Highlighted
Aspirant

Company Intranet Pages or applications not working

When I VPN into my company network externally from other locations. I can connect, minimise Citrix Access Gateway, use company email, map network drives and use company intranet like I would in the office. When I work from home, I can do all of above with exception of accessing the company intranet. My work Network team re-installed the VPN software and no joy. At home still the same problems going through my NETGEAR WDNR3800 N600 router. I was wondering if there are perhaps some default WAN or other settings on the router that might be worth trying. Has anyone encountered this problem or have any advice?
Message 1 of 8
Mentor

Re: Company Intranet Pages or applications not working

If you can get the VPN connection from home, the router is probably correctly configured - as far as I know there is only one setting that impacts the VPN and that is something called "VPN pass through" - if it were incorrectly set (disabled), you would not get the connection from home. What sort of VPN does your company use ?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I was led to believe that the WDNR3800 does not support VPN passthrough and there is definitely no setting for it on the router. My company uses Citrix Access Gateway to secure a SSL VPN connection. Strangely the Network guys in work were not able to tell me if it was IPSec., PPTP or L2TP.
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Mentor

An SSL VPN is a type of VPN that uses SSL (secure sockets layer) - essentially a "browser based" VPN - it is a VPN in its own right and not one of the other three - perhaps your network guys do not know this or were not able to explain it. I did not consider the possibility of an SSL VPN (I use mostly IPsec) in my previous answer, so if the 3800 does not support VPN pass through that would explain why only the SSL aspect works

Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for reply. Are you saying that in order for this to work, I should consider replacing the router with one that supports VPN passthrough?
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Mentor

I think you may need to.

Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice. Any Netgear recommendations? Budget £150
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Last update. Couldn't solve this. Purchased a new router with vpn pass through in the end and now have full access to my company intranet. It worked out of the box...

If you encounter a similar issue in future. Two options. Either replace or perhaps first try DD_WRT firmware with OpenVPN build on your Netgear Wdnr3800 router (make sure you pick the exact build for your router or you will BRICK it).
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements