DG834G v2 - firmware update failed, recovery tool doesn't work

scb
Aspirant
Aspirant

DG834G v2 - firmware update failed, recovery tool doesn't work

Hi,

I tried to upgrade my DG834G v2 firmware at the weekend to the latest Version 3.01.38 (UK). I was upgrading from the previous firmware Version 3.01.31 (UK) and was connected via ethernet (not wireless). I have done this successfully many times before with previous updates.

The update failed and now the router's Power and Check light blink alternately, indicating that it is inoperable.

So I followed the instructions on this page:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d102417.asp

I tried to use the UpgradeWizard recovery tool but this doesn't seem to work at all. The interface for the Wizard overlaps with itself and it doesn't seem to recognise any connected devices (I don't even get the step that shows the Device List). I have tried two different Windows XP machines, 3 ethernet/patch cables and all of the ports on the router. Under no circumstances can I get the recovery tool to work.

I have also tried following the tips from various forum members for holding the reset button for 1 minute and various power cycling techniques etc. all to no avail. Nothing resets the router.

So, I basically have these questions:

- Has anyone ever managed to get the UpgradeWizard recovery tool to work and if so, how and on what operating system?

- Does anyone else know of any other way to recover the router or completely reset it back to it's original firmware?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer up any ideas!

scb
Message 1 of 36
fihart
Aspirant

Re: DG834G v2 - firmware update failed, recovery tool doesn't work

scb wrote:
Hi,

I tried to use the UpgradeWizard recovery tool but this doesn't seem to work at all. The interface for the Wizard overlaps with itself and it doesn't seem to recognise any connected devices (I don't even get the step that shows the Device List).
scb

This does sound like an issue with the Network Interface Card(s) you have used to run the Recovery Utility -- I even had trouble with a computer using a Netgear NIC. I'm afraid my only suggestions can be to try yet another computer or try various reset methods -- check out links on any posting on these forums by jmizoguchi.
Message 2 of 36
scb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, it was jmizoguchi's tips I was following to try and reset it. Unfortunately it didn't work.

So, you think it's the network cards that are causing the problem? Why would that be? Is that what causes the weird overlapping UI?

I can try some more machines at work and see if I have any joy but it does seem rather strange. Is this a known issue with the recovery tool and incompatibility with certain network adaptors?

Thanks again,

scb
Message 3 of 36
MarcusB
Aspirant

I have a similar problem. An update failed, and I was instructed to power off & back on the router and try again by the software. Now the upgrade wizard tool doesn't find my device, and the power & check lights flash constantly
Message 4 of 36
fihart
Aspirant

The NIC issue is known to those on the skyuser.uk forum where the recovery utility has been used to extract concealed user name and password from Sky Broadband supplied DG834GT.
Message 5 of 36
MarcusB
Aspirant

fihart wrote:
The NIC issue is known to those on the skyuser.uk forum where the recovery utility has been used to extract concealed user name and password from Sky Broadband supplied DG834GT.
This is an EX Sky DG834GT that I have the problem with. Although I have previously upgraded the firmware on 3 Sky routers on the same PC with no issues.
Message 6 of 36
fihart
Aspirant

Oh well, sounds like a problem with the router then.
Message 7 of 36
fihart
Aspirant

Just an afterthought -- are you using Vista because that is said not to work with the recovery utility or reflashing (or both).
Message 8 of 36
scb
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, so I've tried it on 4 different XP machines now, all with different NICs and the same thing happens on all of them. Basically, the recovery software just doesn't work at all.
Message 9 of 36
Fahad
Aspirant

scb wrote:
OK, so I've tried it on 4 different XP machines now, all with different NICs and the same thing happens on all of them. Basically, the recovery software just doesn't work at all.

Exactly like me.. I have tried it many times , when I click upgrade it hangs and I left it since last night waiting for the successfull message but I found it the same.. Smiley Sad
Message 10 of 36
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

it does sounds like this unit became fault for some reason if you tired 4 different NIC and same result
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 11 of 36
itsfake
Aspirant

I had the same exact problem when I tried to upgrade to the latest version like 30minutes ago. The only way the Netgear Recovery Tool is going to work is if you set a MANUAL IP Address. Then the recovery tool works. I just done it and it worked for me.
Message 12 of 36
scb
Aspirant
Aspirant

itsfake,

please could you explain the exact process you went through? What was the manual IP address that you set (on your PC I presume you mean)? What range did it need to be in?

thanks
Message 13 of 36
itsfake
Aspirant

scb wrote:
itsfake,

please could you explain the exact process you went through? What was the manual IP address that you set (on your PC I presume you mean)? What range did it need to be in?

thanks

I am using Windows XP SP3

Go to Control Panel, click Network Connections.
Right click Local Area Connection, then click Properties.
Click Internet Protocol and then click Properties
Click "Use the following IP Address"
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnest Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

If you have left the DCHP server alone in the router, those settings should work since 192.168.0.1 should be the routers IP Address. You will not be able to login to the router, but the Recovery Tool works.
Message 14 of 36
chtse2001
Novice

Thank you, itsfake. Smiley Happy

You have saved my router from being thrown at the wall.

I had the exact problem as the OP who updated to 3.01.38 (UK) firmware and the router failed to flash properly; it never went to the progress screen of the flash procedure and then the lights started flashing. It cannot be a coincidence that three people experienced the same problem, so there must be something wrong with the firmware code somewhere.

Scb, I, too, had problems with the recovery utility where the software overlayed the info boxes. Luckily had a laptop to reset the router using its NIC. I think what I did to get it to work is use the other exe file to flush the data from the program and then run the recovery.

Had to buy another DG834 (v4) just to get back online and find this thread to see if my old router was salvagable. Not happy about my wallet being stung, but glad I have now got a backup router just in case. Smiley Happy

A right pain in the ass getting the recovery utility to work. :rolleyes:
Message 15 of 36
vkapartz
Aspirant

I registered to post my experience, in case it helps someone: In short, nothing worked until I powered on the router, keeping the reset button pressed.

I have a DG384v4 but I don't believe it makes any difference. Tried just one PC and one NIC, Windows 98 (crashed) and Windows XP SP3 (worked). A dynamic or static IP didn't seem to matter (I got a dynamic one from the router, in the range 192.168.1.100 to at least 192.168.1.102, even when not working). Placement of the upgrade utility, in short or long paths, didn't seem to have any effect either. I removed other network interfaces and services on the specific one, but the wizard still couldn't find the router.

After I tried the power on - reset thing, the recovery procedure worked like a charm Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 36
runner_bean
Aspirant

I may have stumbled on the case of problems with the Netgear firmware update tool. I offer my experiences in case they may assist.

I, too, had the usual problems with the garbled user interface and the device MAC address not being found. I tried three HP/Compaq desktop machines, two with XP Pro SP3, and one with Windows Me. All failed in the usual way, despite different hardware NIC types in each machine.

As a last resort I dug out an old HP Omnibook laptop which XP Pro just runs on (very slow) and which has a Xircom network PCMCIA card (and had prevoisly had a Netgear WiFi card). This worked first time!

Now I have a hunch that the upgrade software only works if the host PC has (or has had) more than one network interface card so that the NIC list shown by the upgrade software contains more than entry, from which the user must select. Certainly this matched my experience and it can't be coincidence that several other respondents have succeeded with their laptops (which will usually have both WiFi and Cat5 NICs) when their desktops didn't work.

I haven't had time to try adding a second NIC to one of the failing machines to prove the point but someone else like like to try this.

I hope this helps someone (and maybe Netgear might be able to track down the software fault now).
Message 17 of 36
alistairfielden
Aspirant

I can confirm that the machine used to run the recovery tool on must have more than one network connection. I'm presuming that you also need Admin privlidges as I could not get the tool to work on a works PC that is 'locked down'. (Tool also caused Vista machine to terminate the application so you'll need XP at least)

I had to add a USB wireless adaptor to the laptop I used before the software would work properly.

In addition I had to power up the Router with the reset button pressed in to get the Power and Tick lights to flash.

Worked OK then and recovered the installation, including all the original settings so no need to reconfigure.
Message 18 of 36
dJe781
Novice

runner_bean wrote:
Now I have a hunch that the upgrade software only works if the host PC has (or has had) more than one network interface card so that the NIC list shown by the upgrade software contains more than entry, from which the user must select. Certainly this matched my experience and it can't be coincidence that several other respondents have succeeded with their laptops (which will usually have both WiFi and Cat5 NICs) when their desktops didn't work.

You are SO my hero dude.
I've been having trouble with running this recovery tool with every single desktop computer here (which means 4 PCs). I tried to run it from a friend's laptop and everything worked fine.

This tool really needs to get updated regarding to this issue.

Many thanks to you guys.
Message 19 of 36
G3ner1C
Novice

As of 2 days ago due to a storm (either phone line or power line) my partners dg834 v1 went into "firmware update" mode (medium alternating power and tick light flashing) and has been stuck there since, I have tried every trick on the net to get it out of it...

I've tried the latest and old firmware (recovery utility runs and works but when it's finished the modem goes straight back into "firmware update" mode), wrong model firmware (doesn't detect device so doesn't work), using the correct firmware to detect and then replacing it with a dg834pn firmware before update (as suggested on the sky forums, as well as other tricks), all of which have not worked at bringing it out of "update" mode.

Though all of these HAVE flashed and saved the firmware, the update details show the different firmware number/s and when the update utility goes to erase the eeprom the modem looks as if it's gone back to normal mode (solid green power light) for the duration of the erasure until it goes into flash mode (with the FAST power and tick light flashing) until it updates and finishes and shows the close button and the modem lights quickly flicker and it goes back to the "update" mode.

I've tried leaving it unplugged over night, tried holding the reset button for a good few minutes and it does nothing. I have tried 5 different PC's running win2k, xp, vista, win7 beta and 2 laptops all with different brand and chip set on board NIC's as well as several different add in NIC's ranging from realtek, intel pro, VIA, marvel, gigabit.

I have changed my IP settings from what the modem HAD to the default, to variations in between, I get no response from any kind of ping or poke from the modem on any IP (no surprise there) even the "mac to ip" had no luck. I tried pulling the cables and shutting down the update utility while it was erasing the eeprom and this left the modem lights in what appeared to be normal(ish) mode for a short time but within 5-10 seconds it reverted to "update" mode.

After scouring the net for the past 2 days and finding all the info on the firmware update utility and it's little nuances I initially thought it could be that but after all this I am inclined to think that something other than the actual firmware memory/chip has been damaged, while searching through I came across an unofficial firmware which went on to explain about the boot loader and the checksum that occurs when a firmware is flashed and loaded when the modem boots up. I watched the modem boot up and the network port lights flicker and the "I" light flickers and then it goes straight into "update" mode, from what I remember there is supposed to be a few more light flickers and then the power light comes on solid then the net light blinks and flickers etc etc...

So that's my theory on THIS situation because everything else has been tried and failed other than opening the box and making up a serial cable (from the other firmware site, and somehow trying to fix it that way) or start zapping it with a screwdriver and either fix it, make it worse or get some last entertainment out of it.

Though for 5 or so years and upgraded to adsl2 it's served a good hard life, I'll give it that. But to be taken out to a dodgy sudden onset storm that wasn't even that bad and not even sure whether it was phone line hit (must have been at the junction box up the street) or a power line surge/outage is a very unfitting way for it to go out Smiley Sad .
Message 20 of 36
GdG
Aspirant
Aspirant

vkapartz wrote:
I registered to post my experience, in case it helps someone: In short, nothing worked until I powered on the router, keeping the reset button pressed.

Same here. Thank you very much for saving my router.
Message 21 of 36
mazal
Aspirant

alistairfielden wrote:
I can confirm that the machine used to run the recovery tool on must have more than one network connection. I'm presuming that you also need Admin privlidges as I could not get the tool to work on a works PC that is 'locked down'. (Tool also caused Vista machine to terminate the application so you'll need XP at least)

I had to add a USB wireless adaptor to the laptop I used before the software would work properly.

In addition I had to power up the Router with the reset button pressed in to get the Power and Tick lights to flash.

Worked OK then and recovered the installation, including all the original settings so no need to reconfigure.

My very recent experience confirms that the PC *has* to have, or has to have had, more than one network card. I tried four different PCs, three with XP one with Win98, and could not get the menus of the upgrade wizard to behave - yes, I had pressed reset and powered on, the green and yellow lights were flashing. In desperation, on an old XP Pro PC, I installed two junky network cards. My config was like this:-

Onboard networkSmiley FrustratediS900 PCI Fast Ethernet
Added Old #1:Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet
Added Old #2:3Com 3C900 COMBO-based Ethernet

I set the LAN addresses to 192.168.0.20, 21, 22 resp, just for luck, but don't believe that this mattered. My very first effort was to connect the DG834G to the 3Com, and on the first attempt the upgrade wizared worked fine, the menus worked correctly. I had to select the appropriate card from the list of three on the wizard.

FWIW, I removed the two added network cards, and tried with the onboard card. This would not work originally. The wizard still listed all three of the network cards, although two had been removed, and the update worked fine with the onboard SiS card. Weird, it would not work with this card before I installed the other two.

I notice that some screenshots of using the update wizard show that the PC in question has, or had, several network cards. The four PCs on which I tried unsuccessfully all had only one (onboard) network card. So if you are struggling, borrow a network card or two, install them and return them.
Message 22 of 36
Tamagochi
Aspirant

I’ve had exactly the same upgrade problem, there is more than coincidence here.

I’ve always had a weird irritating thing where when I boot up my PC the DG834 loses the broadband connection so decided to finally fix it, and was advised yesterday by Netgear support to upgrade to the latest firmware DG834GV2_V3.01.38 UK. Anyway, that was my motivation to do an upgrade.

I’ve upgraded through the router web interface before. I did everything correctly, unplugged all connections except one PC, and took out the phone line for good measure. Logged into the router though the admin webpage and initiated the download. About 60% of the way through the download, the power and connection lights started alternating, and a cold shudder went down my spine. Yep the router had crashed and there was no way in.

I used my old laptop with a modem dial-up and found this topic on the forum, which gave lots of clues – thanks guys.

I tried all the ‘power on/hold the reset’ tricks but none worked. I downloaded the recovery utility and ran it on my main PC and it just sat there doing nothing. I set the PC for fixed IP address and still the utility just sits there.

After several hours of attempts, the only combination of circumstances that worked for me was this:

Put a PCMCIA wifi card into my laptop (a Netgear one incidentally), so more than one adapter would be present.
Connect the DG834 to the laptop using a cable.
Set the laptop ip config for:
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
Run the utility on my laptop. This time it gave a choice of adapters, so I selected the cable NIC.

The utility worked fine. I chose to download the previous firmware I still had a copy of (V31), and the router is up and running again. All the config had been retained.

I think it’s weirdly true that the utility itself needs to see more than one network adapter. However the fact that people are having problems upgrading to V38 using the normal web interface says to me there might also be a problem with V38, or there was a problem with the previous versions we had in our routers which means future upgrades don’t work properly.

Anyways, thanks to all who contributed here and got me sorted out.
Message 23 of 36
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

That’s interesting Tamagochi, so the recovery utility network device detection is bugged eh? Have you reported this to Tech Support?
Message 24 of 36
jsp_1983
Aspirant

Has Netgear said anything about this tool? I've tried on several machines:

-My laptop running Vista, which gets the program to run and find the router, but gives the blue screen (as expected)
- My laptop running Windows XP SP2 under Virtual PC on my Vista laptop. The program runs and finds the router, but the version number screen is skewed. Selecting the option to upgrade shows a progress bar making no progress.
- My desktop running XP SP2 with an onboard NIC, a wireless card and a separate NIC that I dropped in after reading about requiring a second NIC (just in case the addition of a wireless card wasn't enough). The program would run, but couldn't find the router, which seems to scotch the idea that the program will work if there are two NICs.
- Several other laptops all running XP, with built-in NIC and wireless. Router wasn't to be found on those, either.

Given the length of time this problem has been occurring for many other Netgear customers, I'd have expected that Netgear would have done something to acknowledge the problem with their utility and give some news on a fix for it? I've yet to find anything coming from them.
Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E