× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting to Windstream fiber internet with PPPoE

sailorgirl
Aspirant

Connecting to Windstream fiber internet with PPPoE

Tried several times to connect to Windstream fiber network without success.  Windstream says I don't need a modem to connect.  They use PPPoE protocol with their system.  I have asked 3 times for the username and password to access the internet, but have been given 3 different answers.  None worked when the netgear app requested the information.  I am not sure what I should be expecting when I call windstream so I can clarify what I am asking for.  They are less then helpful when trying to install your own modem instead of their rental model.  Does anyone know the number of digits I should be given for the username and password so I at least know if I am getting the right information.  Am I missing an update for this problem?  Or does netgear orbi AC2000 just not work with windstream?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
sailorgirl
Aspirant

Finally resolved the issue.  For those with Windstream ISP high speed fiber coming into their home, the ORBI RBK20 will work.  No modem is required.  Attach the ethernet cable coming out of the wall to the internet port of the router.  Then proceed through the orbi app commands.  When the app tries to connect to the internet it fails.  Go to advance settings and chose PPPOE as the protocol.  This will prompt you for a username and password.  This information was provided to me after multiple calls to Windstream's technical service.  The user name needed is the email address provided by Windstream to you at installation.  In my case, I never got it.  It will typically be in the format of xxxxxnn@windstream.net.  The windstream people can tell you your assigned email and the password associated with that email address.  Inputting that into the orbi app resulted in the router linking to the windstream internet signal.  My wifi speed doubled instantly to the speed I had hoped to receive from Windstream, but never got through their rental router.  I hope this helps those Windstream customers out there trying to install a better router.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
sailorgirl
Aspirant

Finally resolved the issue.  For those with Windstream ISP high speed fiber coming into their home, the ORBI RBK20 will work.  No modem is required.  Attach the ethernet cable coming out of the wall to the internet port of the router.  Then proceed through the orbi app commands.  When the app tries to connect to the internet it fails.  Go to advance settings and chose PPPOE as the protocol.  This will prompt you for a username and password.  This information was provided to me after multiple calls to Windstream's technical service.  The user name needed is the email address provided by Windstream to you at installation.  In my case, I never got it.  It will typically be in the format of xxxxxnn@windstream.net.  The windstream people can tell you your assigned email and the password associated with that email address.  Inputting that into the orbi app resulted in the router linking to the windstream internet signal.  My wifi speed doubled instantly to the speed I had hoped to receive from Windstream, but never got through their rental router.  I hope this helps those Windstream customers out there trying to install a better router.  

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7