× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does an WNDR3400 work as an wi-fi repeater if the security of the main router is set to WPA2-PSK

simplex1
Aspirant

Does an WNDR3400 work as an wi-fi repeater if the security of the main router is set to WPA2-PSK (AE

Does an WNDR3400 work as an wi-fi repeater if the security of the main router is set to WPA2-PSK (AES)?

I have an WNDR3400|N600 router which I want to use as a Wi-Fi repeater.

Can I do it for this situation:

The main router in the building (the one connected to the modem) has this security setting which can not be changed because more than 30 people use it:

Authentication Method: WPA2-Personal

WPA Encryption: AES 

In WNDR3400|N600 -> Advanced -> Wireless Repeating Function, I tried to select Enable Wireless Repeating Function but I got the message "The wireless security options ... WPA2-PSK (AES), ... are not available if you enable the wireless repeating function ...". 

Does this mean that it is useless as a Wi-Fi repeater for me?

Model: WNDR3400|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 33

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Does an WNDR3400 work as an wi-fi repeater if the security of the main router is set to WPA2-PSK

@simplex1 wrote:

The question is, what security is this (WEP or None), is it between me and the WNDR3400v1, is it between the WNDR3400v1 and the main router, or simply the security for both connections has to be set to WEP or None

The entire wifi network needs to be either WEP or none.  WEP was cracked long ago, so it is not secure.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 33

All Replies

Which version of the WNDR3400?

Some routers can operate as wifi repeaters. Others will work if they are (LAN) wired to the source they are repeating.

This is the manual for one version:

WNDR3400v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

See page 78. This also explains the wireless security options.

Message 2 of 33
simplex1
Aspirant

I have a v1, WNDR3400v1.

On page 5-26 the manual says: "The wireless security option must be set to WEP or None."

The question is, what security is this (WEP or None), is it between me and the WNDR3400v1, is it between the WNDR3400v1 and the main router, or simply the security for both connections has to be set to WEP or None and so I am obliged to also change the security of the main router to WEP or None, which is impossible because the reasons I have already explained.

Message 3 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@simplex1 wrote:

The question is, what security is this (WEP or None), is it between me and the WNDR3400v1, is it between the WNDR3400v1 and the main router, or simply the security for both connections has to be set to WEP or None

The entire wifi network needs to be either WEP or none.  WEP was cracked long ago, so it is not secure.

Message 4 of 33
William10a
Master

The wndr3400v1 can use wpa2 personal and if you use dd-wrt it has a reaper function I beleive that the netgear firmware has it too. As the wdnr3400v1 is listed as end of service life in the netgear support section under downloads. Your opions are open people still the Linksys wrt54g a g router with third party firmware as repeaters 12vots dc and you have mobile repeater with limited features.

Message 5 of 33
StephenB
Guru

If you have ethernet at that location, you could set it up as an access point instead.

There is no direct UI support for it, but there is some information here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Routers-802-11b-g-n-Legacy/Need-help-setting-up-WNDR3400-as-ac...

Message 6 of 33
William10a
Master

With 100mbits ports a lan ports on a wndr3400v1 an over power adaptor should work to turn the wndr3400v1 into a access point.

Message 7 of 33

@William10a wrote:

With 100mbits ports a lan ports on a wndr3400v1 an over power adaptor should work to turn the wndr3400v1 into a access point.

Powerline rather than "over power"? Or is that what you mean?

Or bin the wndr3400v1 and get Powerline wifi.

Message 8 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Or bin the wndr3400v1 and get Powerline wifi.

That depends on how the building is wired.  In the US office buildings often have much longer runs to the circuit breaker boxes, and are receiving 3-phase power that is then split. 

It's worth a try, but running ethernet might be a better option.

Message 9 of 33

The bit that threw me, and the prompt for my reply, was the "over power adaptor".

What the heck is that?

I have heard of, and used, power-over-LAN. (Before LAN-over-power appeared.) Is that what it means.

But if you read the Netgear rubric on LAN-over-power, it may work over 3-phase power.

Message 10 of 33
William10a
Master

I meant to say lan over power phrase one to ground will give you a 120 to 125 volts phrase two will the same but the thrid phrase will not  in the us on 480 three phrease. A lan cable would be better uo use if you can it and your length is 100 meters or less (330 feet or less).If your lucky you many have acat5 running in a wall already for telephone jack wiring if you ae not going to use the jack may be able find and to use the cable to link the areas where you want the access point.

Message 11 of 33

Forgive me for continuing to be baffled. When you write:

@William10a wrote:

I meant to say lan over power phrase one to ground will give you a 120 to 125 volts phrase two will the same but the thrid phrase will not  in the us on 480 three phrease.

Do you mean:

"I meant to say LAN over power.

"Phase one to ground will give you a 120 to 125 volts.

"Phase two will the same but in the us on 480-volt three-phase the third phase will not."

I still do not understand it, I am not an electrician. But the way it was written probably made it harder for me to get anywhere.

I mention this because simplex1 may be as baffled as I was. They ,may also wonder why anyone started talking about mains supply. They didn't raise it. So, without more details, this is all theorising

Message 12 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

But if you read the Netgear rubric on LAN-over-power, it may work over 3-phase power.

The keyword is "may".  

Some years ago I investigated using powerline networking to interconnect some of my company's enterprise products.  It's been a while,and powerline is faster now.  We quickly abandoned the idea because it didn't work on our own premises.

Each of the three phases was split out to its own circuit breaker box.  The building was reasonally large, and the breaker boxes were a long way from my area of the building.  In some larger rooms, different outlets were using different circuits - and sometimes different phases. If the two powerline modules were connected through different breaker boxes, performance was horrible.  If it crossed circuits within same phase, it upgraded to "poor".  

My conclusion was that powerline works better in home environents.  Though my home also has two breaker boxes.  Even with single-phase, there is a significant drop-off when I connect across them.  

Message 13 of 33

@StephenB wrote:

My conclusion was that powerline works better in home environments.  Though my home also has two breaker boxes.  Even with single-phase, there is a significant drop-off when I connect across them.  

I can't disagree with that. Powerline shows little sign of being a technology designed for business use. And a company that is trying to implement communications on the cheap is asking for trouble. Even stringing a long LAN connection is a bit sticking plaster.

One the second point, I also run powerline through two boxes. Yes, there is a fall off, but it is acceptable, and positively rapid for those of us brought up on ISDN let alone ADSL.

Message 14 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

One the second point, I also run powerline through two boxes. Yes, there is a fall off, but it is acceptable, and positively rapid for those of us brought up on ISDN let alone ADSL.

For me it was usable, but somewhat slower than my current ISP speed.  The house is wired for ethernet, so I was just evaluating it.  If I wanted to get wifi out to my garage (stand-alone structure) I'd certainly use it.

Message 15 of 33

@StephenB wrote:
If I wanted to get wifi out to my garage (stand-alone structure) I'd certainly use it.

That's my scenario. I have two separate Internet services. One for home the other for "garage". I sometimes want to get into the home circuit from the garage.

I just ran a test and got a download speed over powerline of >16Mbps from a theoretical 52 Mbps ISP connection, but the final leg was via wifi to tablet. I could probably get more if pushed it, but 16Mbps is hardly a slouch and does the job I want.

Message 16 of 33
William10a
Master

The bit that threw me, and the prompt for my reply, was the "over power adaptor".

What the heck is that?

I have heard of, and used, power-over-LAN. (Before LAN-over-power appeared.) Is that what it means.

I meant to say lan over power phrase one to ground will give you a 120 to 125 volts phrase two will the same but the thrid phrase will not  in the us on 480 three phase the vacuum pumps we used were 3 phrease 480 volts, and the 120 and 240 all off the main breaker box.

A cat5 or 6 cable is the best answer if a dropped ceiling would be great too allowing a over head run. 

Message 17 of 33
simplex1
Aspirant

1) Unfortunately, there is no serious possibility to run a cable from the main router to the WNDR3400v1. It would be too complicated.
2) The main router and the WNDR3400v1 are in two different partitions of the building which have different numbers. I am not sure I can use Power Line Communication.
3) I connected the WNDR3400v1 by cable to an WN3000PR Universal WiFi Range Extender (the security is WPA2 for this extender) that is connected by Wi-Fi to the main router. Like this the WNDR3400v1 works but it is of little use as long as I can use the WN3000PR alone.

Message 18 of 33
William10a
Master

1) Unfortunately, there is no serious possibility to run a cable from the main router to the WNDR3400v1. It would be too complicated.
2) The main router and the WNDR3400v1 are in two different buildings. I am not sure I can use Power Line Communication.
3) I connected the WNDR3400v1 by cable to an WN3000PR Universal WiFi Range Extender (the security is WPA2 for this extender) that is connected by Wi-Fi to the main router. Like this the WNDR3400v1 works but it is of little use as long as I can use the WN3000PR alone.

Does the router you want to repeat from have external antennas?

Since there are two buildings you could feed the wifi with directional antennas face to face one on each building mounted on the outside.

The building that needs the wifi would need a wireless repeater that allow a extremal antenna connection.

What router is your main router.

Message 19 of 33
William10a
Master

Here's a company that may have your answer they http://www.ccrane.com/Xtreme-15-WiFi-Repeater-System

Message 20 of 33

William10a, is there any chance that you can do something about posting messages that make it easier to know which bits you are quoting and which bits are your replies?

It is impossible to tell where the join is in your latest message.

Try this:

• Hit Quote
  • Write your reply.
  • Post.

Message 21 of 33
William10a
Master

The main router and the WNDR3400v1 are in two different buildings. I am not sure I can use Power Line Communication.

Here's a company that may have your answer they http://www.ccrane.com/Xtreme-15-WiFi-Repeater-System

here is a system that offers a possible way of connecting two remote locations with wifi from one building to another building  directional antennas forming a wifi repeater using external antennas mounted outside or intertnal antennas inside thought this fits the needs of the poster. They can still use their main router they have. it should work like a cell tower relaying the signal from one place to another place if a clear line of sight for the antennas.

I know it is outside the box idea but is a real world answer for his problem.

Message 22 of 33
William10a
Master

I'am sorry that I may seem like some of my question do not may sense But I like to be able see in my mind the picture of the issue and be able to break it down in to parts. It is easier to remove the parts of the problem then you can divide the problem into half's. The reason I even posted the information the remote link the wifi signals they want in building from a different building makes  there are two separate buildings and  no way to run  a cat 5 or 6 cable or use powered lan is out because of different power feeds.

Message 23 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@William10a wrote:

I'am sorry that I may seem like some of my question do not may sense 

I think Michael is just asking you to use quotes (or some form of punctuation) around the text you copy/paste. That would make it easier to follow some of your responses.

Message 24 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@simplex1 wrote:

Yes.  The WNDR3400 isn't very useful for what you are wanting to do, given the constraints you have.  

If you had ethernet running to it from the main network, you could use is as an AP,  But you don't.

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7