Highlighted
Aspirant

Channel 12-14

Is there any way to get the firmware on a US-purchased R6100 to enable Euro/Japanese WiFi channels 12-14 when taken overseas?
Message 1 of 23
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Channel 12-14

If the Region is grayed out then you can't.
Message 2 of 23
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Try loading a different version of firmware. Reason why you are unable to change langauge it is because firmware loaded on the router is only intended for specific region. I am not sure there are firmwares available in your region.

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/other/
Message 3 of 23
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Channel up to 13.

In the past there is many of thread of trying change firmware purchase at one region and try to flash with other firmware has become some issues.

You can try reflash firmware with in your case other NA firmware (North America ) with WWW (world wide) or other specified. Just not NA ones.

If you have difficult reflashing firmware you have want just pick up a new router at destination you are going.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 23
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

This has come several times and I cannot remember the name of thread. You have to use 3rd party tool to enter router flash memory or something close to it and change a flag setting. Firmware won't do it. All routers sold in states are set so they cannot be changed. The flag is the setting that has to be changed.
Message 5 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

If you could remember what it is, that would be great.
Message 6 of 23
Highlighted
Luminary

I don't have the original link, but I do have Squuiid's instructions. I presume these instructions will work for the R6100.

If you follow these instructions you do so at your own risk. No support provided. Consider yourself warned.

Download the Netgear Telnet Enable Utility here and follow the included instructions. Once you have enabled Telnet on your Router do the following:

The region changes should persist through reboots and hard resets.

Good luck.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 7 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hmm. I'm able to telnet into the router, but it takes me to an OpenWRT menu. Neither the routerinfo nor burnsku commands appear to function, though.
Message 8 of 23
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What OS are you using? I cannot get it to work using WIN 7
Message 9 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

Me? Win8. I did have to enable Telnet in Windows Components. I assume Win7 is the same.
Message 10 of 23
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I did that, It's the rest that doesn't work.

telnetEnable.exe 192.168.1.1 100D7F8C317C Gearguy Geardog
Message 11 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

[QUOTE=Devor;468314]I don't have the original link, but I do have Squuiid's instructions. I presume these instructions will work for the R6100.

If you follow these instructions you do so at your own risk. No support provided. Consider yourself warned.

Download the Netgear Telnet Enable Utility here and follow the included instructions. Once you have enabled Telnet on your Router do the following:

command did work for me. Haven't tested to see if the region change survives a 30-30-30 reset, though.
Message 12 of 23
Highlighted
Luminary

Interesting find, thanks for the inclusion. I don't have any reason to telnet into my router, so I was going by what someone else had found. In hindsight that makes sense. If it's all the same with you, I'll modify the instructions to include both commands based on the chipset.

Question; do you see any need to keep step 3 in the above instructions? Sure it's nice to see the information. but I believe it's unnecessary to complete the task at hand.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 13 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

I agree; the routerinfo command seems to be redundant, although it's possible that it doesn't seem to work on Atheros routers (at least the R6100), it could help ID a router as non-burnsku-able. But burnsku just plain not working would also clue a user in too. Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 23
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Has anyone used telnet on a WIN 7 pc?
Message 15 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

If you're still trying to sort out your issue, are you able to ping the router's address from the command prompt?
Message 16 of 23
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I never tried that. I'll give it a try. What are you suggesting?
Thanks
Message 17 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

Just suggesting that if you can't ping your router, the problem isn't getting telnet working right--it's something else. Although, if you got your MAC address from the router electronically (as opposed to reading it off the label on the outside), odds are that the connection is good and ping will work.

Another thought: are you using the wired MAC address, when you do the telnetEnable command, or the wireless one?
Message 18 of 23
Highlighted
Luminary

I have made some modifications to the instructions. I will post the instructions in a separate post. One thing that I wasn't sure about was steps 4 and 5. Do they work on the Atheros?

Please let me know what you think of the changes.
_____
Message 19 of 23
Highlighted
Aspirant

I did not try the reboot command, but the burnsku command is not understood by the OpenWRT in the R6100, at least not mine. The router didn't seem to actually need a reboot, though--I was able to navigate in with my browser without it, and the region seemed to be changed. Or it's possible it auto-rebooted. Dunno. Either way, I didn't need that command.
Message 20 of 23
Highlighted
Luminary

Originally provided by Squuiid, with additions by Huesmann. I have not personally tested these instructions. These instructions will not work on all router models. If you follow these instructions you do so at your own risk. Consider yourself warned.

First, determine if your router has a Atheros or Broadcom chipset. Next, download the Netgear Telnet Enable Utility here. With a wired connection to the router, follow the included instructions in the archive. Once you have enabled Telnet on your Router, do one of the following:

Atheros Instructions

The changed region should persist through reboots and hard resets.

Good luck.
_____
Message 21 of 23
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

huesmann wrote:
Just suggesting that if you can't ping your router, the problem isn't getting telnet working right--it's something else. Although, if you got your MAC address from the router electronically (as opposed to reading it off the label on the outside), odds are that the connection is good and ping will work.

Another thought: are you using the wired MAC address, when you do the telnetEnable command, or the wireless one?

Thanks I used lan mac from router status page and used lan port with direct connect after a factory default reboot.

The telnet enable, what should I expect when clicked? Nothing but a window opens and then closes within a split second.

Thanks
Message 22 of 23
Highlighted
Luminary

See step one. Smiley Happy
_____
Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements