Highlighted
Follower

Chromebook -- Parental Controls Bypass in Parental Controls

I just purchased a R6300 in hopes that the parental controls would be more robust than the Linksys router that I purchased 7 months ago.  I am glad OpenDNS is supported by netgear, but the time limits controls are much weaker.  I would like to set time limit controls for each of my children's devices where ALL internet access is blocked from 10pm to 6am.  From what I can find, the only way to do this is by creating  time limit controls and bypass accounts for parents who wish to access the internet during these times.   I have 2 questions,

1.) I cannot find Netgear Genie for Chromebook, is it possible to have this device access the internet though a bypass account? My wife would like to play games on the Chromebook after the kids are in bed.

2.) Even by adjusting the content filter level for a time period, internet access through apps, etc may still be possible.  Can internet access be turned off for select time periods to certain devices? At least that's how my Linksys works....

If this access time control can not be addressed to my satisfaction, the router is being returned to the store for a refund......

Thanks,

Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Chromebook -- Parental Controls Bypass in Parental Controls

Hi @D_Bohling

Welcome to the community!

To answer your questions:

1.) Netgear Genie will not work yet with Chromebooks. Therefore, you will need to set the filtering per device manually on your computer or any device where you can install the Netgear Genie.

2.) It is possible to set the time period, however you need to do this manually on a specific time you wish because there is no way to schedule it automatically due to the Genie restrictions on Chromebook.

lpc.png

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

I've been looking for this feature too--my old Linksys had schedule (time) based internet access.  The Netgear marketing material would have one believe that this is a feature for Netgear but this appears to be based on scheduling services protocols and in anycase is challenging for the average consumer.  It is very disappointing that this feature doesn't appear to be available.  If it is, it is not easy or straight forward.

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @awertin,

Let us know how can we help you with your network setup. We will try our best to give you suggestions to resolve it. As of this writing, Parental Control is not yet available on Chromebooks. I encourange you to submit it in our ideas exchange board for consideration.

Regards,

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements