Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6220 and D7000v2 dropping issues

Dustybug
Aspirant

D6220 and D7000v2 dropping issues

I bought a D6220 to replace my ISP provided router and it's limited functionality.

Recently, my D6220 started dropping it's WiFi connection every few days and required to be switched off and on again to get it back up and running. I also noticed it was very hot, figured it was on its way out and invested in a D7000v2 as a replacement.

The D7000v2 however is doing exactly the same thing! I figured the chances of those two routers having an identical fault were small and reasoned that the problem was within my house, possibly with a faulty device.

I was due to go on holiday (and am currently on holiday) so decided to put my ISP router back in place meantime and connect only "essential" devices - i.e. smart plugs, smart lights, Blink security cameras. In doing so, I hit a limit with that router whereby it would not authenticate any more devices. That made me wonder if Netgear routers had a limit to the number of WiFi devices that could be connected and working at the same time as cameras and smart devices require to be. I've not been able to find a definitive answer but posts/pages I have read suggest that this number is 32.

Assuming 32 to be the limit and given that I am trying to connect around 50 devices, would this reasonably explain why both routers got so hot and eventually gave up/crashed? i.e. is it correct that Netgear routers have no hard limit whereby you can't add any more devices, keep trying to cope but eventually get defeated?

Rather than seek out another router which can cope with all the devices in my household, would I be correct in thinking that a solution would be to use 1 router as the main modem/router and connect my cameras and smart devices to it (would be less than 32) then use the second router as an access point and this would likely overcome the issues with overheating and the WiFi connection dropping?

When I get home again, I will only have 5 days in which to test this before the cut off date when I can return the D7000v2 to Amazon so any thoughts/experiences/knowledge on this subject would be gratefully appreciated.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
SigueSigue
Tutor

Re: D6220 and D7000v2 dropping issues

I've been dealing with the same thing with our D7000v2.

firmwares made no difference.

this post says it has the anwer : https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/internet-dropping-out-on-d7000v2/m-p/1823243

also this page suggests the MTU size, that could be it. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000v2-dropping-internet-connection/m-p/1791867

I'll test it over the next day or two.

So frustrating.

Message 2 of 7
SigueSigue
Tutor

.....and

it dropped out. 

Message 3 of 7
Dustybug
Aspirant

I've tried various firmwares, reflashing, factory resetting, changed cables, filters, power supply, reduced MTU, changed channels and other settings - nothing solves it.

With an older Netgear router and a brand new Netgear router doing exactly the same thing, I still think the cause in within my house either in the form of a faulty device or due to the "load" I've been putting on the routers - i.e. the number of devices connected and in use at the same time. Unless a faulty device is somehow affecting Netgear routers and not my ISP provided router then I'm still leaning towards me overloadibg the routers.

As per my original post though, I'm away from home and unable to test this right now and by the time I get back I will only have 5 days in which I can test this theory before I have to decide to keep the router or send it back to Amazon before their returns cut off date.

I'm probably going to end up returning it as faulty then getting another one with more time to test before I potentially have to return it.

Message 4 of 7
Dustybug
Aspirant

@SigueSigue Do you have anything in the DMZ?

Since I first got a Xbox around 2002, I've always given it a fixed IP address and put it in the DMZ. I currently have a Xbox One X and have had it in my DMZ on both the D6220 and D7000v2. I know it's not necessary these days with UPnP but it's just something I've always done.

I happened to be looking in the router's log one night and it started filling up with connection attempts from various IP addresses to various ports on my DMZ IP address. My Xbox wasn't even switched on. Moments later, the router stopped working. Is this a DDOS attack?

I've now disabled the DMZ and my router hasn't had any issues since doing that.

I've no idea if a DDOS attack on my DMZ would cause the D6220 and D7000v2 to stop working and need to be power cycled but it's gone from happening every 2 or 3 days to not happening at all after I disabled the DMZ.

Message 5 of 7
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dustybug,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

First of all, we do apologize for the inconvenience of not getting back to you immediately due to the backlog in the system. Enabling the DMZ feature of the router leaving you in a vulnerable state as this opens all the ports of the router and that's one-way attackers/intruders get into your system and mess it up. You may still do port forwarding but this time make sure it's on a specific port for your XBOX game server.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver
Community Team

Message 6 of 7
SigueSigue
Tutor

I have a theory that when a D7000v2 has a certain number of devices connected, and another reconnects once turned on or is back in wifi range, then the router hangs.

the lights seem ok on the router, and you may connect, but then no internet, and everyone else loses internet but the lights on router still look fine

then you try disconnect and reconnect to network, and it wont reconnect

you either get :  a password prompt, a cannot reconnect error, or the network is missing.

the solution is to restart the router.

i live on a farm so I'l often outside then come back in the house with my iphone, and the first thing I hear the wife scream is the damn router is not working.

so this happens 4-5 times a day

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7