Re: DGNB2100 kit with DGN2000

ramtec
Aspirant

DGNB2100 kit with DGN2000

Does anyone know why a DGNB2100 kit (router & usb adapter) would contain a DGN2000 router with a non-standard specification? Why would the specification for username / password and default IP address not be the same as the factory specification quoted in the user manual? The non-standard spec is even printed on the label on the underside of the body of the router. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 18
ccampy
Aspirant

are you sure it is a dgn2000 it probs is but double check second is it some sort of special branded version like a isp one perhaps? third what is this non standered user and password
Message 2 of 18
ramtec
Aspirant

Yup, I'm sure its a DGN2000. Username / password = admin / admin. Default IP address is 192.168.1.1
Message 3 of 18
Joe_
Apprentice

I assume you have this kit (since you didn't state definitely) and you actually tried the username and password printed on the label stuck to the router and it works, hence your query. Well if it works, what's the point?

Okay, point granted if according to your observations it is really different from what is in the manual, but at least they have printed what it's supposed to be on the label and it works.

In comparison to this, I've seen where what is stated in the manual is not what happens in actual practice. I've seen too where information in the manual could be misleading and result in a person wasting a lot of time to get something working. THAT to mind is far more serious. AND this isn't even touching on reported bugs in the firmware! That's a whole topic on it's own.

So whether you want to be like a someone once posted "just a person that likes to have everything functioning as it's supposed to" is up to you.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that it's not right when things aren't as stated, but real life has shown that perfection is simply not there most of the time. So should I allow myself to be stressed by every small detail? For me I choose NO. 🙂
Message 4 of 18
ramtec
Aspirant

Thnaks, Joe, but I'm afraid all of your assumptions about the reasoning behind my question are wrong. I'm trying to find out from where this router was sourced from. An ISP package seems to be favourite with sources not on this board but I was hoping for an official word on here rather than an opinion. Thanks.
Message 5 of 18
Joe_
Apprentice

ramtec wrote:
I'm trying to find out from where this router was sourced from. An ISP package seems to be favourite with sources not on this board...

Why didn't you say so in the first place? If you don't leave it up to me to be guessing at just what info you have or what's on your mind, then I wouldn't be doing that. 😉
...but I was hoping for an official word on here rather than an opinion.

This is a user-to-user forum only as you may have come to realise. Netgear is not expected to put in an official appearance here (although that has apparently changed somewhat on the WNDR3800 & 4500 forums).
Message 6 of 18
ramtec
Aspirant

There are plenty of NetGear employees on here in an unofficial capacity. My question still remains - "Does anyone know why a DGNB2100 kit (router & usb adapter) would contain a DGN2000 router with a non-standard specification?"
Message 7 of 18
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

ramtec wrote:
There are plenty of NetGear employees on here in an unofficial capacity.

I can see who the Netgear posters are (whether they post or not), you are quite wrong to think there are plenty, and in any case I have only seen one posting in the wireless forums in any official capacity.

What is the firmware version listed in the router admin pages?
Message 8 of 18
ramtec
Aspirant

The information supplied in the original question is all I have to go on. Firmware unknown.
Message 9 of 18
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

OK, I read post #3 as an indication that you are able to log in to the router.
Message 10 of 18
Joe_
Apprentice

ramtec wrote:
...An ISP package seems to be favourite with sources not on this board...

ccampy wrote:
second is it some sort of special branded version like a isp one perhaps?

I agree with ccampy. It is quite possible that if this is being supplied by an ISP as part of a package then it may have ISP branded firmware on it as well. This may explain why there is "non-standard specification" in your words.
Message 11 of 18
ramtec
Aspirant

Does anyone know why a DGNB2100 kit (router & usb adapter) would contain a DGN2000 router with a non-standard specification? Why would the specification for username / password and default IP address not be the same as the factory specification quoted in the user manual? The non-standard spec is even printed on the label on the underside of the body of the router. I'm sure its a DGN2000. Username / password = admin / admin. Default IP address is 192.168.1.1. No other information available. Any ideas? Thanks.
Message 12 of 18
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

You have not made it clear if you can access the router admin or not. If you can then the firmware version number will help us to track down the original source of the router / firmware, without that extra information even Netgear staff would be guessing from the details you have provided.
Message 13 of 18
ramtec
Aspirant

Despite the multiple posts giving an appearance that this question has been answered, it hasn't. This post is still open, if anyone knows the likely source of this router as per the original question and specification above.
Message 14 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

firs thing is .. retail purchase or ISP provided?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 15 of 18
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Ramtec, can you access the router admin pages or not?
Message 16 of 18
ramtec
Aspirant

"I just wanted to say that I haven't read your post properly, I don't have an answer to your question, but it makes me feel better about myself, alone with my laptop, if I sound authoritative in telling you that there aren't any Netgear engineers on here..."

Thanks for the contact Mr Netgear Engineer. Mystery resolved - Mission accomplished.
Message 17 of 18
ccampy
Aspirant

ramtec wrote:
"I just wanted to say that I haven't read your post properly, I don't have an answer to your question, but it makes me feel better about myself, alone with my laptop, if I sound authoritative in telling you that there aren't any Netgear engineers on here..." Thanks for the contact Mr Netgear Engineer. Mystery resolved - Mission accomplished.
you do know you are making no sense dont you? if you want an answer to your question can you first answer a few questions 1 were did you get this device from eg ISP, Amazon, local Store, Ebay? 2 What firmware version is showing on the router status page? 3 Is the GUi on the router a normal netgear style one or does it have other thing's written on it?
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E