Re: DGN2000: can't add a mac address in address reservation list

pawhe955
Aspirant

DGN2000: can't add a mac address in address reservation list

Hi all,

Just bought a DGN2000, and am setting up DHCP reservations in preparation for then being able to use "known/fixed" IP addresses in Firewall rules - and have come across the issue that the router is refusing to recognise/add one of my newer laptop's MAC addresses into the DHCP reservation table, with the warning dialogue box that states "Invalid MAC Address, please enter again!". (MAC address in question starts B4:82:FE, and is from a Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless card in a fairly new model Toshiba laptop).

I've found a previous thread on the same issue for the same router (and where the OP checked the router's webserver's webpage javscript and found that it appeared to have been programmed to check that the first 2 characters of the MAC address had to be "00") - but that thread is now marked closed, albeit there was no actual resolution to the issue (although a Netgear admin had requested to be forwarded the MAC address that the OP was having trouble with):

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=31237&highlight=illegal+mac+address+dgn2000&page=2

So - I'm on the latest firmware (according to the router's inbuilt check), but the issue remains - so just wondering where this issue is at? I'm waiting for an official response from Netgear support (via email), but there seems to be a large gap between the original post mentioned above (January 1st 2009) and now - ample time for the issue to have been reolved with new firmware - but few other people posting that they are seeing this issue. (Anyone else???) Or, is it just me... 😞

Thanks,

P.

P.S. - have tried changing the MAC address on the Tosh to one that might work, but under Windows 7 this is proving slightly challenging as well......
Message 1 of 16
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

This forum is a user-to-user forum and is not actively monitored by Netgear Support.

There are a number of routers that suffer from this problem, not just the DGN2000.

I have no idea why this problem still exists.
Message 2 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

check firmware under product support page or contact support for BETA firmware.

it's been posted since last week that there is fixed for it but believe it is beta firmware. use my.netgear.com and ASK
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 16
pawhe955
Aspirant

I've checked under the (firmware) downloads page for the product, and there doesn't seem to be a BETA one listed - also a search for "BETA DGN2000 firmware" doesn't throw up anything, unfortunately.

As mentioned in the original post, I have an email based support call/request outstanding with Netgear support, so if there is a BETA lurking out there that might solve the problem, hopefully they will be aware of it, and have the foresight to point me in it's direction.....

When you say that "...it's been posted since last week that there is fixed for it..." - is it just co-incidence that I have re-raised the issue after two years, but only one week since a potential fix was identified...!!???!!! And as a matter of interest, where was the information about the potential fix actually posted last week? (e.g. a public forum, or behind the scenes at Netgear..??)

Thanks for the responses....

P.
Message 4 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Beta firmware or firmware from support has Mac address fixes I read about

It could be any other dgnxxx model but it's been posted by some stating fix is out
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 16
pawhe955
Aspirant

Just had another look at the firmware page for theDGN2000 - interesting that the release notes for the "v1.3.11.0NA (for North America users only)" version states:

3. Fixed address reservation where MAC address start with non-zero.

Whereas the "v1.1.8.0 (for users outside North America)" version only lists the following (that has anything to do with MACs/DHCP):

7. Fixed various DHCP issues

As I'm already running v1.1.8.0 (being in the UK), I guess that we're waiting for a new release, to catch up with the one that has already been fixed for US users...???

P.
Message 6 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

contact support at my.netgear.com and open the case..raise hell lol 🙂
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 16
methuselah_
Aspirant

I guess that we're waiting for a new release,
I believe there is already a beta firwmare (for UK users) that fixes this problem. 🙂
"I make no claims to be an expert; I have got things wrong in the past and will again in the future." ~Mars Mug, Netgear Forums
Message 8 of 16
leuzz
Aspirant

pawhe955 wrote:
Just had another look at the firmware page for theDGN2000 - interesting that the release notes for the "v1.3.11.0NA (for North America users only)" version states:

3. Fixed address reservation where MAC address start with non-zero.

Whereas the "v1.1.8.0 (for users outside North America)" version only lists the following (that has anything to do with MACs/DHCP):

7. Fixed various DHCP issues

As I'm already running v1.1.8.0 (being in the UK), I guess that we're waiting for a new release, to catch up with the one that has already been fixed for US users...???

P.

You can still edit the configuration file as I wrote on the original thread, and avoid netgear when you will go for buying network appliances next time.
Or relocate to North America.
Message 9 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I believe there is already a beta firwmare (for UK users) that fixes this problem. this was said already... didn't that made some statement...:)
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 16
pawhe955
Aspirant

Yep - Netgear support have just replied that (as long as I agree not to disseminate it), they will make a beta UK firmware available that does indeed fix this issue - so just waiting for that.....

In the meantime, 2 solutions that worked:

- Used Firefox and disabled Javascript processing on the "add DHCP reservation" page after 'selecting' (radio button) the offending device, but before pressing the "Add" button (using a FF 'add-on' like "QuickJava") - the js doesn't then check the "legality" (as per Netgear's 'rules') of the MAC address, and adds it to the DHCP reservation table ok. Only issue is that you can't change the IP to be reserved, from the one that DHCP has already assigned.....

- as per Leuzz suggestion, hand-edit the backed up config file using notepad, changing a "legal" MAC/IP combination to the required one, then restore the config file (perhaps adding the over-written "legal" one back in, via the GUI, afterwards...).... Was a bit concerned about screwing up any checksums on the config file (and corrupting the 'restored config') but it seemed to work o.k....

Would be nice to think that reason for the UK version being Beta is that there are other fixes in the version that haven't been QA'd yet - as the only real change required for the "illegal MAC" issue is a simple edit on a bit of Javascript (which even if that goes "wrong", shouldn't affect any other core function of the router) - and also as the "fixed" US version has been released as production code, there shouldn't be much reason why the UK one remains in beta?

P.

and no offence - but I like my little bit of Great Britain, so I'm staying put... 😄
Message 11 of 16
hypnotoad
Aspirant

Unbelievable! Just updated the firmware to 1.1.11.0 (non-US) and the problem still hasn't been fixed. :rolleyes:
Message 12 of 16
ccampy
Aspirant

hypnotoad wrote:
Unbelievable! Just updated the firmware to 1.1.11.0 (non-US) and the problem still hasn't been fixed. :rolleyes:

just do what i have done save the config file from the router open it up using notepad then add name mac and ip of what you want to reserve in to it
it should look something like this

[140304]"Address Reservation"=Xboxslim;192.168.0.3;00:1D:D8:75:F1:B2
Message 13 of 16
chenzo
Novice

I too have an issue about reserving a mac address .
I live in Australia and have the latest firm ware..V1.1.8.0
what the go do we Aussies miss out , I would rather use firm updates than mess with the config file as suggest prev. But if I must Could be explaine in simple terms for me
Message 14 of 16
ccampy
Aspirant

basiclly just log in to your router at the 192.168.0.1 page save a backup of the setting to desktop open that back up with notepad search the txt file for address reservation nnot: you must have at least one static ip all ready set for this to be on the file

you should find something like this
[140304]"Address Reservation"=COMP;192.168.0.24;00:DF:9A:92:21:65
[140304]"Address Reservation"=comp2;192.168.0.25;00:AF:9A:92:21:65

basiclly you just copy the whole of the thing in red including the large space at the end then just paste it after the previous reservation block then you edit the bit hilieted in green with what ever you want the new computers details to be eg what its called the ip you want to assign and its MAC address just post again if your stuck 🙂
Message 15 of 16
mcrubellati
Aspirant

I'm having the same "invalid MAC address problem with my DNG200
When there will be a fix available?
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation