× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Check/change UDB and TCP Port

Commoner
Aspirant

Check/change UDB and TCP Port

Hello,

I'm trying to connect my garage door opener to the Netgear wireless router. The garage door company said that I need to have the UDB port set to 80 and the TCP port set to 2165 in order for it to work. I've pulled up my router setting online but don't see where this information is located.  Also, if I change these settings will it affect connections I have to other devices (printer, other computers, etc)

Any help with this would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Not Tech-Savvy Enough

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Don't worry about port forwarding yet. You need to connect the garage door opener to the router's Wi-Fi network first.

Are you ever asked to enter the Wi-Fi password into the garage door opener? That would be necessary for the door opener to join. You do have a password configured for your Wi-Fi network, right? If not, then you should have one. Make sure to use WPA2 security.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 13

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What door closer do have? Make and model. Usally if UPNP is enabled in the router it should configure automaticaly

Message 2 of 13
Commoner
Aspirant

Lift master 8550W

Message 3 of 13
TheEther
Guru

Did you follow the instructions in the manual to connect the garage door opener to your router? If you did, then skip this first paragraph. You need a smartphone or tablet (I suspect a laptop will work, too), to connect to the garage door's Wi-Fi network. Then, open a browser and visit setup.myqdevice.com to complete the process to connect the garage door to your router's Wi-Fi network. During this part of the setup process, you should not need to make any UDP or TCP port changes on your router.

Once you have successfully connected your garage door to your router's Wi-Fi network, you will proceed to download the MyQ app onto your smartphone or tablet and create an account. Once you are done, you should be able to control your garage door with the app while you are at home.

The app may not initially work while away from home. You can test this by turning off Wi-Fi and using cellular data. Warning, cellular data charges may apply. Haha, I sound like a commercial. If the app doesn't work, then you may have to open up a couple of ports on the router to allow the app to access the garage door. According to this FAQ answer, you have to open TCP port 8883 and UDP port 2165. It also mentions UDP port 80, but the wording is unclear.

In order to open these ports, you need to log into your router and set up Port Forwarding. You didn't provide the model # of your router, so I cannot provide specific instructions. If you have the manual, you can read the section on Port Forwarding to set it up. You can find the manual online at http://support.netgear.com by entering your model #. Basically, you will need to create 3 port forwarding entries, one for TCP port 8883, one for UDP 2165 and, possibly, one for UDP port 80. All three rules should specify the IP address of your garage door opener.

Again, try the MyQ app while away from home before you set up Port Forwarding. If the app works, then you can skip the Port Forwarding setup. If the app doesn't work, then set up port forwarding for TCP port 8883 and UDP port 2165, first. Add UDP port 80, only if the app still doesn't work.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 13
Commoner
Aspirant

Hello,

I did follow the instructions in the manual for connecting to the garage door, and also with the garage door company over the phone, to no avail. I'm able to pull up the site on my mobile device where it looks for my router, but then it isn't able to connect to it. I have a dual band router and only one connection shows up in the list of available networks. Could that be an issue?

I'll try the suggestion you gave below for port forwarding and see how that goes. I'll keep you posted. Thank you for submitting the suggestion. 

Message 5 of 13
TheEther
Guru

You say you connected to the garage door, but it's not clear if that meant you connected to the garage door with your mobile device or if you connected the garage door to your router's Wi-Fi network?

The garage door only supports 2.4 GHz, so it would only see one of the available networks provided by the router.

Message 6 of 13
Commoner
Aspirant

I was able to connect the opener with my mobile device so I could continue to the next step which is to connect the opener to the router's WiFi network.  This is where it fails. The opener isn't able to connect to the router.   It sees the network, but doesn't connect.  I haven't had a chance to try the port forwarding yet, but plan to. 

That makes sense why the opener only sees one network.  Thanks. 

Message 7 of 13
TheEther
Guru

Don't worry about port forwarding yet. You need to connect the garage door opener to the router's Wi-Fi network first.

Are you ever asked to enter the Wi-Fi password into the garage door opener? That would be necessary for the door opener to join. You do have a password configured for your Wi-Fi network, right? If not, then you should have one. Make sure to use WPA2 security.
Message 8 of 13
Commoner
Aspirant

Yes, that's the last step I'm able to take. I enter my password, it tries to connect, but ultimately is unable to. I'm supposed to hear three long beeps after it connects to my WiFi network, but I never hear them. 

Message 9 of 13
TheEther
Guru

I found these instructions on liftmaster.com for connecting the garage door opener to a home network. It mentions that the door opener must run a complete cycle before Wi-Fi can be activated. It also says that you have 20 minutes to complete the process to connect to the home network before it times out. As a reminder, Wi-Fi passwords are case sensitive.

You can find more help at wifihelp.chamberlain.com. In particular, here are instructions to reset the Wi-Fi settings on the garage door opener. This may be helpful in case the password was entered incorrectly and you need to start over.

Message 10 of 13
Commoner
Aspirant

I found the issue!  Well actually, you did. It was in your second to last post, when you said to make sure we're using WPA2 security. We had it set on WEP. Once we made the switch, it worked like a charm!  I just hope it didn't interfere with any other devices we have using that same band. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough when something else stops working. As far as the opener is concerned though, this solved the issue. 

Thank you so much for your help!!

Message 11 of 13
TheEther
Guru

That's great that you got it working. Never use WEP. WEP is as bad as no security at all.

Message 12 of 13
Commoner
Aspirant

I'll remember that. Thanks, again!

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7