Highlighted
Aspirant

DGND3300 setup problem, cannot connect laptop to router

During CD-ROM set-up of my new Netgear DGND3300 router my laptop does not detect a router.

What I have done:
- Disconnected my existing router and used the phone cable and ethernet cable that are currently in use
- Router boots up normally with all the lights lighting up as expected
- During set-up I am stuck as it does not detect a router
- I have tried different phone cable, ethernet cable, different laptop, etc. but makes no different
- I spend 45 minutes on the phone with tech support (as the unit is still new) and they told me to return it to the company I bought it from but they claim it all works fine and have now returned it again.
- With netgear tech support we looked at various things, including trying to ping the router (cmd ipconfig) with no luck

I am caught between netgear and the supplier which isn't nice but if somebody can give me some other tips/hints/advice as I would like this unit to simply work for me.

Simon
Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: DGND3300 setup problem, cannot connect laptop to router

Exactly how did you connect the router to the PC?
Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Virtuoso

What I have done:
- Disconnected my existing router and used the phone cable and ethernet cable that are currently in use
- Router boots up normally with all the lights lighting up as expected
- During set-up I am stuck as it does not detect a router
- I have tried different phone cable, ethernet cable, different laptop, etc. but makes no different
- I spend 45 minutes on the phone with tech support (as the unit is still new) and they told me to return it to the company I bought it from but they claim it all works fine and have now returned it again.
- With netgear tech support we looked at various things, including trying to ping the router (cmd ipconfig) with no luck

user must use ethernet cable
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
Virtuoso

if you done ipconfig, I assume you got 0.0.0.0 or 169.x IP ?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

I connected the laptop with the router using the existing yellow ethernet cable, I also used the yellow ethernet cable that was supplied with the router. No difference.

My Dell D620 laptop is docked in a docking station most of the time, so I use the ethernet connection on the back of the docking station. I have also tried a different laptop (without docking station), same result.

My IP config for my ethernet adapter local area connection for the default gateway says: 192.168.1.1

Still using my old router and appreciate any suggestions from the forum to get me to use the new Netgear router.

Thanks.

Simon
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Apprentice

crommerts,

Although you did supply some info, certain things are still unclear/unknown. (That's the problem when we can't actually see what your setup is.)

I therefore have to make certain assumptions based on "reading between the lines" of your posts.

The DGND3300 is a combined modem and router in one unit.

You must connect your phone line from the wall outlet directly into the DGND3300.

There must be no other modem between the DGND3300 and outlet.

Your computer must be connected by ethernet cable to either LAN ports 1,2,3, or 4.

Can you verify if that is the way you have things setup?
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Joe,

There is no other modem connected at the same time. From my phone socket outlet there is the standard micro-filter (which is needed and allows you phone and internet access at the same time), there is the phone line cable (supplied by Netgear), there is the router itself and than it is connected with the yellow ethernet cable to the laptop. My current modem/router was disabled during the installation of the Netgear unit as I used the current phone and current yellow ethernet cable for the new Netgear unit. The current modem was also turned off.

My laptop was connected using LAN port 2.

Yes I can verify that your assumptions were correct.

Thanks for your help.
Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Virtuoso

crommerts wrote:

My IP config for my ethernet adapter local area connection for the default gateway says: 192.168.1.1

Simon

If you have gateway showing then you should have ip assign to this device with 192.168.1.x

Can you ping the router ?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Apprentice

Have you tried accessing the router directly and not using the CD?

When all the LEDs of the DGND3300 have settled down, try going to it from your browser by entering it's address (normally 192.168.1.1).
Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Using another laptop (another other one than the 2 I already used) I managed to get everything connected and all is up and running. Still don't know how and or why. But third time lucky.

What I guess the problem was: my business laptop has got VPN on it and from reading the manual this sometimes causes problems ("Corporate networkd settings or VPN client software may conflict with the default settings of a home router.").

Two of my 3 laptops work correctly now both wireless and using the ethernet cable. My work computer only works using the ethernet cable and not wireless.

My work computer uses the Intel Wireless software but all tries so far have failed during the configuration set-up.

Happy that all is working now but any suggestions on the open wireless question?
Message 10 of 12
Highlighted
Apprentice

Glad to see that you have sorted things at least to the stage of getting 2 laptops to work.

As for VPN, I have never had the cause to use that so I don't know much about it. June is the expert where that is concerned. You could try some of the links under his signature dealing with VPN. If you still have problems after then he is the one to get help from.

Good luck! Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Corp computer will bring few issues

Most parts laptop on domain still able for user to join other wireless network
Depending in actual model of wifi card in the PC can be an issue with n routers. Intel software does not tell any.

Corp VPN client can be also a problem while you may connect home network with Ethernet cable to gain acess network for Internet but using VPN client can also disable local network acess such as printer ,file sharing while VPN client is used
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation