DGND 3300v2 Wireless Repeating Issue Found?

blanka
Novice

DGND 3300v2 Wireless Repeating Issue Found?

I have found a series of steps that seem to unravel a repeat issue with my router.

My old DG834N allowed me to configure repeating but I was an idiot back then I did not understand the wireless security limitations long story short my netgear access point died via a firmware update.

Move on a few more months and I upgraded my router. Smiley Happy

Steps I took:

1) Use mac filtering under the 'LAN Setup' page to assign a static IP to the new AP.
2) Save and apply to make sure it saved in the address reservation table.
3) Turn off or lower Wireless Security to WEP.
4) Turn on wireless repeating, has a dedicated page.
5) Choose wireless repeater and input the static IP you assigned it in STEP1.
6) Input the MAC address of the AP also on the same page.
7) Save and apply.
8) Click elsewhere to make sure your connection to the router is still active and the changes you have made have not broken anything?

Windows 7 reports a few moments later that you have lost connectivity to your router and your web access also as a result has died.

To make things interesting; I reset my router and restored my saved settings and tried again. I found the same issue. What good is it in buying a new AP from any vendor out there if I lose 'ALL ACCESS' to my router after the following the above simple steps. Even though the front panel on my router seems to suggest that nothing is wrong? Even wireless access is broken ... I can connect but no IP is being assigned to my mobile device.

My firmware version is: V2.1.00.41_1.00.41

If you guys can help me then please do but I'm looking at returning this item and giving up on the netgear brand.
Message 1 of 5
blanka
Novice

Re: DGND 3300v2 Wireless Repeating Issue Found?

A firmware update later and I managed to get it to save my settings.

My access point was able to survey for a wireless network and it was starting to look good so far ... but then I noticed that $150 router only supports WEP security which according to my TP-LINK access point is only limited the G spec and not the n spec. So if your Main Basestation/Router is broadcasting a n spec wireless network your stuffed.

Here is the infuriating part, you have to lower your wireless security down to WEP to make it all work and then you have to also lower the wireless spec down to G standard.

Which kind of makes this entire process kind of pointless, I may as well run a wire rather have my AP communicate wirelessly with my basestation as all these compromises you have to make purchasing a top spec router pointless as there is hardly any custom firmwares out there that allow you to open up router to exploit some hidden features hidden under the hood somewhere.

If anyone has any ideas how we can get the 3300v2 to use a higher security level then let me know as this router ain't new its pretty old now I'd say over a year old but for wireless repeating you are pretty much stuck!!!
Message 2 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

if you use extender, you would have not any issues.

does not need be WEP.
does not loose performance in half in repeating..
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 5
blanka
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
if you use extender, you would have not any issues.

does not need be WEP.
does not loose performance in half in repeating..

hmmm ... well what I will do is use my simple little access point into a client mode to enable my digi box downstairs. That has a ethernet port but not built in wifi so more research for me to do.

In the mean time I will put some money together and find out a bit more about these extenders from netgear you mentioned.

Cheers June
Message 4 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: wnr834b as access point

Wnce2001 is also an option as well
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-