jason9264
Aspirant

Constant ping spikes on wireless connection

Hello everyone, I had purchased a router (AC750 Model: R6020) but I have been experiencing latency issues, specifically ping. Every couple of seconds I will have ping spikes from which will bump it all the way to 300 and then come back down to 40. This makes it virtually impossible to play games with the connection. It was fine when I had my computer connected via ethernet but I moved my computer just recently and I don't have a ethernet cable long enough. The computer I am using is a Dell desktop running windows 10. I have tried so many things and I have no clue what to do anymore. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 13

Re: Constant ping spikes on wireless connection

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

As this is a wifi issue, have you considered Powerline Ethernet? I find it better for wired devices that don't move around.

Powerline Networking | Powerline Ethernet | NETGEAR

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 13
jason9264
Aspirant

I have not considered a powerline ethernet (didnt even know it existed lol) but if all else fails I will try that.

Firmware Version V1.0.0.38
Message 3 of 13
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

Check for WiFi interference. I use an app called inSSIDer. The free version is at the bottom of the page.

https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/free/

You can also randomly change WiFi channels but this is trial and error troubleshooting.

Message 4 of 13

You have the latest firmware. Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Powerline is often overlooked. Yet more expense. But for fixed kit that needs a reliable connection, it is a good option.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 13
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

I missed something on the first reply, sorry. Several thing are common so I offer my thoughts.

If the suggestions fail go back and confirm that Ethernet remains OK. If OK disregard this reply.

I had a problem in the fall with another router. I also had similar behavior from an R6020. The problem was incompatibility between my router and Dell PC with Realtek Ethernet controller. I didn't solve the problem. It could be OS, firmware or whatever.

Link:https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/Slow-Ethernet-with-WNR3500Lv2/m-p/1673955#...

FWIW, the R6020 has required several recent re-boots. I am replacing it as of today.

Message 6 of 13
jason9264
Aspirant

Ok so I did that, It looks like there are a lot of networks around me (shucks) heres a picture of the screen im not really sure which channels more open since it looks so crowded (Ethernet still good)Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 13
jason9264
Aspirant

Ok so I also tried factory resetting it but that did not solve any problems. I backed up my settings now (wasn't too much trouble) but it sucks that it doesnt solve anything.

Message 8 of 13

It doesn't always work, but is an obvious first move.

Did you try it before you restored the settings? Restoring can resurrect problems.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 13
jason9264
Aspirant

Yes, I tested it and pinged my router (It seemed like the problems actually got worse) and then I restored it. It's back to how it was now. 

Message 10 of 13
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

You don't say which signal is yours so this is a guess. 

There are several channels open. Overlap doesn't seem to matter where occupying the same channel does.

I would go with 2 then 3 if needed.

Message 11 of 13
jason9264
Aspirant

I changed it, it lowered the overall pings (I went from 40 to 30) but my ping spikes remained, Thanks for the help though!

Message 12 of 13
TaterSalid
Virtuoso

I would look to use wire. That will eliminate the problem permanently.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements