× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Device keeps connecting even after being blocked - R6400

secessit
Aspirant

Device keeps connecting even after being blocked - R6400

Evidently, I posted this to the wrong discussion group, so this is a duplicate entry on the discussion group that was suggested.

On my Netgear R6400 with firmware V1.0.1.62_1.0.41 I have an amazon device that has joined my wireless network that I am not familiar with. I have tried to block the device using the Access Control List, but it continues to report that it is connecting to the network. When that occurs, I am able to ping the device. It appears that the block device feature on the R6400 is not working.

How do I keep the device from getting a DHCP address and jointing the network?

I would really like to be able to edit the DHCP table to remove it, but that does not appear to be possible on this router.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
secessit
Aspirant

Re: Device keeps connecting even after being blocked - R6400

Thank you for the reply.  I did try this method but found that it did not work by simply blocking the MAC address. It did block access, but the MAC address was still assigned and IP address that was being blocked.  I wanted to eliminate it from be issued an IP address as well.  After doing a bit more research I found that once a device has been allowed it will continue to show up and be assigned an address even if blocked.

I resolved the issue by disallowing all new connections, changed the SSID password and blocked the offending MAC address.  After doing all this and then restarting the router, (and changing the passwords on all the allowed devices) I finally eliminated the access and indication of the unwanted device from my router.

As far as I am concerned, this issue is closed.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
RVALENZ
NETGEAR Moderator

Try using mac filter. Check this link out if it helps. https://kb.netgear.com/13112/How-to-configure-Access-Control-or-MAC-Filtering-Smart-Wizard-routers

Regards,
Rhys
Community Team

Message 2 of 3
secessit
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.  I did try this method but found that it did not work by simply blocking the MAC address. It did block access, but the MAC address was still assigned and IP address that was being blocked.  I wanted to eliminate it from be issued an IP address as well.  After doing a bit more research I found that once a device has been allowed it will continue to show up and be assigned an address even if blocked.

I resolved the issue by disallowing all new connections, changed the SSID password and blocked the offending MAC address.  After doing all this and then restarting the router, (and changing the passwords on all the allowed devices) I finally eliminated the access and indication of the unwanted device from my router.

As far as I am concerned, this issue is closed.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7