× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Chromecast and Airplay connection problems on the Netgear wndr 4500v2

PulseFog
Aspirant

Chromecast and Airplay connection problems on the Netgear wndr 4500v2

Hopefully someone is able to help me with two issues I am having based on Chromecast and Airplay. 

Chromecast problem:
Hardware: OS Android Lollipop 5.1.1 on a Sony Xperia Z2, Windows 10 on a Lenovo Laptop S440 and the Chromecast 1.

Chromecast has worked fine for a year with the same hardware. Since two months the Chromecast has become unstable. When I want to stream Netflix from my Android phone then the Chromecast icon is not available or the ico is available but disappears when I select the icon. Therefore I have to reset the router and then it is working properly. It keeps working properly until the next day. Then the same problem occurs. I have to reset the router every day when I want to use the Chromescast. I have installed the newest firmware again on the router but this hasnt solved the problem. The settings of the router are exact as described at the support pages from Chromecast and netgear. 

Airplay problem
Hardware: iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2, Marantz receiver SR 6006 including airplay, DHCP is on, latest firmware has been downloaded, exact version isnt mentioned.

When the Chromecast problem appeared the Airplay problem appeared as well. When I use Spotify (newest version 4.1.0.941) on the iPhone 4 the Airplay icon wont appear anymore. Before this the airplay icon has been available for several years and it has always worked without problems as well with my old router as with the current netgear 4500v2 router. For some reason Airplay isnt working anymore. The router settings arent changed.

Help or advise is welcome.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Chromecast and Airplay connection problems on the Netgear wndr 4500v2

The problem might be due to interference especially if both of you are on the same channel.

It is best recommended that you set different channel to avoid such problems.

Keep us updated and hopefully that fixes the problem.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @PulseFog

Just for isolation, have you tried playing Netflix from a computer and see if there's any disconnection will happen?

I suggest to use a wired connection first then go wireless after.

By the way, are there any devices that is experiencing disconnection from the router?

Is there any new devices that had been recently added like cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens or any devices that may cause interference?

Let us know the result once you have tested the suggestions given.

Message 2 of 5
PulseFog
Aspirant

Hi ElaineM,

Thanks for your response. I have tried to play Netflix from my laptop. First directly wired to the router. I had a stable internet connection but the Chromecast Icon was missing in Netflix as well as in the google chrome toolbar. Via Wifi the same result. My android phone on the other hand did have the icon. I managed to play something with it. When I stopped it, the icon dissapeared again. Very strange.

I have no devices that are having disconnection issues with the Netgear. Only a while ago sometimes an exclamation mark appeared next to the wifi icon on my phone. it said that something was not ok with the connection. But it never gave real perfomance issues. Internet was available. At the moment I am not having this exclamation mark anymore.

There are no new devices which have been added in my house. I can't speak for the neighbours however 😉

Message 3 of 5
PulseFog
Aspirant

Interested in the story of isolation it kept me thinking. I have had new neighbours and it appeared they are broadcasting 2.4 ghz on the exact same band as I am doing on 11. Could it be that simple? I have changed the band to the most quiet one number 1. And that seems to solve the problems! I am having an Airplay icon on my iPhone. This was missing for two months until today. The same goes for the chromecast icon in Netflix and in the google toolbar. It all seems to work. I will test it tomorrow again and if it still works than I owe you many thank!

Keep you posted.

gr,

PulseFog

Message 4 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The problem might be due to interference especially if both of you are on the same channel.

It is best recommended that you set different channel to avoid such problems.

Keep us updated and hopefully that fixes the problem.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7