Connectivity/Video Issues

Erikup15
Aspirant

Connectivity/Video Issues

I'm not 100% sure if this is the best place to post this, but googling hasn't turned up any answers for me and while usually, I find these kinds of forums intimidating (not the most tech minded person), I need to solve this issue.

We have the WNDR3700v2 connected to ATT DSL modem (two Apple laptops and a wireless printer, nothing wired to the modem or router) We've had it up and running since October. Since then, our connection speed has become slow or sporadic. The biggest issue we are facing is videos---they won't upload/play without timing out every few seconds and showing the "buffering" symbol. It's becoming increasingly frustrating considering we bought it so that we would have faster browsing speeds--especially when we are playing videos.

I have upgraded to the latest firmware as well.
I would greatly appreciate any advice you have.
Message 1 of 16
Tank_Killer
Tutor

Re: Connectivity/Video Issues

Have you tried a factory reset and fully reconfig from scratch? That is a must after a firmware upgrade.
Message 2 of 16
Simon0
Novice

you do not mention what speeds are you getting w/ a speedtest on your dsl connection.

anyhow, video streaming sites, other than the well funded youtube, and a few pay$$ sites, are having trouble "serving" their consumers. even on a fios connection, you may still have buffering issues on some foreign sites. larger sites can load balance and route you to less busy/closer servers. Some sites will auto reduce fps and serve a lower quality version when latency increses.
Message 3 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

On top of the make sure ATT unit is in bridge mode. Most common all the ATT supplied device is modem/gateway. You can call ATT support for bridge mode setup. This will insure that broadband and router is setup right. I seen most people will end up adding after getting ATT and thinking it is right setup and not in more than 90% at a time.

If you are not techie, you may need local tech assistance.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 16
Erikup15
Aspirant

I haven't tried a full factory reset since the firmware upgrade--I assumed it did what it needed to do when it was adjusting the settings during that process. I will try that.

Our modem is in bridge mode already--that was the only way it ever would work with a wireless router. I do not know how to do the dsl speed test--I will gladly post them if someone could give instruction Smiley Happy

One of the main sites that we do have problems with is YouTube, that's why I decided that we were having an issue with "us" and not "them". The other issue (and perhaps it's an error in how I set it up) but the 5G option with out router shows up in the list of wireless networks available but rarely attains full signal like the non-5G network (the one we end up using most of the time as a result of this).

Thanks for the help so far!
Message 5 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

did you test with PC wired the router with youtube issues?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 16

Erikup15 wrote:
Our modem is in bridge mode already--that was the only way it ever would work with a wireless router. I do not know how to do the dsl speed test--I will gladly post them if someone could give instruction
Try this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=broadband+speed+test
Message 7 of 16
Erikup15
Aspirant

I did the dsl test and got the following results (done at bandwithplace.com)
Download Speed: 462 kbps
Upload Speed: 215 kbps

Seems way too slow to me.
Message 8 of 16
quagmire
Tutor

bandwidthplace.com is not that accurate.

I'd suggest downloading shaperprobe from http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe/shaperprobe.html
Message 9 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

speedtest.net is quite good testing using online base
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 16
Erikup15
Aspirant

Okay....tried again as recommended :-)
Download Speed: 1.59 Mbps
Upload Speed: .43 Mbps
Message 11 of 16
Erikup15
Aspirant

Is it possible that my problem is more to do with a old/cruddy dsl modem (provided by ATT at the time we got DSL five years ago)?
Message 12 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

did you test the speed directly with the ATT dsl modem and pc?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 13 of 16
Erikup15
Aspirant

I did--the speeds came back even lower (both below 1mbps). I contacted ATT and they said that it "appears" there might be something wrong with my DSL line. I'm waiting for Advanced Tech Support to run tests and call me about it.

However--because I'm impatient, I dug out our old Netgear router (WGT624) and plugged it in. ZERO problems streaming a video from YouTube. I ran a speedtest on it and got download speeds of 2.49mbps and .42 upload speeds.

So, now I'm not sure what the issue is. I suppose it could be a faulty DSL line or it could be my router causing the issue. I just can't imagine how a newer router would in fact be worse at handling streaming videos.

With all the confusion, I'm hesitant about what to do next.
Message 14 of 16
Erikup15
Aspirant

I did check it wired directly to the modem--slower speeds (both under 1mbps). I contacted ATT and after all is said and done, they think there "appears" to be an issue with my dsl line. I'm waiting on the Advanced Tech Support People to call back with their test results and perhaps schedule a service visit.

However, in the meantime, I hooked up our old Netgear Router (WGT624) and it had ZERO issues playing a YouTube video. And, in a speedtest it got speeds of for 2.44 mbps DL and for .44 UL.

So, now I'm unsure what the real issue is...is the DSL line bad? Is it my router? No clue. I'm not sure why an older router would stream videos significantly better than a newer one.

Any experiences with this?
Message 15 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

possible router issues if WGT works better.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation