Re: DG834N won't boot

bushydon
Aspirant

DG834N won't boot

Hi there, I've been running on Firmware Version 1.02.13 for a few years now and just did an upgrade to Firmware Version 1.02.15. The router works fine but it froze so I unplugged it as I couldn't get access to it online. Now it sits with a red light and all the ethernet ports on. If I leave it a for about an hour I can get the red/green flashing power light which allows me to run the recovery software and it will again run no problem. It froze again so I unplugged it and same scenario as before. Is there a firmware that can take it back to basics so as to allow it to run normally or do you think the router is knackered, kindest regards, Pete.
Message 1 of 10
bushydon
Aspirant

I meant to mention that I have reset the router via quick 10 secs and the 1 minute hard reset as well including setting back to defaults in the router page, cheers, Pete.
Message 2 of 10
Joe_
Apprentice

Now your router may very well be bad, so I wouldn't like to get your hopes up too high.

Questions though: Did your problems start after upgrading the firmware? Since your router has been running on Firmware Version 1.02.13 for a few years now (presumably without issues), why did you upgrade? Have you tried reverting to Firmware Version 1.02.13?

It is also possible that the FW you upgraded to is currupted - you could try flashing the same FW again too.

If both re-flashing the upgraded FW as well as flashing the former FW fails to solve the issue then you may have to begin looking for a new router.
Message 3 of 10
bushydon
Aspirant

I'll try flashing it back to Firmware Version 1.02.13 and let you know, thanks for the response, all the best, Pete.
Message 4 of 10
bushydon
Aspirant

Hi there, flashed it back to Version 1.02.13 and wouldn't boot. I left for around half an hour and tried again and it booted up no problem. Took upstair to connect again and had the red power light again. Left for 30mins again and botted up again. I'm at a loss with this router, any advice would be appreciated, regards, Pete.
Message 5 of 10
Joe_
Apprentice

As I see it, it's either of 2 things:

- The FW is corrupted somehow - maybe you didn't follow the proper procedure or interupted it before it was complete, OR

- The router is failing.
Message 6 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

bushydon wrote:
Hi there, flashed it back to Version 1.02.13 and wouldn't boot.

try TFTP method
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=30453

see if you can upload the firmware again..

I don't think you can us this DGXX recovery tool on this model but you can use this one too
http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/263
now make sure you are using Windows XP as recovery tool seems to be trouble some on windows 7 o/S
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 10
bushydon
Aspirant

I'm using Windows Media Centre 2002, will it be okay with this operating system?? Regards, Pete.
Message 8 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

that is XP base O/S so should be fine
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 10
ccampy
Aspirant

if that doesnt work one final option worth a try is using the unix recovery tool it saved my dg834gv4 after it died during a firmware update but however it take a bit more to use then the TFTP one so try that first
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E