Re: DGN2200v3 constant rebooting

HDTurtle
Tutor

DGN2200v3 constant rebooting

I've had this router 2 months or so and it keeps rebooting automatically (This started in about week 2!!) at least once a week to every 2 weeks. Usually when the ethernet cable is plugged in.

My network setup
Router is plugged into an external modem which is in the wall (switched DHCP off in the router to get internet access). Ethernet cable was used to make that connection. ADSL port is not connected to anything. Router is wirelessly connected to a laptop, Xbox 360 and iPod touch. Port 3 is connected to a Blu Ray player which is off most of the time.

There are loads of other WiFi networks in my building and surrounding buildings, I don't know if that's affecting it

Now the issue is, it will just reboot for no apparent reason, in the middle of something. It will do it several times in one day and then be fine until it randomly does it again the next day or in a week, or in two weeks.

Things I've tried:
- Resetting. Didn't work
- Upgrading firmware. The only new version was the North American firmware, same problem
- Registering for an RMA. System didn't recognise the serial number (seriously NetGear, what is this -_-)
- Ringing NetGear support. They suggested reset it. Tried that, see above.

Interestingly when the ethernet cable that goes to the modem is unplugged, its rebooting fit stops, until I put it back in again (unless it's not done with messing me around). It may work if I turn DHCP back on, but then there will be two conflicting modems and I risk no internet at all (which is why I turned it off in the first place).

I also can't access NetGear Genie. Had two of these routers and couldn't access it properly with either

Any suggestions?
Tired of companies taking my money without first testing the thing! :mad:
Message 1 of 10
HDTurtle
Tutor

There are up to 72 other WiFi around me (that's assuming everybody has their own one, so the number is probably much less). My Xbox is always telling me busy network
Message 2 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

channel interference issues

2.4Ghz only has 1,6,11 and 13 for Europe so you limited on channel.

There is much you can do about it. You will need to use 5Ghz to get out of busy saturated 2.4Ghz
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 10
HDTurtle
Tutor

My Xbox doesn't support 5GHz and I don't tink the iPod touch does either. Don't know about the laptop though. May try that suggestion
Message 4 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

OR power line device and extend the network and use WIRED to all the devices
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 10
HDTurtle
Tutor

I can't find any option to change from 2.4GHz. The correct firmware for my region is now on there which seems to have made it so much worse. It's the initial firmware that was on there (1.1.00.10_1.00.10) because NetGear didn't update anyone's firmware other than North America. So far it seems I'm stuck with this problem and a partially working router. Currently going wired, directly to the modem in the wall :mad:
Message 6 of 10
HDTurtle
Tutor

Since nobody is willing to help me out (apart from the other poster in this thread), this will probably be the first and last time I buy a NetGear product (at least for a long time). Couldn't even build a router that works right 😞
Message 7 of 10
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

In your other thread http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=85405 you say you disabled DHCP, could you tell us why please?

HDTurtle wrote:
There are up to 72 other WiFi around me (that's assuming everybody has their own one, so the number is probably much less).

If you are seeing 72 wireless networks nearby, then that’s very excessive, are these all visible in a wireless scan?

Remember each wireless network you see in a scan is just the router or access point and none of the client devices, so 72 networks could be a vast number of client devices. WiFi uses CSMA/CA which requires that only one device in an area on overlapping (for 2.4GHz) channels can transmit at any one time. So all your wireless devices and the router will be contending with a great many other devices for ‘transmission time’.

Can you connect your x-box by Ethernet cable, and disable wireless in the router completely for a temporary test?
Message 8 of 10
HDTurtle
Tutor

My iPod picks up 25 of them if I go stand outside, between the two buildings, one of them being my own one. However, I worked out there is likely to be a lot more than that, therefore the 72 up above in my OP (if everybody has their own network)

In any case I have a new problem, PSU has started whining and the router has a quiter one. This router is complete garbage, unplugged it and gave up on the thing. NetGear just release garbage on to the market and charge you to "fix" it (they don't use new parts in their replacement, just refurbed parts). Never buying from this terrible company again.
Message 9 of 10
HDTurtle
Tutor

I disabled DHCP because otherwise the two modems in the network configuration would have most likely not been able to give a working IP address between them (I know, because that's what was happening)
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E