× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DOS ATK THAT SEEMS TO BE CAUSING MY PC TO DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET

ADAMT840
Aspirant

DOS ATK THAT SEEMS TO BE CAUSING MY PC TO DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET

For the last couple weeks ive been getting disconnection while using my pc from games and streams, ive been checking event viewing and trying fixes for some errors i noticed there i also had microsoft support run tests and repairs and it still seems to be happening. the only other thing is in the logs of my router it has: [DoS attack: ACK Scan] from source: 52.70.101.206:443 Tuesday, May 03,2022 17:06:28
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.11)] to MAC address BE:D7:E0:5C:B9:5E Tuesday, May 03,2022 17:03:41 

ive read it can be cause from websites and what not but i also saw it could be too many packets being sent and it forcing a disconnection. im wired with an ethernet and the disconnections are happening at the same exact time dos atks are shown in the log

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: DOS ATK THAT SEEMS TO BE CAUSING MY PC TO DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET

What NG router model do you have?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do a whois look up on that IP address to see where it's coming from...

Message 2 of 7
ADAMT840
Aspirant

Its a netgear AC1200 router model: R6120

its on firmware version V1.0.0.82

the modem is an arris model TM822G

i did a whois lookup the majority of the instances seems to just be from websites like apple amazon etc.. 2 of the ones i looked up were from somewhere in ukraine. even if theyre false reports could it still potentially cause me to disconnnect?

Message 3 of 7

Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

As @FURRYe38 says, use Whois.net to see who is behind some of them and you may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP.

Here is a useful tool for that task:

IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers

If these events are slowing down your router, that may be because it is using up processor time as it writes the events to your logs. Anything that uses processor power – event logging, QoS management, traffic metering – may cause slowdowns. Disable logging of DoS attacks and see if that reduces the problem. This does not prevent the router from protecting you from the outside world.

Message 4 of 7
ADAMT840
Aspirant

okay i turned off the attacks in the log we'll see if that helps. Most of them were false reports a couple from china and ukraine but it still has to be causing the disconnection ive checked everything in the world with my pc and the disconnections happen at the same exact time as the attacks are shown in the log

Message 5 of 7
ADAMT840
Aspirant

this time though it said Winnuke atk instead of ack scan

Message 6 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ADAMT840, if you haven't yet, we recommend contacting our support team. You can always reach our support team via the link below if you need any technical assistance with your NETGEAR device.

https://www.netgear.com/home/contact-us/default.aspx

You can also call the number below.

1-888-NETGEAR (1-888-6384327)

Dexter

NETGEAR Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements