× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disable SSID Broadcast

socalgail
Tutor

Disable SSID Broadcast

I regret buying this device. This ridiculous community will not even let me post a question and keep sending me to Arlo, whatever that is.

How do I turn off the SSID broadcast? How do I DISABLE the SSID broadcast? Or if this router does not allow you to turn it off at least say so.

Model: WNDR3600v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

You can disable SSID broadcast in the wireless set up section. If you think hiding SSID imroves security, simple answer is not much.

I don't hide my SSID on my router. Experts can snoop your SSID even if it is not broadcasted

Message 2 of 5
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Below is the link on how to disable the SSID. 

How to hide your NETGEAR wireless router SSID network name

Message 3 of 5
socalgail
Tutor

I am not trying to disable SSID broadcasts for security. I use encryption for that. The SSID broadcast is a repeated, periodic, and unnecessary blast of EMF energy which is detrimental to the health and safety of people seated in close proximity to the router. Turning it off is beneficial and recommended since once all the devices on a LAN have identified the name of the router, they no longer need to keep updating its SSID.

Message 4 of 5
socalgail
Tutor

The link you sent [ https://kb.netgear.com/30230/How-to-hide-your-NETGEAR-wireless-router-SSID-network-name?cid=wmt_netg... ] worked perfectly even though my NETGEAR router model is a WNDR3600v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band.The instructions appear to be the interface for the Nighthawk X4 R7500v2.

The problem I was having before is that by running the NETGEAR Genie application from the command line, I was not able to access all the settings. It is essential to use a browser on a device connected by wire to the router and to access the genie interface via the www.routerlogin.com URL. This will then prompt you to sign in. From there, all the settings are available. It is also recommended to turn off the SSID broadcast from the Guest Network, to be sure that Network is set to use encryption and to use a second password for that access, even if no one else is using it.

Again, turning off SSID broadcast is not for security but rather for health and safety of personnel.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7