Google search of there web site with the name of my model and the firmwear that was on it which was the CH ver. re flashed it with the same ver. they had for my model... that had my router starting up with there dd-wrt program did a firmwere upgradeon the  router with there program, then I had the new firmwere from Netgear on my computer uploaded through the dd-wrt program. Once it put the new fimwear on I unpluged the router for 5 min. pluged it back in waited anouther 5 push the reset... signed on this time and netgear router page came up with the latest firmwere from them on it...so there firmwere remove dd-wrt. 

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7