× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Did a factory reset on my PLW1000 V2 - now default admin / password does not work

EricLevinson
Aspirant

Did a factory reset on my PLW1000 V2 - now default admin / password does not work

I was having erratric results from connectivity and decided to do a hardware factory reset by putting a paperclip in the hole and holding it for 15 seconds.

Unit reset ok - and I can connect to the network now using the default SSID and password written on the unit.

When I try to connect to the device's web page - I entered in the default username and password, "admin" and "password" and the unit says its invalid.

I also tried my previous password - and it too is invalid.

I had recently updated this to firmware .18 a few weeks ago.  I would like to put my SSID and password back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Model: PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
EricLevinson
Aspirant

Re: Did a factory reset on my PLW1000 V2 - now default admin / password does not work

@antinode I already read the manual and it says the factory default username is admin and the factory default password is password.  

Yes - originally I was able to set the unit up with admin / password and put in a custom password - I tried that one as well and it didn't work.

I just noticed there are two versions of this device PLW1000V2 - there's an older one (which I have) and a newer one that has the password set to password.

The older one password is the same as the default wifi password.  I just tested it and it works.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] I entered in the default username and password, "admin" and
> "password" and the unit says its invalid.

Ok.

> I also tried my previous password - and it too is invalid.

A "my previous password" which you had chosen, or something else?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You might try an under-appreciated resource:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for
"Customize Your Network Settings", and "3. Enter the user name admin and
the password. [...]".

Did you try all the various possibilities?

Message 2 of 4
EricLevinson
Aspirant

@antinode I already read the manual and it says the factory default username is admin and the factory default password is password.  

Yes - originally I was able to set the unit up with admin / password and put in a custom password - I tried that one as well and it didn't work.

I just noticed there are two versions of this device PLW1000V2 - there's an older one (which I have) and a newer one that has the password set to password.

The older one password is the same as the default wifi password.  I just tested it and it works.

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 4
antinode
Guru

> [...] I already read the manual and it says [...]

Which "the manual"?  Read it again?  Fetch a recent copy, and read it
again?

> I just noticed there are two versions of this device PLW1000V2 -
> there's an older one (which I have) and a newer one that has the
> password set to password.
>
> The older one password is the same as the default wifi password.

As I read the manual, you have "older" and "newer" reversed, but, ...

> [...] I just tested it and it works.

So long as one of them works, that's what matters most.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7