Aspirant

Date and Time off today

The router's current date and time is not correct, Looks like Netgear date and time is messed up today, its on the 4000 and 4500 forums also.. I know mine is messed up..
Message 1 of 31
Novice

Re: Date and Time off today

The logs no longer show *any* time in the events, this can be called a serious security flaw.

Please DEV'S, say *something* !
Message 2 of 31
Luminary

My WNDR3700 date and time is about 5 seconds off, no big deal. What I do see is that the last time NTP ran was 2012-02-12. Which is odd since it usually updates approximately every 24 hours and one second. From log:
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Thursday, February 09,2012 02:54:27
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, February 10,2012 02:54:28
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Saturday, February 11,2012 02:54:29
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Sunday, February 12,2012 02:54:30

Since NTP is hard coded and uses "one of several network time servers on the Internet", there's not much one can do to change to a better server. Especially the ones my computers use.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 3 of 31
Aspirant

I agree but I reset configuration last night and it has not updated yet, I give a day or two..

Chris
Message 4 of 31
Luminary

If the server(s) Netgear forced everyone to use is down, which according to the log I posted above was after 2012-02-12, there's not much anyone outside of Netgear can do to fix the issue. Waiting is all you can do.

What's puzzling is why other people's routers are reverting back to 2003 and not continuing to use the existing date/time since the last NTP update. It's not like NTP is not fully understood.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 5 of 31

Devor wrote:
Since NTP is hard coded and uses "one of several network time servers on the Internet", there's not much one can do to change to a better server
Maybe it's not hard-coded.
root@WNDR3700v2:/# config show | grep ntpserver
ntpserver1=time-b.netgear.com
ntpserver2=time-c.netgear.com
email_ntpserver=GMT-0
ntpserver_select=GMT+8GMT,M3.2.0/2:00,M11.1.0/2:00
Now I don't know whether the 3700 actually uses these config settings for NTP servers. But they exist and could be experimented with.
Message 6 of 31
Novice

I have a WNR2000v3 Router, that has just reverted back to Jan 1 2000. Tried upgrading firmware, downgrading firmware, hard resetting all the time, and no difference.

I get all my log data sent to a specific email address. I have just gone through all my emails looking for time syncronization logs. This was happening twice a day up until 48 hrs ago. So it definitely looks like the Netgear NTP server that is used by all our routers is down, and there are no other NTP servers coded into the router software.

What I did notice is that every time I reset or reboot the router, the exact time reverts back to midnight, Jan 1 2000. It looks like if the Netgear NTP server is down, then the router reverts back to a default time that is hard coded into the router every time it is reset or rebooted.

VERY ANNOYING, to say the least.

David.
Message 7 of 31
Guide

It's reverting back to a build date when people reset it to get the correct time.

Mine (3700) is going back to jan 01 time 00:00:00 year 2000

If they woulda listen'd to me and allowed a way to manually set the time/date......
Message 8 of 31
Aspirant

Because of this time issue, all my schedules are busted. Give us a manual override for the NTP servers. NTP seems to standard Internet protocol.
Message 9 of 31
Luminary

Mine continues to chug along with the correct date and time, minus 5 seconds. Since it seems that I'm using an older firmware than most people, maybe this firmware version ignores the missing Netgear's NTP servers. It stopped logging the synchronization two days ago. Neither IP mentioned by RocketJSquirrel are pingable or traceable.

Of course, Netgear using their own NTP servers allows them to build a database of users. Since you can set the time the router checks NTP, if we all set it to 12:01 pm, maybe we can overload the server and if it keeps going down we can finally get a configurable NTP host. Smiley Very Happy
_____
Message 10 of 31
Guide

Well ....
Linksys once killed the worlds most popular DYDNS site...

Netgear once killed a University...
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~plonka/netgear-sntp/

What I like about that story is that netgear replied 23 days after the report, and asked if the fault fixed itself ;P.....

Anyhow... Perhaps netgear killed their own servers this time and are unsure how to fix it... I am surprised they dont use 2-3 different public NTP servers.
Message 11 of 31
Tutor

Devor wrote:
Mine continues to chug along with the correct date and time, minus 5 seconds.

Mine was too until I rebooted the router.

Now it says the year 2000.
Message 12 of 31
Aspirant

jlewter wrote:
Well ....
Linksys once killed the worlds most popular DYDNS site...

Netgear once killed a University...
Anyhow... Perhaps netgear killed their own servers this time and are unsure how to fix it... I am surprised they dont use 2-3 different public NTP servers.

Still not fixed!! I guess they want to kill off their user base and the product line. Looks like my "replacement" search has been "bumped" up to "important" now. NTP controls now seems to be an "important" feature now.
Message 13 of 31
Luminary

jlewter wrote:
I am surprised they don't use 2-3 different public NTP servers.

As you say, have a drop-down list of public NTP servers, with Netgear's selected by default. Remove a check mark and the user can enter their own.

KevTech wrote:
Mine was too until I rebooted the router. Now it says the year 2000.

Wasn't that kind of expected after a reboot since the router can't access the mother ship?

I have to say that my immediate thoughts were of Richie "LaBamba" Rosenberg from Late Night with Conan O'Brien singing, "In the year 2000". I guess this would be "The Netgear Edition". Smiley Happy
_____
Message 14 of 31
Tutor

I was away on vacation for a week. During that week, my modem and 3700V1 were off. When I turned the 3700 back on, the time reset to 01-01-2000. That was about 2 days ago. Now, the 3700 says 01-02-2000. It still has not reset to the correct date and time!

I have had the 3700 for over a year and this is the first time that I realized that I can do nothing about this issue! This needs to be fixed ASAP!
Message 15 of 31
Aspirant

The routers are not busted. Nor are the firmwares. Ir seems that Netgear "forgot" to renew / restart / re-do / turn on or even "make" their time servers. A quick test of the "posted" time server names, they do not seem to have an IP address assigned.

What give Netgear!!!!!!!!!!
Message 16 of 31
Onlooker

My date is off also, "Current Time: Saturday, Jan 01, 2000 09:04:32"
Message 17 of 31
Guide

Looks like you rebooted it 9 hours ago ;P...

Not sure what is going on. I am sure that it's been spotted, at least, I hope so.
Message 18 of 31
Virtuoso

There are a few threads about this issue for different router models e.g.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=393897&postcount=18

Where I point out a likely reason why Netgear hard code their own NTP server addresses.
Message 19 of 31
Tutor

It's fixed! I got a time sync at 4:30 PM ET (GMT-5)
Message 20 of 31
Aspirant

All my netgear products lost power today and none of the netgear.com ntp servers were giving good values. I changed my readynas to use ntp.org but my wndr3700 has no option to change the ntp settings. Date/time were correct upto yesterday according to my logs. What's up with this?:confused:
Bernie Haverkamp
NV+ 4410
Message 21 of 31
Novice

bhaverkamp wrote:
All my netgear products lost power today and none of the netgear.com ntp servers were giving good values. I changed my readynas to use ntp.org but my wndr3700 has no option to change the ntp settings. Date/time were correct upto yesterday according to my logs. What's up with this?:confused:

Same here, starting yesterday.
Message 22 of 31
Tutor

I have exact correct time, but date set to "Monday, August 24,1992".
Message 23 of 31
Virtuoso

Netgear has NTP server issues hardcoded in the firmware.

WAIT for few days (2-4)or so and it will be be back up.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 24 of 31
Apprentice

quagmire wrote:
I have exact correct time, but date set to "Monday, August 24,1992".

Same here, 8/24/1992 ...
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements