Highlighted
Aspirant

Connecting to PPPoE at router startup

Hi,

I have a WNDR3700v4 router for my home network. Recently I changed my ISP and received from them a Netgear VEGN2610 (a DSL modem/router, seems to be customized for the ISP - http://www.netgear.com/service-providers/products/telco/gateways/vegn2610.aspx )

I wanted to keep using my own router, so I set the VEGN2610 to bridged mode, and do the PPPoE login from the WNDR3700, setting the connection mode to "Always connected".

Everything works fine, except for one thing. I tried restarting the routers, to see that everything connects without problems, and noticed that I didn't have internet. It turns out that I have to manually go into the WNDR3700 and click on Connect, and then it would connect to the ISP.

Is this how it's supposed to work? Is there any way to have it connect automatically?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Connecting to PPPoE at router startup

I’m not a DSL user myself, and no longer have a WNDR3700, but I have a vague recollection that there’s an ‘Idle Timeout’ which if set to zero automatically reconnects?
Highlighted
Aspirant

Indeed, there is such an option, but it's only enabled when using "Dial on Demand" connection mode. I set "Always On", which should keep it always connected from the very beginning.

This is what the help says:

Connection Mode

Set the Connection Mode to Dial on Demand, Always On, or Manually Connect.
With the default setting, Dial on Demand, a PPPoE/PPTP/L2TP connection automatically starts when there is outbound traffic to the Internet, and it automatically terminates if the connection is idle based on the value in the Idle Timeout setting.When the Connection Mode is set to Always On, the PPPoE/PPTP/L2TP connection automatically starts when the computer boots up, but the connection does not time out. The router will keep trying to bring up the connection if it is disconnected for some reason.If you select Manually Connect, you must go to the Router Status screen and click the Connect button in order to connect to the Internet. The manual connection does not time out and you have to click the Disconnect button on the Router Status screen to disconnect it.

Idle Timeout

An idle Internet connection will be terminated after this time period.

If this value is zero (0), then the connection will be kept alive,the connection will be reestablished immediately whenever it is lost.
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the info, and sorry I can’t help. Have you contacted your ISP about this, I suspect the router firmware is provided to the ISP by Netgear and is likely customised?
Highlighted
Aspirant

I already talked to the ISP. The NetGear DSL modem is customized, although the interface is very similar to my WNDR3700.

I asked them to help me set up their router as modem only, and was told to put it in bridge mode, and do the login from my own router, which is what I'm doing now.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements