Highlighted
Follower

Disconnecting a user with my WNDR3400v2

I didn't know where else to put this question so if this isn't the right place I beg forgiveness.

I have an N600 Wireless Dual Band Router (WNDR3400v2) and I am wondering if there is a way to manage all the devices in my household who connect to it. I can see a list of attached devices but I can't do anything but view the list. I would like if it is possible with this router to make it so certain devices can't use the router. Like if a certain child is spending way to much time on the iPod touch and doing lousy in school. Then I could deny them access to the internet. Hope that makes sense. I have looked for some help in the documentation but cannot find anything. Most of the stuff is over my head. I don't even know if it can be done with this router.

StevoD
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Disconnecting a user with my WNDR3400v2

There is a way to manage the connection of each devices in your household. But it is limited to denying WiFi connection only. meaning, wired connection are still same as they are.

Try to learn how to set up the Wireless Card Access List (or MAC filtering) on your router. MAC filtering is all about white list access to the WiFi connection.

To do this; Take note of all the MAC address of each devices in your household as seen on the attached devices. Activate the Wireless Card Access List, it should be under the advance wireless settings. Add the MAC address of each devices that you want to access through the WiFi connection.

The messy part is, you need to go back to the same page and remove the MAC address on the list if you need to prohibit access to that wireless device.

On the other, If you don't like MAC filtering, try to set an Live Parental Control. LPC is all about prohibiting the access to the websites.
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Apprentice

You are in the correct forum.
StevoD wrote:
...I have looked for some help in the documentation but cannot find anything.

What documentation? Do you mean the 4 manuals you can download from the Downloads tab at the top of this page? They are in plain English. There is also a help section in the right pane when you get into the GUI. You may not understand everything immediately, but if you start slowly you'll get there.

You can:

- Use the Access Control List to control which device connects to your network wirelessly (although a tech-savvy person can bypass it).
- Schedule a time to shutdown the router's wireless broadcast on a regular schedule.

If you don't take the time to learn this stuff for yourself, no one is going to hold your hand through the entire procedure. You must demonstrate initiative and willingness to help yourself. If there are technical parts you stumble at, some one in the forums may be able to make suggestions.
Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I would like if it is possible with this router to make it so certain devices can't use the router. Like if a certain child is spending way to much time on the iPod touch and doing lousy in school. Then I could deny them access to the internet. Hope that makes sense.

if you are trying to stop the access of using the network at "will" then no. Router can NOT drop user in the way.

This model do come with LPC (netgear.com/lpc) and use can utilize the schedule method to control the how he/she should be using the internet access

Been you want control other than PC here is other services ( NOT FREE) but you may be interested.
http://www.mobicip.com
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

StevoD wrote:
I didn't know where else to put this question so if this isn't the right place I beg forgiveness.

I have an N600 Wireless Dual Band Router (WNDR3400v2) and I am wondering if there is a way to manage all the devices in my household who connect to it. I can see a list of attached devices but I can't do anything but view the list. I would like if it is possible with this router to make it so certain devices can't use the router. Like if a certain child is spending way to much time on the iPod touch and doing lousy in school. Then I could deny them access to the internet. Hope that makes sense. I have looked for some help in the documentation but cannot find anything. Most of the stuff is over my head. I don't even know if it can be done with this router.

StevoD
as for directly controlling the computer from the rougher , yes it is possible by adding all connecting devices to a access list by MAC address , leaving what devices you don't want to access the rougher. as this can be quite problematic for you as to get them connected again you would have to re-add the device mac address again. i suggest using and setting up parental controls as it will set times, web sites and basically block the kids from anything you don't want them to access. check the web for setup of live parental controls on your rougher, this will get you set up and blocking the kids in no time, also be sure to set up a bypass account for yourself or anyone you should have all access to the rougher. good luck. and in advance you are welcome.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements