Re: DGND4000 with fiber optics internet connection?

digital2
Aspirant

DGND4000 with fiber optics internet connection?

I didn't find a proper place to post this,so I thought that posting this here is the best I can do.
my question is regarding the coming DGND4000,I have a fiber connection,does this model work's ok as a modem?
is there any compatibility issues with system that's in use by my isp(STC) in ksa?
thanks
Message 1 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

some of the DGND model has additional internet port (WAN) part with DSL modem built-in

so if you change from DSL to other NON dsl then it should work as long as device offers addition WAN ports
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 11
readysecure1985
Aspirant

With any modem selection always check with your ISP to ensure compatibility.
Message 3 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

This fiber so likely to be fine. It will use the WAN ports instead if DSL(RJ-11) connection to the 4000
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 11
digital2
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
some of the DGND model has additional internet port (WAN) part with DSL modem built-in

so if you change from DSL to other NON dsl then it should work as long as device offers addition WAN ports

first,thanks for your reply
this one as per specifications does have a fiber port, so i assume that it should work,now we are left with compatibility issues,I'm using Huawei - Echolife Hg8245,hopefully someone can hep me on this.
Message 5 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I would check with your ISP in how setup properly with your existing router

Ask for bridge mode
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 11
digital2
Aspirant

readysecure1985 wrote:
With any modem selection always check with your ISP to ensure compatibility.

the problem is my isp is proved to be not honest in this regards,the want to fool you to buy their devices,I had a dsl connection and I been told that only modems that been supplied by them will work(netgear)was not among their selections,I bought one,and guess what?it was working,and was away better than their modems,not to mention this was not the only case,and that's why I'm posting this here.
Message 7 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=echolife%20hg8245%20bridge%20mode&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEwQFj...

looks like it will do some bridge mode. ..
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 11
w3wilkes
Prodigy

The dgnd4000 would require the use of a fiber modem. You would then take the LAN port of the fiber modem to the WAN port on the DGND4000. If the ISP allows bridged mode on their modem you could use that and then do your WAN login from the DGND4000. If you can't bridge the fiber modem you can do a different subnet like 192.168.1.1 with the DGND4000 as 192.168.1.2 (fixed IP) and DMZ the DGND4000 IP on the fiber modem. This does give the disadvantage of a double NAT, but about the only thing I've had trouble with in the DMZ config is RDC using Outlook or Messenger. I've used at least 3 different VPN's and TN3270 across VPN to IBM mainframes with the DMZ config no problem.
D7000v2 / DGND3700v1
Message 9 of 11
w3wilkes
Prodigy

The real thing that I forgot to say in the last DGND4000 reply is that the DGND4000 really doesn't do anything more than the DGND3700v2 other than give a higher theoretical wireless speed. The current DGND3700 (v1) has some issues so until Netgear gets those addressed I would guess the DGND3700v2 and DGND4000 will have many of the same issues which will spread the Netgear resources to fix these problems even thinner than they currently appear to be.
D7000v2 / DGND3700v1
Message 10 of 11
digital2
Aspirant

thanks to all of you guys for your help,will just have to wait and see,the main issue with thier modem is the very weak wifi signal+compatibility with other devices such as game consoles.
I may try the r6300 router.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements