× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Complaint Terrible Warrentee and Customer Service

Noelcoward1
Tutor

Complaint Terrible Warrentee and Customer Service

I have a WNDR3400v3 that has a warrentee till Aug/2017  NETGEAR Warrentee Sucks,  to get a simple RMA for a device under warrentee you need to Spend $49.00 to troubleshoot  a $89.00 dollar Router that is Bravo Seirra

Heres the troubleshoot part,, Plug it in turn on power switch and it does not come on any more its DEAD plug same power into my other Netgear router

and wow it come on and works, so its not the power source, any questions?

I have been a telecomm engineer for 20+ years,

I'll just take the thing back to Walmart and get another , thanks NETGEAR, I think I'm Changing Brands now 

Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
Noelcoward1
Tutor

Update, I Switched everything out own to Ubiquiti, ubnt.com, not much support but it does not break, a better mouse trap and much faster speeds and a better price, Ya'll have fun. I am!

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 24

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. 
As a procedure, support will determine first if it's configuration or hardware issue. 
You can request an RMA by calling support and provide them the exact issue or send an email request by using my.netgear.com portal, under My Support then Contact Support. 

Message 2 of 24

Look at the HP support ou don't waste time on endless support stuffs.

Just a simple reciepe Linsten to the customer and take care of the hand who is feeding you!!!

Message 3 of 24
Noelcoward1
Tutor

Nothing different same thing 
the quote from the links you sent me too.

"You may purchase one of the Premium Phone Support options by calling 1-888-939-9092 (please have your credit card ready when calling). "

No!  All I want is an RMA number to send the defective device back, I'm not spening another dime, its under warrentee, and I dont need support I need to return it, Completly, This is about to go Viral all over the web on just how bad Netgear CS is and that they do not warrentee their products, I've done Technical assistance for 20 + years and this is not acceptable. and BTW please have the person who answeres the phone at your CS able to speak plain english!  

Message 4 of 24

They should be ashamed of themselves having such bad support!

Message 5 of 24
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Noelcoward1 I have escalated your concern to our customer care team. Someone will reach out to you. 

Message 6 of 24
schumaku
Guru

In fact, reqesting a "Replace my defective product" would be not difficult _if_ the Netgear customers would be able to find it easily. Starting from the main www.netgear.com ... locate "Support" ... be redirected over https://support.netgear.com/ to https://www.netgear.com/support/?cid=wmt_netgear_organic ... scroll down to "Need to Contact Support" ... click "Support Options" ... find the misleading...

Complimentary Support

NETGEAR provides complimentary technical support for NETGEAR products for 90 days from the original date of purchase.

...Contact Support ... bingo, here on the https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx we find it

Netgear Contact Support - Replace my defective product.PNG

...and after selecting the country (Unites States of America is available) ...

Netgear Contact Support - Replace my defective product - Serial number.PNG

...after filing, the user will be contacted by the Negear Support organisation to validate the issue, a replacement should not beto far away. The product does not even have to be registered to myNetgear.

=====

@ElaineM ... pleas carry this forward to @Netgear: It's a little bit strange there is no link to "Replace my defective product" along with the registered products on my.netgear.com ... at least for products where the hardware warrnty is still marked green...:

myNetgear Hardware Warranty - no Replace my defective unit.PNG

...and/or here...

myNetgear Product Warranty Information - no Replace my defective unit.PNG

Message 7 of 24
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You may submit a request and get a case number to replace the unit through My Support > Contact Support > Replace my defective product 

Message 8 of 24
lezliedawn
Guide

I have a Nighthawk AC1900 Smart Wifi Router, I have one lap top and one cell phone. After 8 months it stops working. I got on the phone with the number you are supposed to call and the support person would not give me an RMA. The internet light glows red (the same color as the power light) and I can no long connect to the internet though the router but it works fine when I connect directly to the modem.I kept asking for an RMA since it is under warrenty and she refused because she said that the light has to be amber to be deffective. And that she could fix it for $89.99. She said something needs to be updated but she has to do it. The unit was purchased 8-1-16. It is defective. It is under warrenty and the customer report refuses to honor the request. Just wants to take my money.

I also tried to download and install firmware. Can't do it.

I am really angry.

Help!

Message 9 of 24
lezliedawn
Guide

This does not work. The customer service people just try to charge you more money.

Message 10 of 24
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@lezliedawn What happens when you install the firmware? Make sure that you are downloading the correct firmware version for your specific model number of router. 

By the way, what's the exact model number of your NETGEAR router? 

How do you install the firmware? Are you following the same instructions from this link

Message 11 of 24
lezliedawn
Guide

Hi there,

Thanks for responding. I attempted to enter my model number when I sent the original post. But, like this time, your website continues to erase the model number after I enter it in the Model box. it is a Nighthawk AC1900 Smart Wifi Router Model R6900. I downloaded the firmware that I think was listed on your website as for the Model R6900 (there was not any direct link and a large, ambigious list. I just guessed). It would not unzip. When I double clicked the file it took me to a webpage with a message stating that the page was not there any more. And no matter what I tried I never found any "run" box or any "upload" command or any way for me to open much less install the software. There were no directions indicating that the file must be uploaded using the netgear genie.

I printed the directions you sent and will try this tomorrow night when I return home. However, if this firmware is necessary to keep the router up and running why doesn't it update automaticly? Or at least send me an e-mail telling me I need to upgrade?

Again how to I "make sure" that the firmware is correct for my Router. When I enter my model number in the website shouldn't it link me directly to the software I need?

I am sorry if I don't sound like I appriciate the help. I am still rattled by my "customer service" experience last night. I have only had this router for 8 months. I run a laptop, cell phone and wireless printer. I do not have a smart TV, any gaming equipement, I do not stream video or music. If this router just quit working, something is wrong. I should not need to pay $89 for support. Considering how I use the router there should never be any need for support. The equipement should be user friendly.

Best Regards,

Lezlie

Message 12 of 24
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The router has an auto firmware check feature. 

How do I update my NETGEAR router’s firmware using the Check button in the router’s web interface?

The firmware can be downloaded here. Make sure that you extract the file first and then upload it.

It will tell you if it successfully uploaded the file. 

Let us know any update once you have tried reinstalling the firmware. 

Message 13 of 24
blkbatmann
Initiate

This is some of the worst customer service ive ever delt with! OMG!! first i was on the phone for over an hour just waiting for a technician to even speak to me. I told them i need to replace my router cause its still under warranty. He wanted me to buy support, than he wanted me to go thru almost 45 mins of troubleshooting that was not working. and still wouldnt get to the point of doing a warranty replacement. SMH.....then after it was all said and done, he disconnected from me. Im most definitely going to report this. Unacceptable!!!! And still havent been able to find on the website where to do a warranty replacement. Just keep giving me an number to give the phone support people when i call. Like i already did in the begining. 

Message 14 of 24
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@blkbatmann I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

What is the concern you are having? You may send an RMA request to our customer care team at customer.service@netgear.com. Kindly provide them all the troubleshooting steps you have done in order for them to verify if it's for an RMA.

Message 15 of 24
Renemlweb
Initiate

Feel the same. Worst product service I have ever experienced. If your product does not work fix it. I ourxhansed mine in April 2017 and it is already not working. Like you heading to find another product as I can’t even simply get it replaced.
Message 16 of 24
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Renemlweb I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. 

Have you tried contacting support to get an RMA? 

Support should be able to determine right away if the unit is for replacement. 

You may do a hardware check through the article below.

RMA Hardware Check

How do I request a Return Material Authorization (RMA)?

Message 17 of 24
lezliedawn
Guide

I am responding to the question "did you try contacting customer support for an RMA". YES I did and that is what prompted me to write in and comment to begin with. After doing all I could to trouble shoot using the Netgear genie, I called customer service for an RMA because I was well within warrenty. I asked the person in "customer service" a minimum of 6 times for an RMA and each time was DENIED. My internet light had changed from white to red so I had no wireless connection. The customer service person repeated told me that she could fix it for me if I paid the $90 for a service contract. When I told her it was under warrenty and wanted an RMA again she said no. We were on the phone for at least 20 minutes. The customer service person did nothing but try to sell me a service contract and when she finally figured out that I was NOT going to give her any money she hung up on me.

That is NOT customer service and it ls NOT ethical.

Message 18 of 24
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@lezliedawn Kindly PM me your case number and I will make a follow up on your case. 

Message 19 of 24
lezliedawn
Guide

Hi Elaine,

I don't believe the person in customer service did anything except try to sell me the service contract. I doubt if I got a case number. But if I did, I don't have it any more. You are just now responding to a problem I had months ago. After my experiences with Netgear I went down to the place I bought the router and explained my situation to them. They told me to return it - which I did. 

Your set up directions and website is intentionally vague and hard to use. You whole systems seems intent on selling the poor, untechsavy, enduser with your $89 service contact. That is an unethical way to do business.

Lezlie

Message 20 of 24
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have responded to your query previously and have not heard back.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and rest assured that your feedback will be forwarded to the management.

Message 21 of 24
BillB4
Aspirant

THis product has a main & 2 satellites. It worked for a couple of months and stopped. Satellites will not sync and continue to flash white, which is not listed in any of their troubleshooting guides! Netgear seems to be more worried about charging for support vs giving it. This was an expensive router system that started out great. Several folks have given up and returned them. I am close. If NetGear is watching please call me Bill Burke 757-876-0673. If I do not hear from someone by the end of business on 12/8/17- its going to be returned to Costco and I will have to try something other than Netgear products. In this day and age I had hoped to do business with a company that was service oriented

@Noelcoward1 wrote:

I have a WNDR3400v3 that has a warrentee till Aug/2017  NETGEAR Warrentee Sucks,  to get a simple RMA for a device under warrentee you need to Spend $49.00 to troubleshoot  a $89.00 dollar Router that is Bravo Seirra

Heres the troubleshoot part,, Plug it in turn on power switch and it does not come on any more its DEAD plug same power into my other Netgear router

and wow it come on and works, so its not the power source, any questions?

I have been a telecomm engineer for 20+ years,

I'll just take the thing back to Walmart and get another , thanks NETGEAR, I think I'm Changing Brands now 

Message 22 of 24
Noelcoward1
Tutor

Update, I Switched everything out own to Ubiquiti, ubnt.com, not much support but it does not break, a better mouse trap and much faster speeds and a better price, Ya'll have fun. I am!

Message 23 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@BillB4 wrote:

THis product has a main & 2 satellites. It worked for a couple of months and stopped. Satellites will not sync and continue to flash white, which is not listed in any of their troubleshooting guides! Netgear seems to be more worried about charging for support vs giving it. 

Whatever product - best guess you talk of Orbi or Orbi Pro Can't find a related entry in the Home Networking - Orbi WiFi System or the Business Solutions - Orbi Pro WiFi for Small Business. Most previous posts talk of requsting an RMA to get a replacement unit - fixing pretty much obvious failed units. Your case is definitively different. Prolly the second WiFi used for the bckbone failed somehow.

The flashing white does indicate firmware update or config load on either device. For some reason, this does not work. Does power-up the Satellites immediately lead to this, or is there a flashing magenta LED first, and/or a solid magenta/blue/amber before it's changing to flashing white?

Does reset (using a paper clip pushed into the reset hole) make a Satellite power LED blink amber?

Tried to reset (same procedure) the Router, and set-up the Orbi system from scratch? 

As Netgear does offer the Netgear Community as kind of a support channel, open a new thread (with a little bit more information) in the community this would be the better place to start.

@BillB4 wrote:

If NetGear is watching please call me Bill Burke 757-876-0673. If I do not hear from someone by the end of business on 12/8/17...

Well, unlikely. You better had posted the support ticket number so the Netgear Community people (like Elaine) can follow-up.

Regards,

-Kurt

PS. No, I'm just yet another Netgear customer and community member.

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 39 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7