× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting a N300 WNR2000 v5 router to Starlink ethernet adapter

NETO84
Aspirant

Connecting a N300 WNR2000 v5 router to Starlink ethernet adapter

I connected my older N300 WNR2000 v5 router to a Starlink ethernet adapter.  I was successful in getting internet using the Netgear Genie interface; however, I do not get near the internet speed compared to just using wifi with my Starlink modem or connecting the ethernet cable directly from the Starlink adapter to my computer (>100Mbps vs 20Mbps).  Ultimately, I would like to use my router to add additional ethernet ports to the one port that the Starlink adapter provides but I do not want to sacrifice the significant drop in speed. Can anyone provide advice on possible settings that I can tweak on the router so that my router does experience such a drop in speed?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
wcalifas
Prodigy

as it was stated by the previous post the wnr2000 will not come close to giving you top speeds, that is an old router. I think its time to upgrade to something more newer and powerful.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. the startlink router is much more capable than the wnr2000. the WNR2000 doesn't even have gigabit ports. Only 10/100mbps ports.

2. the wnr2000 is a n300 device. 20 mbps over wireless might be around where you sit for speed over 2.4ghz because its a slow network and sensitive to interference. I think the max I ever got out of it was 40mbps when I had one. but if you're in an area with crowded wifi, 2.4ghz is going to be next to useless. 

3. the starlink router has its own router capabilities. Connecting another router to it causes a double nat unless setup right. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 2 of 4
wcalifas
Prodigy

as it was stated by the previous post the wnr2000 will not come close to giving you top speeds, that is an old router. I think its time to upgrade to something more newer and powerful.

Message 3 of 4
NETO84
Aspirant

Thank you.  I appreciate your advice.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements