Highlighted
Guide

Clarification on "open ports" please

I am using a D6300

I have spent the last couple of days trying to set up my CCTV DVR to be available for internet viewing. I have DYNDNS and have other internet-facing connections (router, QNAP etc.) working properly. What's got me stumped is that I am replacing and existing DVR and have copied the settings, at least I thought I had! I have been to the trusted port-forwarding sites and studied numerous YouTube videos but to no avail. Viewing internally using the web address with the web port annotated works reasonably well.

Anyway, what I don't get is that when I use the on-line tools to determine whether I have opened a port I invariably get a message stating that the designated ports that I have set up are not open. However, when I test a port to a remote camera on my LAN from the internet, the test sites also report that the port is closed but I can access the devise without trouble.

Sorry if this is long-winded, just wait until I look for help with the port forwarding,Smiley Very Happy but I just don't get it! How can a ort on the router be classified as "closed" when I can access the device.

thanks
Message 1 of 2
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: Clarification on "open ports" please

pdes wrote:
Viewing internally using the web address with the web port annotated works reasonably well.

How can a ort on the router be classified as "closed" when I can access the device.

Simple answer - viewing internally is not the same as viewing externally - until you have been able to access the device across the internet you have no idea if it's actually remotely accessible.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements