Aspirant

Connecting two internal networks

Hi All,

I'm having some trouble trying to figure out how to set my network up properly and would appreciate some direction.

Here's my current setup:

I have a WNDR4000 that is downstairs and a Mac Pro with two ethernet ports that is upstairs. The Mac Pro is connected to a cable modem on ethernet #1 and is setup to share it's Internet connection. I'm connected to the Internet port of the WNDR4000 from ethernet #2. The WNDR4000 has assigned 192.168.2.1 as the IP for my Mac Pro on the Internet port and is assigning the rest of the attached and WIFI devices IPs in the range of 172.16.0.*

All of my devices are able to get on the Internet with no problem, however, there is no communication between the Mac Pro and the rest of my network beyond that. My Apple TV can't see the shared iTunes library on my Mac Pro and the Mac Pro can't browse any of the other computers.

Obviously this is because they are on different networks. How do I "bridge" the two together so that they can see each other? Static routing? Sone kind of NAT setup on the router or my Mac? I'm a bit confused.

Thank you for your help.

Mark
Message 1 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Connecting two internal networks

TRY this Modem.... to WAN port WNDR4000 ..... WNDR4000 ....lan port ...to mac pro... I would think should work. I would reset all to factory defaults first. It should all work fine. If I am wrong just wait a few minutes and a senior fanatic should be able to help.
Message 2 of 14
Virtuoso

I have a WNDR4000 that is downstairs and a Mac Pro with two ethernet ports that is upstairs. The Mac Pro is connected to a cable modem on ethernet #1 and is setup to share it's Internet connection. I'm connected to the Internet port of the WNDR4000 from ethernet #2. The WNDR4000 has assigned 192.168.2.1 as the IP for my Mac Pro on the Internet port and is assigning the rest of the attached and WIFI devices IPs in the range of 172.16.0.*

I would setup the 2nd unit as an access point instead of that.
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 14
Aspirant

searay wrote:
TRY this
Modem.... to WAN port WNDR4000 ..... WNDR4000 ....lan port ...to mac pro... I would think should work.

I would reset all to factory defaults first. It should all work fine. If I am wrong just wait a few minutes and a senior fanatic should be able to help.

Thanks. Yes I know it will all work if I have everything on the same network. I have reasons for wanting to have the Modem connected to my Mac and sharing my Internet connection (speed for one). I guess I could just connect to one of the LAN ports from my Mac and set the other devices to connect to it as their gateway. I'm not quite sure how do that either.

I would like to know how to get it to work the way it's set up now if possible.
Message 4 of 14
Virtuoso

you will not gain any by using internet sharing over using single router to share all device including your Mac PRO. it will be your choice.

using 2nd nic on Mac Pro is fine but if you want see Mac Pro from the wnd3400, you need setup as an access point. do not use WAN of 3400 that is hooked up to 2nd NIC of Mac PRO
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Would connecting the lan port of the 4000 to the mac pro's 2nd lan port and then use AUTO IP work?
Message 6 of 14
Aspirant

Thanks guys. I'll try some of your ideas tonight.
Message 7 of 14
Aspirant

OK,

I finally got it working after bypassing the internet port on the router and messing around with Internet Sharing on my Mac Pro. It took me a while to figure out that I needed the router setting on Ethernet 2 to point to the IP of Ethernet 1.

Anyway, everything works fine and my Apple TV can now see my Mac Pro. All of my devices are in the 192.168.2.X range. The only issue now is that the WNDR4000 has given itself an IP of 172.16.0.1. I can't log into the router from the other network. I can of course temporarily manually tweak the settings on one of my laptops and get into the router, but I would like to be able to do that from the 192.168.2.x network.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark
Message 8 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The 4000 has an AUTO IP fuction which

When enable Auto_IP, LAN_IP will get from DHCP server in LAN network. (like DHCP mode for WAN)

Try this

Message 9 of 14
Virtuoso

did you check our LAN setup ? while DHCP on WNDR400 should be disabled but make sure IP of the router has 192.168.2.x IP
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 14
Aspirant

When I disable DHCP on the router and try to give it an IP address in the 192.168.0.x range, it says "The IP address conflicts with the WAN subnet. Please enter a different IP address"

Mark
Message 11 of 14
Virtuoso

change WAN IP to 10.x.x. .

since you were using internet port initially it is still keep 192. settings.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 14
Aspirant

Great! Thanks June for all of your help.

Mark
Message 13 of 14
Virtuoso

Your welcome. enjoy it.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 14 of 14