Disappointed with WNDR4300

morph1
Aspirant

Disappointed with WNDR4300

Hey all,
First post here...,
The WNDR4300 is my 3rd NETGEAR router , I started off of WNR3500v2 which was absolutely great it replaced my piece of crap Belkin, and it worked for about 3 years perfectly, eventually it died , and it got replaced with another NETGEAR router WNDR 3400 which worked great but for wired network it was only 10/100 Mbps
I needed something faster as I have 4 computers on sharing and I deal with large files working as a graphic designer... So buddy of mine needed a router so I sold him the WNDR 3400 and decided to go with the 4300 - 1000 Mbps , so I could run faster wired connection between my ReadyNAS and other computers..., I was impressed with the wired transfer rates especially with ReadyNAS it is a substantial improvement in transfer rates...
My initial mistake was purchasing the WNDR 3400 and not realizing it was only 10/100.
Well after 3 days of testing I feel like returning this WNDR4300 and maybe going with Asus Router for a change....,
The problems I can see right from the very start is , the 3400 I was able to reach from my parking lot in my town house complex, it was only showing 1 bar on my cell but I could connect from my car and check e-mail, the new 4300 I cant even see the signal being half way the distance..., the 5G connection is very unreliable , it cuts out all the time and has problems re-establishing connection..., the new router 4300 is located in the exact same spot as the 3400 , the connection on both bands drop frequently, where the 3400 worked flawlessly... My current router firmware ver. is V1.0.1.42
What is up with my new router ??
anyone.

thanks,

Drew
Message 1 of 6
morph1
Aspirant

Re: Disappointed with WNDR4300

anyone ?
I just calculated the distance from my farthest point and it's in range of 20 FT
I mean this should be nothing, the WNDR 3400 router was projecting signal up to 100 FT.
Is this new 4300 a lemon ? is that a common problem with this router, is it a defective
product ? anyone...
I would like to make a decision in regards to a return and exchange this afternoon...
I am a strong believer in Netgear , but this one is way beyond (in reverse) my expectations....
Message 2 of 6
morph1
Aspirant

Someone on another forum mentioned switching that router from N to A or B...
how would I do that ...

anyone ?
Message 3 of 6
BlacknWhite
Aspirant

I'm using the same router and firmware and range is much better than 20'! The house is stucco, and the older Netgear a/b/g router would barely transmit outside the walls. The 4300 lets me surf the web from an iPhone 4s from about 50' outside the walls (cellular network disabled on the phone). If you read through the reviews at Amazon the 4300 seems to be having hardware quality issues. They work great at first, then start dropping wireless connections, or the range starts falling off. This may be your problem. If so, contact Netgear support and keep your fingers crossed for a replacement.

HTH,

Scot
Message 4 of 6
mlc20
Aspirant

You could try loading DD-WRT onto it. The issues I am having with mine were sorta resolved with that, but my max speed was limited. I am paying for 50/25, and with DD-WRT I would only get around 40/15. On the Stock firmware I would get 55/25. Only issue with stock firmware is the network slows down occasionally. What are your wireless devices?
Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

return it while you can still get a refund!
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements