Re: DGN2000 LAN problem fixed

chris_chim
Aspirant

DGN2000 LAN problem fixed

My DGN2000 was suffering from the 'slow LAN' issues that seem fairly common - only connecting at 10Mbs etc
I opened it up to find 3 of the electrolytic capacitors had domed tops indicating they had overheated. Changed them all for rather better versions than Netgear specify (Teapo have a reputation for this) and it is now working fine again. I will be keeping it standing vertically from now on as it is less likely to cook the capacitors in this position.
Message 1 of 23
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Did you take any photographs?
Message 2 of 23
chris_chim
Aspirant

Here goes with the photo...
I replaced all the 470uF and the single 100uF caps but I think the problem was one or more of the three marked as these were the only ones that were bulging.
Message 3 of 23
chris_chim
Aspirant

Sorry, failed to add picture. Heres another go...
or if that doesn't work here is the link;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40569147@N04/4921216508/
Cheers
Chris
Message 4 of 23
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Neat, thanks.

Just to be clear, is that a picture before you swapped or after?
Message 5 of 23
chris_chim
Aspirant

Hi
That was a picture before, heres one I've just taken after:
router new caps[/IMG
or link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40569147@N04/4922937598/
Picture of the front to show I've got my green LEDs back again!
[IMG]router>
or link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40569147@N04/4922937600/
If anyone else is contemplating doing the same make sure you use 105 degrees C rated capacitors (or higher) and I also upped the ratings, if you want the Maplin order codes I used let me know. I would guess this also invalidates any warranty you may have!!!
Chris
Message 6 of 23
marcoc
Aspirant

Hi,

I probably have the same problem on my dgn2000

Symptom are worse,, because the speed negotiation goes amok, leaving the two end finished negotiation with different speed.

The only way to fix is to force the pc to ask only for the 10Mb speed, using linux and the dedicated utility.

Of course I used different pc, different NIC's, different cables .....all with the same results

I do not want to invalidate the guarantee, however;did Netgear make some recall or managed this case with you? Opening & soldering will be my last resort ...

Thanks. Marco
Message 7 of 23
chris_chim
Aspirant

Hi Marcoc
I got mine cheap off ebay sold as 'spares or repair' so didn't have any warranty to fall back on.
Chris
Message 8 of 23
omiez
Aspirant

Hi Andy I noticed the port number 4 stopped working and after opening the router the caps was slightly boiled. I think/hope that it´s the same problem of yours so i will replace the 3 caps. I´ll let you know more here.
Message 9 of 23
carvell
Aspirant

I had exactly the same problem with the LAN not negociating. Replaced the three capacitors as indicated above and the LAN now works perfectly. Thanks chris_chim. 🙂
Message 10 of 23
chris_chim
Aspirant

Glad it worked for you too 🙂
If anyone from Uk is interested I got my replacements from Maplin. Order codes were DT62S for 100uF 50V 105C electrolytic and DT66W for 470uF 25V 105C electrolytics.
Usual disclaimers and I imagine this voids any warranty.
Cheers
Chris
Message 11 of 23
amajor
Aspirant

Same problem with DGN2000 LAN ports - seemed much worse on ports 3 & 4. Took apart and saw those bulging CAPS - replaced as suggested and now appears to be working fine.

I can't believe that poor quality CAPS are still haunting electronic devices 10 years after I first encountered the problem - my DGN2000 is only 1.5 years old and I expect it to last longer than that.

Get your act together Netgear :mad:

Cheers for the tip chris_chim 🙂
Message 12 of 23
Davedlb26
Aspirant

Right its time to take mine apart and replace some caps can anyone tell me how the thing comes apart.
Message 13 of 23
chris_chim
Aspirant

From memory there are 4 screws under the stick on feet.
Message 14 of 23
chris_chim
Aspirant

Hi
Replacing the capacitors does need a little bit of soldering skill I'm afraid (but soldering isn't particularly hard). There are a few guides online that will help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on_2CP52cW4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCSNWi3UHf4
The main thing is to take your time and not force anything and make sure you put the new caps in the right way around. If the alternative is to bin it is worth having a go. If it is still under warranty take it back and get a new one.
I used the stands from my DG834 router which the DGN2000 replaced. I think using decent capacitors with a decent voltage/temperature rating will fix the problem anyway but standing it on its side is an extra measure and means they shouldnt get cooked by the heatsink as they do when it sits flat.
Cheers
Chris
Message 15 of 23
chris_chim
Aspirant

chris_chim wrote:
Hi
Replacing the capacitors .....

Sorry, posted to the wrong thread!
Message 16 of 23
yakuzja
Aspirant

Hi

I thing that, by my is the same problem. Just how do you open this DGN2000 Router ? I have problems white LAN transmission, getting IP address & one time he synchronized just to 10Mb/s on port 3. I don't now how to open this thing, on WLAN anything is working fine.

If someone has an instruction how to open this Router ?

🙂
Message 17 of 23
yakuzja
Aspirant

Hi

I thing that, by my is the same problem. I have problems white LAN transmission, getting IP address & one time he synchronized just to 10Mb/s on port 3. Now I have open it and I see the same as on your photo 😕

🙂
Message 18 of 23
yakuzja
Aspirant

After one month I must change another time the capacitor, and this Router is just to hot. I have make my own version 🙂

More Pics: http://tnij.org/odvt

Problem Fixed - Greetings from Poland 😉
Message 19 of 23
david987
Novice

chris_chim wrote:
Glad it worked for you too 🙂
If anyone from Uk is interested I got my replacements from Maplin. Order codes were DT62S for 100uF 50V 105C electrolytic and DT66W for 470uF 25V 105C electrolytics.
Usual disclaimers and I imagine this voids any warranty.
Cheers
Chris

Chris,

Thank you very much for posting this fix. I had the same symptoms with LAN ports 2-4 failing completely in the end. I replaced 2 capacitors and all working again now. 🙂

David.

NetGear: I would have gladly paid another few pence for my router if it would have avoided the hours of grief this has cost me. I will think twice before buying from NetGear again. :mad:
Message 20 of 23
yakuzja
Aspirant

I have installed DGTeam Firmware on this router, now he is working better and we have more options. Link to this firmware: http://dgteam.ilbello.com/index.php?pid=17
Message 21 of 23
cybergibbons
Aspirant

I've just started to experience this issue.

This is an inherent fault in the router - the capacitors are not rated properly and it fails. Sale of Goods Act in the UK means you can expect goods to last a reasonable period of time and you are entitled to a replacement or repair up to 6 years from the date of purchase.

If these caps are running over temperature or voltage, this is an inherent fault.

Why are you fixing these instead of getting them to replace them?
Message 22 of 23
cybergibbons
Aspirant

Well, Netgear so far have ignored or sidelined any support requests about this. Really not impressed that they are unwilling to admit their product is not fit for use from the outset.
Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E