× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Change SSID on Netgear PR2000 (Trek N300)

MickEE
Aspirant

Change SSID on Netgear PR2000 (Trek N300)

This may be simple, but I just can't figure out how to do it. 😞 Could anyone please explain how to change the SSID on my Netgear PR2000 (i.e. Trek N300) Travel Router? When using it at home as a range extender, I would like to connect my phone using the same SSID as my main router. Otherwise, I have to set the phone to connect to the Netgear SSID when I'm in one room and then switch it to connect to my main router's SSID while in that room - and then back to the Netgear SSID again when I go back into the first room. It would be MUCH easier if the phone could connect to the same SSID no matter what room I am in. Thanks for any thoughts on how to change the Netgear PR2000's SSID. 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Change SSID on Netgear PR2000 (Trek N300)

Welcome to the community, @MickEE

Check this link on how to change the name of the your network.

Let us know if you need more clarifications.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @MickEE

Check this link on how to change the name of the your network.

Let us know if you need more clarifications.

Message 2 of 6
MickEE
Aspirant

Hi Elaine! Thank you for your very helpful reply as it definitely pointed me in the right direction. Ironically, I had JUST discovered a similar way to get there so I knew it was likely possible and you clarified that - so thanks! Seems to me, there are two reasons this was a problem at all:

1. The "guide" that comes with the Netgear PR2000 (Trek N300) is woefully inadequate b/c it shows how to get a "lite" version of the modem setting software (i.e. Netgear Genie) and new users will foreseeably conclude this "lite" version provides all the settings that are available. Since I am a new user and since the ability to change the SSID was not available in the "lite" version, I thought there was no way to change the SSID - or at least I couldn't find it. That forced me to pose questions to this forum that I otherwise wouldn't have bothered folks with, but in the back of my mind I just thought it would be illogical to prevent users from changing the SSID. But how? Couldn't figure that out from what was provided in the box; and

2. The "lite" version of the software never tells the user there is a much more sophisticated and robust version available, nor does it explain how to access it. Elaine, you explained a good way to get there - but equally important is that your explanation made it obvious that there was a "there" to get to. Almost simultaneous to reading your explanation, I had just tried connecting the router via ethernet and switching the router to "wired" (even though my desired use was completely wireless), and I entered the IP address of the router and BOOM! There was the full version of Netgear Genie - with all the settings one would expect. From there it it all made sense - it's just that it was a dark and sordid journey getting to "there" in the first place.

If any Netgear reps monitor these forum posts, could I please make a suggestion or two? First, even in the lite version of the software, just put some kind of notice (or a link) telling the user that there is a more robust version of the software with enhanced controls and settings. Knowing it even exists makes it worth looking for... Second, put something in that very shallow little "quick start guide" to alert the user that there is a more advanced way to change settings. Again, if users know it exists, they can find it if they want it - those users who only want the lite version would not be affected. Third, the "marketing" info on your website explaining why someone should buy this router is very nice, but it should be much easier and more "obvious" to a new customer that the support link has a FULL version of the User Manual on it. I never knew that thing existed - I thought the "quick start guide" was all there was. If I knew the full User Manual was there, I would have read that and probably could have solved this problem much more efficiently. So just put a note in the Quick Start Guide that alerts new users that the full User Manual is available. I didn't know it existed so I wasn't really "looking" for it and only stumbled upon it by accident. It's easy to say I was just a stupid user, but I'm being candid about my experience - I really didn't know there was a full User Manual so I wasn't even looking for one. Last thing, if I may:  What the heck is the difference b/t the "Cellular" and "Non-Cellular" version of the full User Guide? Again, I might be more ignorant than most, but I have no idea what that distinction is all about and I could find nothing on the site that explains it, and that creates needless doubt and confusion. Just explain it briefly so the average user can figure out whether they should use the "Cellular" version or the "Non-Cellular" version. At this point, I STILL don't know the difference and don't know which one I should use. But at least I discovered there is a full User Manual so I'll consider that a victory...

Thank you, sincerely, Elaine for your post! Sometimes posts are helpful in an indirect way, but your post was both directly helpful and also indirectly helpful b/c it reassured me that these settings ARE possible (if you know how to find them). Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You are welcome. I will definitely let the management know about your feedback.

Thank you for being a loyal NETGEAR customer.

Have a great day!

Message 4 of 6
MickEE
Aspirant

Hi Elaine! Thanks for your gracious response and for passing along the feedback so it can (hopefully) help. Elaine, I am trying to mark your initial response the "accepted solution" since it was VERY helpful, but I can't figure out how to do that. Sorry to be so lame, but could you advise on how to mark your response as the accepted solution? Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
MickEE
Aspirant

No need to reply, Elaine. When I posted my reply to you the "Accept As Solution" button suddenly showed up - it was not visible earlier. Once it became available, I was able to mark your reply as the accepted solution so there's no need to reply to my earlier post asking for guidance on that. Again, thanks for your help, Elaine! Very gratefully, Mick.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7