DGN3500 QOS and Parental Controls?

markmcrobie
Aspirant

DGN3500 QOS and Parental Controls?

I just bought a new DGN3500 here in the UK.

The Netgear official site clearly says:

"Live Parental Controls – Free!"
"Advanced Quality of Service"

I can find no such settings in router config page.

I have firmware "V1.1.00.28_1.00.28"

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Message 1 of 7
matro
Novice

Re: DGN3500 QOS and Parental Controls?

it also says "Guest network access", and it's not there... really disappointing.
Message 2 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

contact support at my.netgear.com and use open technical submission

I think there were products that stated LPC supports at product page but current released firmware did not included which means you have to wait for new firmware to have it's supported. believe they released the products w/o lPC supports in the firmware

confirm with support.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 7
Jay_JWLH
Aspirant

matro wrote:
it also says "Guest network access", and it's not there... really disappointing.

The feature does exist, but not in the way that you think it does. Instead, you need to look at your first SSID, and check the box next to Wireless Isolation. After that make your second SSID. Then each wireless connection will be treated separately. Not really something I would call a guest network. That is just what they think it technically is all about.
Message 4 of 7
Jay_JWLH
Aspirant

When it comes down to the Live Parental Controls, this product has been out for well over a year now, and yet they have advised one other customer on these forums that they have plans to include it in the next firmware update. Personally, I think that this is far too late, and wouldn't hold my breath for that update to appear any time soon. As for the whole Advanced Quality of Service, I think that is (unintentionally) misleading. It is just a heading, while in reality it only support WWM. So go check out this feature under the specifications. This is a QOS, but works for the wireless network. So although you won't get priority traffic for a phone call over the internet, you will at least get it over the wireless network.
Message 5 of 7
Jay_JWLH
Aspirant

I have new information. The parental controls do exist, but it isn't to be confused with the LPC Management Utility which is available but ISN'T compatible with the model DGN3500. Instead it comes in the most basic feature on the device webpage, under Security > Block Sites. From there you can block particular keywords or webpages. Awful for a feature that they list, but other manufacturers might do the same thing on their own products.

As for the QOS, most high end routers should include QOS over your internet connection, but this one only has it over your wireless connection. You will have to look over more of the details to understand that they are only talking about a specific kind of QOS. Whether this is misleading or not is understandable from both ends of the matter.
Message 6 of 7
malcolmSD
Aspirant

I am also alittle disappointed with the DNG3500 with out the QOS i have had cheaper adsl routers out perform this in setting wise lucky this was only a replacement so i guess i will replace sometime soon
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E