Re: Device stuck in 'Bypass Login' when no bypass is set up.

I resolved this issue:
Perform a factory reset - paper clip in the little hole on the back.
Change default settings for wireless name and password to the same as they were before.
Your devices should automatically reconnect.
Go into Netgear Genie and select the proper security setting for each device. They won't be stuck anymore.
If you customized security all of that should still be saved since it is managed separately by OpenDNS. It was for me.
Message 76 of 108
Aspirant

Thanks, 

I am assuming netgear is no longer responding.   If there was an official way to do it and not do a factory reset I am interested (I saw netgear emailed some earlier replies to people, maybe it was the factory reset?).      If I don't hear from them (which I am guessing I will not, as they have been silent as of late), I will give this a try later today.   

Thank you!

Mark

Message 77 of 108
Aspirant

Concur

Josh

Message 78 of 108

You guys need to call in to Netgear and speak with their techs.  They resolved my issue.

I couldn't begin to tell you what they did to help me, but mine has been fixed for months now.

No more "bypass login" on my computer or my Phone App.

Everything works like it's supposed to.

Call them for help - they won't help you through this thread alone.

Message 79 of 108
Aspirant

Thanks again!  A factory reset did work.     Has anyone done this and had it "pop up" again?   That was one of my main concerns about doing this rather than having to do a "setup" again.    I was concerned how long does this last before it starts thinking there are bypass logons?  It started with one device and then seemed to migrate to everything (my initial thought was how in the heck did my teenager set up a bypass?).  

Mark

Message 80 of 108
Star

rywhite on page 2 of this thread did two factory resets and saw the problem come back both times. Also whilst talking to Netgear support they have concetrated on asking me to update the Genie app so they clearly suspect software not running on the router itself is at fault. I'm not going to accept that a factory reset is the solution without someone from Netgear explaining what the problem was and publishing a consistent resolution.

Kupthebuckeye. Did you end up doing a factory reset whilst on the phone to Netgear ? My experience with first line phone support is that they go through a checklist actions that are aimed at addressing common and easy to address issues. I'm pretty sure they would get to recommending a factory reset at some point during such an exercise. If that temporarily addressed your issues, as rywhite's post suggests, they would have closed the call and not investigated further.

On a plus point I did get a personal email telling me that support were still looking into my case. Although so far clearly no progress seems to have been made.

I'm not going to purchase or recommend anything from Netgear, at work, to friends, or personally, until this farce gets properly resolved.

Message 81 of 108
Aspirant

I am having the same issue as everyone else and am very unhappy...I want answers and want them now...my Xbox one will not even down load any games now
Message 82 of 108
Aspirant

Same issue with my R6300. Tried resetting router via app and through pushing red button on back and no help. My kid's computers and cell phones are stuck in bypass as well as my husband's iPad. This problems has been going on waaaay too long. Some help please?!?
Message 83 of 108
Aspirant

Hello,

I would like to know if anny of you (unhappy user of netgear) have found a better solution in order to protect the family.

a circle (with Disney) boox?

a Cisco router (but which one?)

One of my otehr problem is that I want to make sure that youtube and google are in a "safe" mode  and this should be done on the router than on individual tablet / android phone / PC etc (well ,not possible to do on an old android phone anyway)

thanks by advance for suggesting another equipement

Message 84 of 108
Aspirant

Helllo, 

I was wondering if any of you have solved the probem or changed the equipment.

Which equipment works better? (a cricle box? a cisco router?)

Thanks !

Message 85 of 108
Star

So I've now been through the experience of multiple factory resets. Restoring a previously saved configuration from when the problem was apparent just immediately restores the problem. The final reset from a long call with a support engineer resulted in a working configuration that lasted a few weeks before the problem became apparent again. I reset the router again this weekend and it did not last long enough for me to be able to complete the configuration of my devices. The resulting configuration is already broken in an unacceptable way and I have to find time to do another reset and hope for a better outcome. I really wanted the parental controls to work given the serious ransomeware outbreak this weekend. I have children on study leave at home that need to access the internet for their school work. As much as I can try to educate them they are still relatively naive. So I'm now busy taking additional backups to devices that will be then taken off the network just in case the worst happens. I bet Netgear won't compensate anyone for any losses prompted by their parental controls being so fundamentally broken. 

Message 86 of 108
Tutor

latest model . 2.0 firmware.still have the same problem. I did the factory rest. it let me change setting for 3 devices and the 4 one just automatically showed bypass login.
someone please fix it
Message 87 of 108
Tutor

mine is the orbi 4 series
Message 88 of 108
Star

Just to let everyone know that support passed on a recommendation from Netgear engineering that I update to the latest firmware update for the X8 R8500 i.e. V1.0.2.106 and do yet another factory reset (I've done so many I can probably do them with my hands tied). If anything it made things much worse. I have had more issues of the type reported in this thread than previously almost immediately after the reset. Also I experienced irritating connectivity issues with devices that previously had no problems. Windows and iOS Genie disagree in what device settings they report. I see nothing that convinces me that this issue is being taken seriously by Netgear engineering. 

Message 89 of 108
Aspirant

When is Netgear going to fix this problem? I have the RBR50 with the latest firmware updates. I'm also using the latest Netgenie Android application.

Factory resetting the router does get things back on track, however, it will quickly derail when you change the filter level of a device that has been problematic on the network. For example, changing the filter level to high on a Samsung TV resulted in the filter level being changed to "Bypass login". I never selected "Bypass login".

Message 90 of 108
Aspirant

I have just installed an RBR50 Orbi system and have had exactly the same issue.  I enabled Parental Controls and changed one of my kid's phones to a different setting.  Now the setting can't be changed as the Genie app just states that the Bypass Login is active on that phone (even though no software has been installed on it).

I installed the Genie app on the phone, created a bypass account, logged it in and logged it off.  No effect.  It would be good to have this fixed as it is very annoying.  

Any updates from Netgear on how to work around this?

Message 91 of 108
Aspirant

Upgrade your firmware and enable Circle instead.
Message 92 of 108
Aspirant

I have updated the firmware when installing the Orbi. Not sure what "circle" is however?
Message 93 of 108
Aspirant

Circle with Disney provides parental controls features. Download the Circle with Disney app from the Google Play store or IOS app store. You'll need to enable "Circle" within the router via routerlogin.net or NetGenie. Look under parental controls. The OpenDNS parental controls don't work well so use Circle instead.
Message 94 of 108
Star

Disney Circle does give the appearance of being a little more sophisticated than Netgear Live Parental Controls and OpenDNS. However only more sophisticated than OpenDNS if you pay the monthly subscription and it seems as if it is only available in the US. My perception of the problems Netgear Live Parental Controls and OpenDNS is that they are issues in the Netgear firmware and the Genie apps rather than OpenDNS. Given this I have to wonder whether Disney Circle is going to be any more reliable even if I could use it. Disney Circle is only supported on 3 Netgear routers according to their marketing material (with support on Orbi coming soon). I paid a lot of money for my R8500 and shouldn't expect to have to replace it because a headline and fundamental feature that does not work is now implemented differently on differernt hardware. It's not EOL, indeed I can still get a purchase link for it on the Netgear web site. And why should I have to pay for a feature I was lead to believe was included in the featureset and heavily emphasised in marketing material. The issues with parental controls in Netgear routers were raised in these forums more than 2 years ago and there has been nothing that I can describe as a fix from Netgear. There is a security perspective to these issues. I remain convinced that if these impacted a commercial organisation like a bank Netgear would sweating blood to get a fix out rather than sticking their heads in the sand.

Message 95 of 108
Tutor

Circle works really well, better than open DNS in my opinion.  It's free through the router unless you want the CircleGo feature, which allows the parental controls to follow a device wherever it goes.  It's very reliable and they actually sell a standalone device that is compatible with most networks.  That's what I had and then they upgraded the firmware to include it here.  I'm in the US, so can't speak to it working elsewhere.  I agree that Netgear's response on this issue is abysmal...

Message 96 of 108
Aspirant

I am a bit concerned about upgrading manually to the new firmware and having issues.  I read a bit in the forums that the new release is causing dropouts.  I have only had the unit for a day so I want to test it for a while first.

The family circle protection will have to wait for now I think.

Message 97 of 108
Star

Looks like this thread has died even though the issue(s) that prompted it are far from resolved. At least for me. I'm prompted to post yet again because I've just received a request to upgrade to V1.0.2.106 and reset my X8. Those with the will power to read this entire thread will notice I was asked to do this in October 2010 and it did not help. Reported here and directly to the support team at the time. It is heading towards 2 years since this issue was first raised by me (and noticed long before this) and yet we have not got past the first line support default advice script. I'm almost as keen to understand how a company can remain successful whilst offering such dysfunctional and ineffective customer support. 

Message 98 of 108

Do you have an issue that you want solved?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 99 of 108
Star

Reading this thread would confirm I have the issue that prompted this thread and would like it solved. Also that I'm extremely frustrated by the lack of progress and the indifferent responses from Netgear support to what are a collection of fundamental issues in the Netgear Live parental controls. So - 

1. As intially reported by myself and others in this thread devices that cannot support a bypass login randomly get into a state where they report that they are logged in using a bypass account. Since bypass login is not supported you cannot logout and set alternative levels of parental control filtering. Once this, or the other behaviours noted below are observed, they are all observed in some degree. Thus rendering the parental controls completely unusable.

2. Per device filtering levels cannot be modified.

3. I have a device that persistently reports itself as a gaming console and this cannot be changed.

4. iOS Genie and Windows Genie report different device types for the same connected device. 

5. My router registered itself with OpenDNS Netgear live parental controls using both its internal and external MAC addresses. It should only have done this using the external MAC address. When OpenDNS deleted both registrations the router did the same again.

6. When I login to parental controls I am currently unable to turn on parental controls. They immediately revert back to off when turned on.

7. iOS and Windows Genie regularly report different sets of devices as being connected to my network

The default recommended resolution of resetting the router works for variable amounts of time. Issues can return before I even complete restoring my settings and preferences to several days later. During this time the router has been RMA'ed. The laptop, iPhone, and iPad that I use have all been replaced. I have updated the router firmware at least three times. Windows and iOS have been through numerous OS updates as well as Genie updates. I have spent an hour with support engineer where all we effectively did was reset the router. I have supplied the router configuration to support at least twice. I have supplied endless screen shots confirming software versions and error messages. Sometimes duplicating information previously supplied. The support ticket has been closed and reopened twice for no clear reason(a cynic might assume only to ensure positive support ticket SLA metrics). All the engineering team ever suggest to the support team is updating to the latest version of the firmware and/or Genie. Often when a particular version is recommended I have already updated it and even reported that the issues persist against it. I have never received any suggestion that the root cause has been identified and actually fixed. Or even that the information I have supplied was used in any meaningful way to diagnose the issue(s). Every few months it seems like the engineering team taking care of the issue gets replaced and we go back to square one. An example being what prompted my previous post. I have an older R6300 and the parental controls behaved in a similar broken manner anad never worked either. I bought the R8500 partially in hope it might be more relaible and stable. I see people posting similar experiences being fobbed off with the reset the router default response and this not resolving the situation either. I have not done anything that might compromise the router warranty. I have complex but well constructed home network with more than 50 connected devices of numerous type. I have a software engineering background and, whilst not truly expert, understand far more about networking and distributed computing than most home users of Netgear products. Frankly I would be happier if Netgear simply admitted their parental controls don't work rather than repeatedly be asked to go through the motions of hoping a reset or some new firmware/Genie version might accidentally resolve the issues. Even better then compensate those of us who bought their products on the assumption that a headline feature was actually fit for purpose and worked. 

Message 100 of 108
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements